Tapatalk Forum

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That  issue on Tapatalk is only is only with the Cruise Critic forums. I use Tapatalk on five other communities and they display an endless number of threads. I am also on the Tapatalk Support Group forum and none of the thousands of communities that use their app reports the issue. Some code on Cruise Criric is limiting what Tapatalk displays.

CC works in a particular manner, it is up to Tapatalk to adjust. The fact that there are other communities using the same base software is immaterial. Obviously these communities have not adopted customizations and configurations necessary to satisfy CC needs. 

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

CC works in a particular manner, it is up to Tapatalk to adjust. The fact that there are other communities using the same base software is immaterial. Obviously these communities have not adopted customizations and configurations necessary to satisfy CC needs. 

Tapatalk can’t change the Cruise Critic code or server settings. I think it would be more appropriate to say Cruise Critic works in a peculiar manner. As far as CC needs,  it is obvious they decided they didn’t need the Cruise Critic app or the Tapatalk app as a user option. That is the business decision they have made. They have the right to make that decision but it is their decision not Tapatalks. 

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Tapatalk can’t change the Cruise Critic code or server settings. I think it would be more appropriate to say Cruise Critic works in a peculiar manner. As far as CC needs,  it is obvious they decided they didn’t need the Cruise Critic app or the Tapatalk app as a user option. That is the business decision they have made. They have the right to make that decision but it is their decision not Tapatalks. 

So you blame CC for the fact that Tapatalk is not willing to adjust its code to handle a website that has a different interface?

1 minute ago, broberts said:

So you blame CC for the fact that Tapatalk is not willing to adjust its code to handle a website that has a different interface?

If there is something Tapatalk could change I believe they would. I don’t think there is anything they can do on their end. Tapatalk is very responsive. I have been beta testing new versions of Tapatalk for the past three years. That came about when I emailed them about a problem. They sent me a fixed beta version within a day and I have been getting beta versions to test ever since. I use the beta on my iPhone and use the release versions on my iPad. They send out bug fix versions almost every month. When bugs are reported they fix them. There is no reason Tapatalk would not adjust their code for Cruise Critic. 

I don't know why some people seem to think Cruise Critic is "the center of the universe".
Cruise Critic is one of MANY online forums using a common software platform.
Tapatalk is an app that supports connecting users to forums covering a wide variety of subjects through a standard forum software interface, but using a simple straightforward USER interface that works well on small screen mobile devices.
Individual forums are responsible for configuring their installation of the forum software and their web interface to that software.
Something about Cruise Critic's configuration is preventing the Tapatalk app from knowing about (and therefore being able to display) more than the first 10 threads in any Cruise Critic sub-forum.
No other online forum accessed through the Tapatalk app has this issue.
Tapatalk is only able to access the Cruise Critic forum content to the extent that the Cruise Critic moderators allow it to do so (or do not explicitly prevent it from doing so) based on how they've configured the underlying forum software. If CC wanted to, they could completely block access to their forums by Tapatalk. NOTE to CC mods: PLEASE do not do this; partial access is far better than none.
But the notion that it should be Tapatalk's responsibility to customize their app to work around something that Cruise Critic has done in customizing their off-the-shelf forum software (if Tapatalk even could) is frankly absurd.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, just_dont said:

But the notion that it should be Tapatalk's responsibility to customize their app to work around something that Cruise Critic has done in customizing their off-the-shelf forum software (if Tapatalk even could) is frankly absurd.

Tapatalk can do what it likes. I just wish people would stop complaining about the fact that the software has not been updated to work correctly with CC and somehow this is the fault of CC.

