Bring my own coffee ?

Bishop Geils

So I'm on a RCCL ship in a few weeks and I'm thinking of bringing my own ground coffee. I'll have the drink package so I should be able to get premium coffee at the coffee bar.  I was planning on walking up to the coffee bar with just enough ground coffee each morning and ask them to make me a mug with my own grounds.  What do we think ?

• Haha 1

I think you’ll have more success with this project if you plan to bring a caffettiere or filter brewing cup with you.  Then you can just get hot water and make your own coffee.  As a plus, you can ask room service to bring you hot water and make your coffee in your cabin if you wish.

2 hours ago, Bishop Geils said:

So I'm on a RCCL ship in a few weeks and I'm thinking of bringing my own ground coffee. I'll have the drink package so I should be able to get premium coffee at the coffee bar.  I was planning on walking up to the coffee bar with just enough ground coffee each morning and ask them to make me a mug with my own grounds.  What do we think ?

Please tell me you are kidding.  Surely you don’t think they are going to take “grounds” from a passenger and put it in a coffee maker that is used for all other passengers.

• Like 1

No, they will not use your grounds, you can't bring a coffee maker (nothing that creates heat is allowed) and the "hot" water provided is no where close to the temperature needed to brew coffee. 

3 hours ago, jlp20 said:

No, they will not use your grounds, you can't bring a coffee maker (nothing that creates heat is allowed) and the "hot" water provided is no where close to the temperature needed to brew coffee. 

The hot water in the buffet seems just about adequate for coffee, although not nearly hot enough for a good cup of tea.

I doubt they'd use your coffee in their machine.  If you really need "your" coffee, and I kinda get that, look into the pour over/drip filter setups.  There are insulated mugs that also have a french press mechanism.  A search on REI.com came up with lots of options.  Then all you'll need is hot water.   Good luck.  

What do I think?

I think it a very bad idea and likely to  be refused.

Do NOt   BRING   any h eating device,, they  are  a fire hazard on cruise ships.

Edited by sail7seas

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

I’m thinking about my next cruise I’ll bring my own instant coffee packages and cocoa because my little one loves waking up early morning with me to drink “coffee” that’s a good idea to bring your own (just make sure it is instant).

You would have to rely on whatever hot water you could get from the buffet to use for either as there are no heating elements in the staterooms (certain suites may provide a small prepackaged coffee maker) nor are any allowed to be brought on board.

Not a very effective way to do what you want IMO.

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Since the OP mentioned RCCL there's an implication that all posts in this thread are regarding RCCL. @Sagittarius traveler didn't mention the line they're on. Some lines now furnish a kettle in the cabin - Cunard for one.

True, and I was answering relative to RCI.  So perhaps Sagittarius traveler will return to the thread and confirm their intended cruise line to be certain of a more specific response.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You would have to rely on whatever hot water you could get from the buffet to use for either as there are no heating elements in the staterooms (certain suites may provide a small prepackaged coffee maker) nor are any allowed to be brought on board.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, Bishop Geils said:

Thanks for the laugh and welcome to CC. 

22 hours ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

I’m thinking about my next cruise I’ll bring my own instant coffee packages and cocoa because my little one loves waking up early morning with me to drink “coffee” that’s a good idea to bring your own (just make sure it is instant).

21 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Can't passengers get hot water from room service for tea?  I know it's not super hot, but likely warm enough for instant coffee and hot cocoa.

If not, pack a thermos to get hot water from lido the night before.

22 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Since the OP mentioned RCCL there's an implication that all posts in this thread are regarding RCCL. @Sagittarius traveler didn't mention the line they're on. Some lines now furnish a kettle in the cabin - Cunard for one.

RC also furnishes kettles on some itineraries. Also some suites have a coffee maker. 

They will not use your grounds in their machine.  If you can't do with the provided coffee for a week....well, I don't know what to say about that.  I like my coffee in the morning...and that's about it.  I find the dining room and room service coffee to be MUCH better than the buffet coffee.  One week...I can deal with it!

Why so much drama about the question? With a French press or a Melitta-type pour over brewer all the OP would have to ask for is water that is boiling or close to it similar to what is provided for tea.  No one would raise an eyebrow if a passenger brought his/her own tea. 

Edited by K32682