Question for any Aussies - Overland train Mel to Ade - access to tickets?

westcoasttech

Is advance access to the Overland train tickets limited? 

I can see tickets up to the end of December, but would like to book a ticket for the end of January and I cannot get to them - it just gives me an error message "cannot access journeys" or something like that (I'm using Chome to access).  I know in the UK and Europe you sometimes cannot see tickets more than 3 months in the future, is it the same here?

I sent an email to an "agency" that handles Aussie train travel and they are willing to sell the January ticket to me - for a $40 extra charge! - so would prefer to book it independently (obviously!)

BTW ... I know it is a very l-o-n-g trip but, hey, I like travelling by train, and on this occasion I have the time, so why not!

Many thanks for any advice.

Their site said bookings were only open to end of December for the Overland.

I gave them a call to find out when bookings after then would be released, and they said they're still confirming details with the government and currently estimate early November for when they'll be released, though that date isn't definite.

As for the agency, it sounds like a speculative booking which couldn't be guaranteed so I'd definitely avoid them!

Edited by The_Big_M

Many thanks for making the call Big M!

Good to know that it’s not just the computer being picky.  

I’ll check the site in November.  I’m presuming they don’t often “sell out” but I am hoping to travel Australia Day weekend so want to get it booked.

Thanks so much!

7 hours ago, westcoasttech said:

Is advance access to the Overland train tickets limited? 

I can see tickets up to the end of December, but would like to book a ticket for the end of January and I cannot get to them - it just gives me an error message "cannot access journeys" or something like that (I'm using Chome to access).  I know in the UK and Europe you sometimes cannot see tickets more than 3 months in the future, is it the same here?

I sent an email to an "agency" that handles Aussie train travel and they are willing to sell the January ticket to me - for a $40 extra charge! - so would prefer to book it independently (obviously!)

BTW ... I know it is a very l-o-n-g trip but, hey, I like travelling by train, and on this occasion I have the time, so why not!

Many thanks for any advice.

Melbourne to Adelaide is not really a long train trip by our overland standards 😎. That stretch is often traversed in the night so if you were hoping to see some scenery be sure to select daytime travel if available.

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Their site said bookings were only open to end of December for the Overland.

I gave them a call to find out when bookings after then would be released, and they said they're still confirming details with the government and currently estimate early November for when they'll be released, though that date isn't definite.

As for the agency, it sounds like a speculative booking which couldn't be guaranteed so I'd definitely avoid them!

So it sounds like some progress has been made on these negotiations since late August? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/overland-train-service-between-melbourne-and-adelaide-in-doubt/10166190

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

So it sounds like some progress has been made on these negotiations since late August? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-26/overland-train-service-between-melbourne-and-adelaide-in-doubt/10166190

Hard to say. Sounds like these comments from the article are still accurate: "

Spokeswoman Melanie Reid said the company was "currently in productive discussions with both governments to renew these agreements".

A Victorian Government spokesperson said Great Southern Rail had agreed to a contract extension until March next year."

Yikes!   Don’t tell me it might not be running, I’m really looking forward to the train ride!  I’m also planning on taking the XPT Melbourne to Sydney later in the trip.  But I decided the Indian Pacific route was a little too pricey.  Fingers crossed for the Overland!

• 1 month later...

So, I've read the latest news reports that the federal government has pulled the funding for the Overland ....:classic_sad:

They still seem to be saying that it "may" not be running come January so I'm still holding off booking the flight instead.  I've got all my connections and hotels based around the dates, so I have to get from MEL to ADE somehow or other on Jan 26, and really don't fancy going through the airport on Australia Day weekend!

There is a petition on Change.org to save the service - which I've added my name to - if anyone else wants to check that out.

I know that travelling by train is very old fashioned these days, and everything is centred around the $$, but feel sad for the communities that will lose one more option for transit.  As an ex-brit, who used to take the train alot in the UK,  and who now lives in Canada (another big country with very little useable train system) I'm also sad that a lot of the "new" generations will never have the feeling of taking the train and watching the countryside change around them.  Flying may get you there quicker but you don't get to see anything but the inside of a tin can and I think you totally lose the perspective of distance travelled too!

There are some really good train services around the world, so I don't consider them old fashioned.

That said, I haven't travelled on the Overland (or GSR services) but governments here haven't been as fond of rail the past few decades, somewhat like the attitude towards Amtrak as I perceive. As a result it's been underinvested, and somewhat disregarded - one of the most recent failings was removing the terminus station from Newcastle by our current state government. (And yet, ironically in today's news, they're floating a high speed link with Newcastle one of the two primary destinations! One of the key benefits of rail is its access to city centres - nobody wants to be left on the outskirts then have to find another transport service to get them where they want to go...).

With this, though, it's hard to say. They may find a way for a short term extension, or one of the other layers of government may pick it up in some manner, or SA may change tack if they get enough pressure. But there is some history of fail being relegated and left to die in effect too here; the governments aren't big fans of it.

In a further update today - funding has come through - for at least another year. So the ability to book future dates should now be showing on the website. 

Todays article https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/overland-train-service-to-live-on-thanks-to-injection-of-funds-from-the-victorian-government/news-story/fcd5e9cb74c3a653fd10ee9b8091872c?nk=85ceaf4046dff85d4ef78ff92bbedce3-1544535607

Thanks!  

The news just popped up on my phone and I'm doing a happy dance!  Okay, will admit that it's mostly for selfish reasons in that I can now take the Overland for my extended Aussie trip - but am also happy for the towns and communities (and employees) on the route that the service has got a reprieve for at least one more year!

It should also be noted that the person who started the petition on change.org is continuing to fight for increased services on the line.

Wow, so Victoria went over and above its expected contribution to cover for SA dropping their contribution. And the rail operator also co-contributed to reduce its funding expectations.

I daresay there's no coincidence with the change of political leadership in SA this year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us that live in Victoria and are still waiting for our train services to be reinstated after many years this is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.  
But then again according to those in Melbourne there is nothing north-west of Bendigo anyway.