Prices for renting wheelchair and/or scooter -

Romy40

Special Needs At Sea and Scootaround want name, address, phone, e-mail address, and ship information with date of sail BEFORE they will quote a price.

I'm not really wanting to give them all that information.

Will someone tell me what they charge for a one week cruise?  Any ball park figures would be appreciated.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Romy40 said:

Special Needs At Sea and Scootaround want name, address, phone, e-mail address, and ship information with date of sail BEFORE they will quote a price.

I'm not really wanting to give them all that information.

Will someone tell me what they charge for a one week cruise?  Any ball park figures would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Depending on the size of the scooter, it is $235 to $425 for 1 week.  Are you over 300 pounds?  This one is $235 if you weigh under 300lbs.  

image.jpeg

Edited by champagne123

On 10/19/2018 at 11:57 AM, champagne123 said:

Depending on the size of the scooter, it is $235 to $425 for 1 week.  Are you over 300 pounds?  This one is $235 if you weigh under 300lbs.  

image.jpeg

Hi  I bought the same scooter as shown but the four wheel one.  It is a Pride Go go travel elite.  I bought mine in the UK for £450.00. It has paid for itself many times over.  I always have a standard balcony cabin and it fit through the door fine.  It has accompanied me on many cruises, flights, coaches and trains without problems 

4 minutes ago, Scooter girl 58 said:

Hi  I bought the same scooter as shown but the four wheel one.  It is a Pride Go go travel elite.  I bought mine in the UK for £450.00. It has paid for itself many times over.  I always have a standard balcony cabin and it fit through the door fine.  It has accompanied me on many cruises, flights, coaches and trains without problems 

Hahahaha....ME TOO!!!!    I paid $425 for the same thing!    Love it!   Yes, you are soooo right.  Just renting 1 or 2 times and you can buy your own to keep and use for other things other than cruising, and  it has always fit through every cabin door with no problem!

7 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

You not need to have an accessible cabin to rent a scooter. As long as the scooter is parked overnight in the cabin or in a communal space and not left in passage way.  :classic_dry:

Correct, except for two factors. A "standard" scooter is to wide for average cabin door. For cruising, 19" is the maximum width for anything to pass through the cabin door opening. When renting, This factor MUST be given to rental company. Most lines REQUIRE and mobility device be stored IN your cabin. Unless the scooter has the ability to "fold" The standard cabin just does not have the floor space. You would constantly be climbing over it to move about the cabin.

7 hours ago, champagne123 said:

Hahahaha....ME TOO!!!!    I paid $425 for the same thing!    Love it!   Yes, you are soooo right.  Just renting 1 or 2 times and you can buy your own to keep and use for other things other than cruising, and  it has always fit through every cabin door with no problem!

Where did you find this great price?

3 hours ago, mamaday said:

Where did you find this great price?

Sorry, the price has gone up a little....but it is free shipping and I found a coupon code you can enter in the promo box at the bottom of the page, which is HEALTHY15     This will take off $87!!!  This was the best investment I have ever made~ click on the link below.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/checkout/cart.jsp

Edited by champagne123
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, jlp20 said:

If asking about a scooter, you already have "accessible" cabin booked?

11 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Correct, except for two factors. A "standard" scooter is to wide for average cabin door. For cruising, 19" is the maximum width for anything to pass through the cabin door opening. When renting, This factor MUST be given to rental company. Most lines REQUIRE and mobility device be stored IN your cabin. Unless the scooter has the ability to "fold" The standard cabin just does not have the floor space. You would constantly be climbing over it to move about the cabin.

And your point is?

Because how I am reading your posts. You seem to be  suggesting to the OP that they should not hire a scooter unless they have an accessible cabin. 

In an ideal world every person who hires a scooter would be in an accessible cabin but in reality a lot of people who hire scooters are in standard cabins. So they  either choose to "climb over " the scooter at night only or they leave the scooter overnight in area that has been specified by the ship. Normally a crew only area or by the lifts.

13 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

And your point is?

My point is I have seen to many posts of people who have taken cruises without knowing the requirements of the cruise contract. Example, on Princess, ANY mobility device MUST be stored in your cabin. People having to learn quickly how to partially disassemble a scooter to get it through the door, just to put it back together again. For some reason they report of nor having a good time on the cruise.

8 hours ago, jlp20 said:

My point is I have seen to many posts of people who have taken cruises without knowing the requirements of the cruise contract. Example, on Princess, ANY mobility device MUST be stored in your cabin. People having to learn quickly how to partially disassemble a scooter to get it through the door, just to put it back together again. For some reason they report of nor having a good time on the cruise.

Thank you for your explanation.

May be next time you should make things clearer. Until this last post you had not mentioned the word "Princess".

Not everyone on this Disabled Cruise Travel forum has cruised either with Princess or has other posters signatures displayed. 

Correction in regards to Princess.

We booked late, thus no accessible cabins available. Regardless, I was not worried because I knew my scooter would fit through the cabin door. Since I was in a standard cabin, Princess wanted to take mine and all other scooters in non-accessible cabins every night, charge them and return them in the morning. I refused to let them take it because if I had to leave my cabin for any reason, I would require my scooter. Thus Princess provided me with an extension cord long enough to reach the closet where I parked my scooter. I was not left in the hallway or any public places, it stayed with me. That cruise was this year (May 2018).

I do agree with all those that suggest purchasing a scooter. I have not ever rented. Currently I am on my second scooter that I purchased and have saved many dollars by purchasing. Roughly 50 cruises. It is a Pride Go Go.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:57 AM, Bloodgem said:

So they  either choose to "climb over " the scooter at night only or they leave the scooter overnight in area that has been specified by the ship. Normally a crew only area or by the lifts.

the only line I have sailed that has  a common area to plug them in overnight is Disney, by the elevators.    Royal, Celebrity and Carnival  they must  be in the cabin, period.   at all times.  you cannot leave it in the passageway during the day, so the  comment about climbing over stuff at night only is  also  incorrect.  and it still needs to fit inside the cabin with or without removing pieces.  

I believe that NCL will take the scooter at night and charge it somewhere and then return it to you I the morning.   I was told that the cabin steward would do that for me.   Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise due to illness so I don't know if they would in fact do it for me.  If you book with any cruise line you could inquire about that.