Edited by broberts

Tapatalk can do what it likes. I just wish people would stop complaining about the fact that the software has not been updated to work correctly with CC and somehow this is the fault of CC.
No, it can't. And it's not about fault or assigning blame.
This is Client/Server software.
Tapatalk is a Client app. Cruise Critic is in charge of the Server software, which they purchased from a third party. This same software is used by a number of online forum sites, each of which configures their server instance however they wish. But capabilities and permissions are defined by the server, and by design, there's nothing a client can do to go beyond what is allowed by the server.
Tapatalk can't be "updated to work correctly with CC" if CC's server configuration doesn't allow it.
I don't know what part(s) of the configuration are causing problems. CC (it seems) doesn't either. Nor does Tapatalk. However, I'd imagine if they were so inclined, they could work together to figure it out.

16 minutes ago, just_dont said:

This is Client/Server software.

Not really. CC is a website that delivers valid W3C content to browsers. Tapatalk is not a compliant browser.

Edited by broberts

On 10/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, CC Help Jenn said:

Unfortunately that is something that tapatalk would have to address, as they control the app and what is displayed.

Have you submitted a help question through their app?

Tapatalk works fine / correctly with other message boards - it is just CruiseCritic that is only showing 10 threads per page and some less with all the stickies.

I did submit a ticket with Tapatalk - here is their response

"Our developers are already working with CruiseCritic to resolve the issue.  CruiseCritic runs on a customized forum platform, therefore, there are some compatibility issues there."

There are a few threads regarding CC on the Tapatalk Help Forum.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, broberts said:

Ummm no

I believe CruiseCritic has decided to not allow users to access their boards correctly via TapaTalk.

12 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Ummm no

I believe CruiseCritic has decided to not allow users to access their boards correctly via TapaTalk.

Thanks for trying to help.   We would like all of our apps to be in working order.  We have not decided to discard any apps.

We have been in contact with tapatalk to get both apps working  properly (they also power our branded app!).   

Once I have an update I will post 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Thanks for trying to help.   We would like all of our apps to be in working order.  We have not decided to discard any apps.

We have been in contact with tapatalk to get both apps working  properly (they also power our branded app!).   

Once I have an update I will post 

Great - thanks Jenn!

• 1 month later...
After a previous update stopped it working with Cruise Critic, I was offline for over a month before I finally got it working again. Since then, I have avoided updating the app.  Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Should have done the same[emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

After a previous update stopped it working with Cruise Critic, I was offline for over a month before I finally got it working again. Since then, I have avoided updating the app.

Surprise, surprise; up and running on my phone.[emoji41]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I have used Tapatalk on my phone for years to access Cruise Critic. But lately I get an error saying I don't have access (see attached) when I try to access my subscribed links. I have tried deleting the app, changing my password, nothing works. any ideas?

image.png.6063c966be769270e9c1e5f3b19bb1f5.png

I have used Tapatalk on my phone for years to access Cruise Critic. But lately I get an error saying I don't have access (see attached) when I try to access my subscribed links. I have tried deleting the app, changing my password, nothing works. any ideas?

image.png.6063c966be769270e9c1e5f3b19bb1f5.png
Yours is the situation I have had. You log into CC through the app, and it sort of seems like you're logged in, but in reality, you haven't successfully been logged in to the CC site, which is why you don't have access. Last time this happened to me was after a Tapatalk app update, which effectively logged me out from CC, and then I couldn't get back in. Tried everything (like you) MANY times. After a month of occasionally trying things in every permutation I finally got back in. I haven't logged out or updated the app since, and I haven't had any problems.

2 hours ago, just_dont said:

Yours is the situation I have had. You log into CC through the app, and it sort of seems like you're logged in, but in reality, you haven't successfully been logged in to the CC site, which is why you don't have access. Last time this happened to me was after a Tapatalk app update, which effectively logged me out from CC, and then I couldn't get back in. Tried everything (like you) MANY times. After a month of occasionally trying things in every permutation I finally got back in. I haven't logged out or updated the app since, and I haven't had any problems.

Well that is depressing. I hope it corrects by May, I planned to do a live report then. 😥

38 minutes ago, broberts said:

In this or another help thread I recall a post that suggested logging into CC using a web browser then using Tapatalk.

Thanks, I did that. That was how I managed to post here was through a browser. Tried your suggestion but no luck. 😥