Protein Shakes

JBoshears

We're about ready for our B2B, and my husband drinks 3 protein shakes a day, in lieu of meals.  He most generally eats dinner, and assorted fruit throughout the day, along with the 3 shakes.  I'm wondering if I need to get these shakes approved.  I was going to put 3 cases in a small suitcase and check it at the pier.  Who would I even clear it with?  Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, JBoshears said:

We're about ready for our B2B, and my husband drinks 3 protein shakes a day, in lieu of meals.  He most generally eats dinner, and assorted fruit throughout the day, along with the 3 shakes.  I'm wondering if I need to get these shakes approved.  I was going to put 3 cases in a small suitcase and check it at the pier.  Who would I even clear it with?  Thoughts?

It shouldn't be an issue but I would e-mail the special needs department to give them a heads up. That will hopefully prevent any potential issues.

Have a great trip!

-germ

4 minutes ago, MyNameIsGermy said:

It shouldn't be an issue but I would e-mail the special needs department to give them a heads up. That will hopefully prevent any potential issues.

Have a great trip!

-germ

Thanks, I will do that.  I would hate for them to be confiscated. Do you know the email address by chance?

4 minutes ago, JBoshears said:

Thanks, I will do that.  I would hate for them to be confiscated. Do you know the email address by chance?

special_needs@rccl.com   Include the ship name, sailing date and reservation number in the subject of the email. 

never had an issue with getting on the ship with my protein bags and blender.  Now if you are flying that is a different story.  FAA security has started to get strict on how much powder you can bring in your suitcase.  They want it to be in the individual serving packages instead of the large tub.  Not that big of issue if you prepare, just be for warned.

I have been using protein shakes for almost 10 years after a medical procedure.  I'm far away from that so I can go a short time without them, so i just do without over a cruise, but ignoring that, check yours to see if refrigeration is needed. Over the years most of the newer Hi protein low sugar brands don't need refrigeration. I would take that kind on a cruise if I had to. (Perhaps they are all that way now. 

2 hours ago, vettecruiser1 said:

never had an issue with getting on the ship with my protein bags and blender.  Now if you are flying that is a different story.  FAA security has started to get strict on how much powder you can bring in your suitcase.  They want it to be in the individual serving packages instead of the large tub.  Not that big of issue if you prepare, just be for warned.

We're going to buy them at Sams in Ft. Lauderdale.  It's the already made Premiere Protein shakes.  Thanks for the forewarning. 

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

I have been using protein shakes for almost 10 years after a medical procedure.  I'm far away from that so I can go a short time without them, so i just do without over a cruise, but ignoring that, check yours to see if refrigeration is needed. Over the years most of the newer Hi protein low sugar brands don't need refrigeration. I would take that kind on a cruise if I had to. (Perhaps they are all that way now. 

I'm pretty sure he can go without them now, but it's his way of life and doesn't want to alter it yet. They come room temperature (Premier Protein Shakes), and then he refrigerates.  I realize the fridge in the cabin is not really a fridge, but rather a cooler, so he'll have to implement the ice bucket.  Kind of a pain, but that's how it is with his eating right now.  Thank you for the advice!!

5 minutes ago, JBoshears said:

I'm pretty sure he can go without them now, but it's his way of life and doesn't want to alter it yet. They come room temperature (Premier Protein Shakes), and then he refrigerates.  I realize the fridge in the cabin is not really a fridge, but rather a cooler, so he'll have to implement the ice bucket.  Kind of a pain, but that's how it is with his eating right now.  Thank you for the advice!!

Yes, that is a brand I have started using, best protein rating and only around 3g of sugar.  

On 10/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, JBoshears said:

I realize the fridge in the cabin is not really a fridge, but rather a cooler, so he'll have to implement the ice bucket.  

It is a fridge, but in the cubby, the cubby heats up.

Prop the cubby door open slightly and the fridge gets colder.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, Archangelclk said:

Good question, Im following along as I need to bring a bunch of shakes with me as well as some other health supplements.

I emailed as suggested, and this is the response.  I'm glad I asked!  BTW - I never mentioned he needed them for medical reasons.

Good day, 

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Kindly be advised that we have approved for you to bring onboard protein shakes for medical reasons. 

Please take this letter with you to the pier on the day of embarkation along with the above referenced liquids. 

We recommend for you to take this with your carry-on items. 

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Sophia Mills - Access Advocate
Trade Support & Services | Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. 
2901 SW 145th Avenue | Miramar, FL 33027