questioning an upgrade

Iainmac

I phoned Princess in Australia about the upgrade they have given me.  I had booked an obstructed view cabin near the Aft. lifts on deck 8 (Emerald) on the Majestic Princess.  The upgrade moved me more Ford. to an obstructed de-luxe cabin.  Asked if I could be moved one deck up to a cabin back near the lifts.  The price of these cabins are presently being advertised at hundreds of dollars less than what I paid for my original cabin.  Said they could not upgrade me to a higher category cabin even though it is being advertised at a much lower cost.  It was just a similar cabin one deck up.  I told them I had a disability  and like to be close to  the Aft. elevators on this ship.  I've paid hundreds more than what they are now selling them for and this change of cabin is 'just paperwork".  Loyalty and being Elite on Princess (some 15 cruises) does not seem to count for much.

Iain

At the time of your original booking you had the option of declaring no upgrade on your reservation. Like most of us, you dreamed of that story of some interior pax getting a suite so you opted into the upgrade. As the norm, any actual upgrade is minor. 

9 hours ago, jlp20 said:

At the time of your original booking you had the option of declaring no upgrade on your reservation. Like most of us, you dreamed of that story of some interior pax getting a suite so you opted into the upgrade. As the norm, any actual upgrade is minor. 

How does one request "no upgrades" at booking?  I don't recall seeing that.

5 hours ago, bemis12 said:

How does one request "no upgrades" at booking?  I don't recall seeing that.

Your TA or Princess rep will do it.  I have a cabin booked on a 15 day Hawaii and the agent told me it was marked for an upgrade.  I told her I don't want an upgrade - she said that was a wise choice and she did it.  Mini Suite - deck 8 last cabin - has a wrap around balcony.

16 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Marking "no upgrade" is not a guarantee.

Not sure about Princess Australia, but in the US if you receive an upgrade and call them within 72 hours you can decline and get your original room back.  Or so their resolution department has told me.  Used it successfully a few times, have had it fail once when my original room was "taken out of service for operational reasons", but it that case they gave me a better upgrade.

22 hours ago, jlp20 said:

At the time of your original booking you had the option of declaring no upgrade on your reservation. 

This has not been an option in the online booking process for a couple of years.

Either get the TA to do it or if no TA then ask Princess to do it.

Only they have the access.

Unfortunately, people who are past the final payment date don't usually get much compensation when the price of cabins falls. On our first Princess cruise, the prices dropped dramatically. Our TA went to bat for us and got us a slight upgrade. 

When you're assigned to an upgraded cabin, you can move to any available cabin in that category. Check out if there are any available cabins in that category you'd like better than your original cabin before asking to be moved back to it.

19 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

This has not been an option in the online booking process for a couple of years.

As far as I know, there is no online booking with Princess. Booking is done through TA or Princess rep. They go through checklist of questions after cabin selection, one being willing to accept upgrade. AFTER the booking is complete, the pax can then complete the multi page personalizer online. Somewhere in that document is a statement about your choice of upgrade acceptence.

1 minute ago, jlp20 said:

As far as I know, there is no online booking with Princess. Booking is done through TA or Princess rep. They go through checklist of questions after cabin selection, one being willing to accept upgrade. AFTER the booking is complete, the pax can then complete the multi page personalizer online. Somewhere in that document is a statement about your choice of upgrade acceptence.

I have booked several cruises online through the Princess website. NO TA or Princess rep involved.

6 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Huh?...........I book my Princess cruises online all the time with just me and the Princess website involved.

I transfer it to my TA after the booking is made.

In the online booking process several years ago you could choose or decline the upgrade option.

This is not possible anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I book my Princess cruises online all the time...

I sit corrected. Past few cruises we have had to search for accessible cabins. Calling Princess direct gets information in seconds. Went through the motions of making online booking and you are correct. No mention in any of the fine print about upgrades. 

Just to add to my original posting (1).  The latest prices Princess is now offering are for both of us nz$1500 less for a standard cabin and nz$1300 less for a Deluxe.  Looks like I was in too much of a hurry booking early.

It just annoyed me when told a deluxe cabin the next deck up was a different category even though at that time I was paying hundreds more and having given them the reason why I would like to be close to the elevators.

For some of you that do not see what my fuss is all about I'll explain further.  On princess ships the corridors can be narrow and the stewards trolleys big and wide.  This makes it difficult and annoying to stewards for wheelchair people during most of the daytime to get out.  A cabin close to lifts lets us access them and move to a deck where we can get to where we want to go.  My not being confined to a wheelchair or scooter I do not need an accessible cabin and these are best left for those that do need them as they can be in short supply.  It is only a 12 night and I'll manage.  Possibly on the Majestic the trolleys will be more compact, as on Celebrity Solstice, and handicapped people can get past more readily when the stewards are out working.

It would have been just paperwork and not costing Princess anything.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

No upgrade is an option in my cruise personaliser still 

upgrade.PNG

12 minutes ago, Sooz49 said:

No upgrade is an option in my cruise personaliser still 

upgrade.PNG

Where are you located?

I just pulled up 4 random cruises over the next 6 months. I have also booked several myself through the Princess website over the last 6 months.

Through the booking process none of them offered the option to be considered for an upgrade as shown above. I remember it being there years ago but not for me now.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, Iainmac said:

I phoned Princess in Australia about the upgrade they have given me.  I had booked an obstructed view cabin near the Aft. lifts on deck 8 (Emerald) on the Majestic Princess.  The upgrade moved me more Ford. to an obstructed de-luxe cabin.  Asked if I could be moved one deck up to a cabin back near the lifts.  The price of these cabins are presently being advertised at hundreds of dollars less than what I paid for my original cabin.  Said they could not upgrade me to a higher category cabin even though it is being advertised at a much lower cost.  It was just a similar cabin one deck up.  I told them I had a disability  and like to be close to  the Aft. elevators on this ship.  I've paid hundreds more than what they are now selling them for and this change of cabin is 'just paperwork".  Loyalty and being Elite on Princess (some 15 cruises) does not seem to count for much.

Iain

Call Princess and inform them you need an ADA room close to an elevator 

Edited by Ombud

29 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Where are you located?

I just pulled up 4 random cruises over the next 6 months. I have also booked several myself through the Princess website over the last 6 months.

Through the booking process none of them offered the option to be considered for an upgrade as shown above. I remember it being there years ago but not for me now.

I'm in Australia ... wouldn't surprise me if what I see is different ... it seems we are treated as the oddballs in so many areas with Princess