Advice on flight connections in Miami (flying to San Juan)

Parsley Cruises

So, we currently have a reservation for a cruise San Juan - San Juan, and we are starting to wonder about the experiences of others who have flown UK (LHR in our case) - Miami, and then with an onward connection to San Juan.  

Is it a long queue-type situation for immigration and collecting luggage?  Is it a long hike from inbound and baggage collection to get the baggage checked in for the flight down to San Juan?  Is there a Bus Class lounge in Miami?

We don't know whether to opt for the 5 hrs flight connection or play safe and risk getting bored with the current 7 hour connection.  

We've got plenty of time to actually book stuff, but we would like to have an input on this one - and then if it's too much hassle we'll simply change our itinerary.  We've already selected the pre-cruise extension in San Juan so that we can be really relaxed and rested before embarking the ship.

Many thanks all.

Hope you don’t mind me asking but I am just curious to know what routing gives you 7 hours in Miami? As far as I know the first flight into MIA from LHR arrives at 14.10. The last flight from MIA to SAN leaves at 19.40, which is only five and a half hours between. Have I missed something?

Anyway, back to your questions…..Like most US gateways the customs and immigration process is a bit of a pain but 5 hours to change planes should be enough, provided your incoming is not delayed. You will first queue to go through immigration (you might be able to speed things up a bit by using the machines - if they are operating)  After that you need to pick up your bags from the carousel and there is usually another queue to get through customs but the recheck area is immediately after customs so you won’t have your bags for long. There is then another security check line before you get to departures and the lounges.

Although it is certainly doable (and I am sure people do it every day) UK travelers that we spoke to in San Juan said that they had found it a bit hectic and the journey rather exhausting overall.

We also did the pre-extension (great choice and loved the La Concha Resort if you are there) However we chose to avoid having any time pressure at Miami airport by simply traveling a day early and getting a nights sleep at a Miami airport hotel (at our expense) on arrival. We then flew to San Juan early the next day and so had a bonus extra half day (at the hotel beach) in San Juan too. Viking set this up for us at no extra charge.

As you still have the option to change flights it might also be worth pointing out that IMO American Airlines business class cabin is far nicer than British Airways. As a direct comparison, on the 777’s AA have four seats across per row in exactly the same width of cabin that British Airways squeeze eight business seats per row. American Airlines also offer free seat selection in business whereas British Airways have the cheek to charge at least £55 each!

We loved both San Juan and Viking and are sure you will have a great time – however you get there 😎 

Ok, I like the idea of maybe staying in an airport hotel in Miami and then like you going onwards the next morning.

Having as long as possible between the two flights on the outbound journey is quite appealing.

I thought that there would be all the security etc situation, but we’ll stick with the BA long haul and AA short haul situation.

Huge thanks.  We did find a later flight down to SJ, but the Miami is almost appealing.

You are both welcome!

2 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

I thought that there would be all the security etc situation

As you have gathered from my post you still have to go through the whole process of picking up the bags and going through security again just the same if you are going direct to a flight or to a hotel for the night which is why we took that option.

One issue you should be aware of is that unless you have at least one world Emerald status (BA Executive Club Gold) you most likely won't get lounge access the next morning even though you are still on a business/domestic first ticket. From November 1st this year AA only allow business passengers entry on the day they make the international flight or up to 6.00am the following day. Not that you are missing a lot, the Miami Admirals club is not up to full international lounge standards, from the food point of view anyway..... no cooked breakfast! 

There is an "on-site" hotel at the airport which is ultra convenient but the reviews are mixed so we went with the Crowne Plaza which was ok and the shuttle worked well.

Edited by photopro2
typo

We’re sort of teetering on the brink of selecting a different itinerary, mainly simply because we really don’t want to be longer than necessary in US mainland, and secondly because the Windies are not really on our bucket list.  We might do it, but we’ve got time to change our minds yet.  Need to get our next cruise done and dusted first.