Tapatalk Forum

I follow Cruise Critic on Tapatalk. The app is easier to use than opening my browser, loading the Cruise Critic website, login and find my forum. I contacted Tapatalk and they suggested I contact the forum and request it. I know I am not the only one that uses Tapatalk, so I would appreciate the ability to access Cruise Critic again via that app  Otherwise, I will just say goodbye to Cruise Critic and get my information elsewhere. I tried to post on one of your stickies that was looking for comments and the comments had been closed with no comments posted. It appears you really do not want comments on how bad this forum has become. 

• Like 4

I once belonged to a forum that a fair number of users, especially heavy users who created a lot of content, accessed through TapaTalk.

After an update of the forum, TapaTalk access was discontinued.

Within 6 months, the forum had basically dried up.

I get that ad revenue is an issue when users aren't accessing the forum through your site.  But content creation is what brings page views.  Cutting off a popular access method for creating content is something that I hope was thought about before the decision was made to discontinue support of that app.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

They said from the beginning that the app would be going away and as of now there is no plan to reinstate it.

They said from the beginning that the Cruise Critic app was being discontinued. Nothing about blocking access from independent third-party apps like Tapatalk, which are specifically designed to be clean, efficient, and easy to use on a mobile device, while minimizing mobile data bandwidth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, just_dont said:

They said from the beginning that the Cruise Critic app was being discontinued. Nothing about blocking access from independent third-party apps like Tapatalk, which are specifically designed to be clean, efficient, and easy to use on a mobile device, while minimizing mobile data bandwidth. 

Tapatalk isn't an Independent third-party app. Tapatalk is a service that requires that the forum install a Tapatalk plugin on the server to access the database. Forum owners can sign up for the service. The Cruise Critic app was simply a private branded version of Tapatalk that used the same server plugin. The reason that the app went away was because they didn't want to or couldn't maintain that plugin anymore.

6 hours ago, Brandis said:

This is indeed an incentive for me to find another forum that continues to support Tapatalk.

I access message boards mostly via iPhone and find it much more convenient using Tapatalk.

I agree. I'm so disappointed that I  can't use Tapatalk.  I really like reading Cruise Critic but going about it this way is very clunky.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

As I understand it Tapatalk comes in two flavors, a free versions supported by ads or for a monthly fee an add free version. Why should CC incur costs so that Tapatalk can make money?

Tapatalk does a revenue share with forum owners. I don't know how it breaks down on a forum like this but it's not like CC doesn't get anything from Tapatalk users.

Just now, ProvoAggie said:

Tapatalk does a revenue share with forum owners. I don't know how it breaks down on a forum like this but it's not like CC doesn't get anything from Tapatalk users.

I guess CC decided the revenue was not worth the cost.

Annoying, I agree with Brandis. It seems to be quite useable on the mobile using a web browser but still no comparison. I see no ads when using the new message boards on osx or iOS devices anyway so they probably made more revenue when I used the tapatalk app. Makes a difference if you can comfortable go through the boards while commuting with all the other forums in tapatalk or explicitly browser to this site. No doubt that will vastly reduce the time spent here for me.

There have been security issues over the years and the forum has to be diligent about keeping up 3rd party apps and Tapatalk is sometimes slow to respond.

There was an issue in April this year where a member of another forum without an account could read private messages on any forum just by editing the link to the pm.

This took about 3 weeks to fix after it was identified. the issues is do we want someone from anywhere.com reading our cruise critic PM's?

Its a headache to maintain with secure and non secure posts (mixed content) that sometimes is blocked.

The downside is users leave because they like it but its a real trade off, have the ability to keep your all your doors locked and maintain the locks internally or rely on someone else to fix the break ins on their schedule when they happen and CC be responsible to the users for something that CC can't control.

It is a choice where they have to evaluate risk vs cost.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, broberts said:

As I understand it Tapatalk comes in two flavors, a free versions supported by ads or for a monthly fee an add free version. Why should CC incur costs so that Tapatalk can make money?

I really don’t understand why you participate in this  conversation if you are happy with the new format. One funny thing is that I can now peruse CC without one ad! 🤣🤣🤣 The mobile version is so messed up. 

3 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I really don’t understand why you participate in this  conversation if you are happy with the new format. One funny thing is that I can now peruse CC without one ad! 🤣🤣🤣 The mobile version is so messed up. 

So this thread is only for those who want to make uninformative posts including words such as "messed up" or "sucks"?

• Like 1

I emailed Tapatalk and they are in contact with Cruise Critic. They said CC is slow to respond and so suggested Tapatalk users contact CC themselves and request a connection. CC is making it difficult to contact them directly. I have the paid version of Tapatalk and will miss using it if it does not connect with CC. And like others here, I rarely come back and access the board. Much too cumbersome. If anyone knows of an app similar to Tapatalk that does the same thing, I hope they share it so we can all use it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

I emailed Tapatalk and they are in contact with Cruise Critic. They said CC is slow to respond and so suggested Tapatalk users contact CC themselves and request a connection. CC is making it difficult to contact them directly. I have the paid version of Tapatalk and will miss using it if it does not connect with CC. And like others here, I rarely come back and access the board. Much too cumbersome. If anyone knows of an app similar to Tapatalk that does the same thing, I hope they share it so we can all use it

1 hour ago, broberts said:

So this thread is only for those who want to make uninformative posts including words such as "messed up" or "sucks"?

You left off crap. 😉😇

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I did add a desktop site and it is a bit better. Still cannot find the posts I have replied to. Miss not having those show up and see them with one click. As one who dislikes change, it will take a while, but I will eventually fall in step with what is before me and let go of what was...such is life

4 hours ago, cabinluvn said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did add a desktop site and it is a bit better. Still cannot find the posts I have replied to. Miss not having those show up and see them with one click. As one who dislikes change, it will take a while, but I will eventually fall in step with what is before me and let go of what was...such is life

If you are on a desktop hover over your profile in any message, then click find content

image.png.fabf9c286dbe84c467e49ccf5a5e393a.png

You can also get there from the little down arrow next to your name and pick manage followed content.

image.png.4839eda875e2b0c1127090bafca4a56b.png

and you can get there using Activity streams at the top of the page

image.png.37ccb714604725d956e30e816e3331ad.png

The forum change happened while I was on a cruise with minimal access to the internet. I appreciate some of the advice others have given regarding the mobile version of the new CC boards, but Tapatalk was still a much better solution for me.  The big one is I participate in a variety of other forums that all support Tapatalk, so I had one place to see updated posts and a common interface among all of the forums.  I also liked the simple, clean and fast interface.  I could review so many more posts with Tapatalk than any of the web based interfaces.  Less graphics and formatting code was also helpful when using slow internet connections such as a lot of cruise ship internet and cell data.  That said, I will give the mobile site a try and set up links to a couple of forums.  We will see what happens . . .

• Like 1