Early Saver Strategies

A&Jfamily

I am sure this has been asked and answered on here before, but with the new changes to the site, I no longer appear to have an option to search threads.

My question is this.  I am looking at booking 2 rooms, both ES for 2020.  The interior is the one in question, with our 2 sons plus the older's GF, as I anticipate they will still be dating in their senior year of college.  IF however, the relationship fails, and she does not cruise with us, am I correct that the deposit would be forfeited if we know before final payment?  After final payment, is the strategy to just have her be a no-show so we don't risk being bumped rooms?  At that point we would get her port fees credited?

I am just doing a cost benefit analysis here.  I still don't know my youngest spring break schedule for 2020.  Normally, I would just book a past guest rate, but I don't feel like putting down $750 on this cruise at the moment and the 2 for 1 deposit is much preferred to go ahead and secure the specific room I want, if I can confirm the younger's break.

TIA

I don't think name changes are allowed with ES, so you would forfeit the deposit on the GF if she is no longer the GF.  The biggest problem would be if the current GF is, in 2020, the ex and there is a new GF in the picture!

IF you search for the booking, put it on hold.  Then go back and make the deposit you don’t have to enter the names. It will be TBA. You can then wait it out without penalty. 

If you do enter the names and the rship doesn’t make it to 2020, then you will lose the deposit (whatever the deposit is now). Names changes arent allowed, you have to cancel old Gf and pay a new deposit for the new person.

2 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

IF you search for the booking, put it on hold.  Then go back and make the deposit you don’t have to enter the names. It will be TBA. You can then wait it out without penalty. 

If you do enter the names and the rship doesn’t make it to 2020, then you will lose the deposit (whatever the deposit is now). Names changes arent allowed, you have to cancel old Gf and pay a new deposit for the new person.

When my sisters and I cruise, we always use TBA, since one or two sometimes change their mind about going.  I don't use ES rates though.  Can you book that room separately without ES?

Yes, if you remove someone from the booking, they could technically move your cabin to fit the two people.

Or she would be a no show and you would get back any port charges and gratuities you've paid.

I don't know anything about booking TBA...

1 hour ago, Melissalcsw said:

Yes, if you remove someone from the booking, they could technically move your cabin to fit the two people.

Or she would be a no show and you would get back any port charges and gratuities you've paid.

You can book a cruise now for 2 people, not yet knowing who the second person will be.  This avoids the fee for changing the name at a later date.

The TBA designation simply means the missing name is To Be Added.

4 hours ago, Melissalcsw said:

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

You can book a cruise now for 2 people, not yet knowing who the second person will be.  This avoids the fee for changing the name at a later date.

The TBA designation simply means the missing name is To Be Added.

Indeed, whenever I book a new cruise, I have to go into the booking afterwards to enter my wife's name - the default is just TBA or similar for the other name in the cabin.

So just don't enter that other name until you absolutely have to...which is final payment or so, I believe?  Or maybe check-in after final payment?

6 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

Did not even know this was possible!! Thanks for the info.

Don't book early saver (now). I believe you can change to ES just before final payment if still needed. Book something like past guest. Only one person In the cabin needs to be past guest. Just throwing this out there. If GF thinks she wants to go, collect her deposit now. Why should you be out the money if things don't work out, but still don't book ES.

Just my .02 cents.