Where are we??

CRIKEY, where have we been for the last few weeks? According to the authorities we certainly haven't been in Australia. Maybe we were in Never Never Land. Or even sailed through the Bermuda Triangle without our knowledge. We have just learned - strangely via our Opal Card operators in NSW (we live in Queensland!) - that our concession cards are not working because immigration has logged us as being out of the country for more than six weeks. But that's not so ... we've been here all the time, even welcomed two visitors from the UK into our home for a few days. We were overseas for only TWO weeks. Frantic inquiries today revealed that Immigration somehow didn't clock us back into Australia after our recent two-week cruise from Singapore to Brisbane. Very strange seeing as how we had a face-to-face meeting with immigration officers onboard just before we hit the Australian mainland. Can't blame P&O ... but something needs to be done to stop this happening, particularly as Centrelink and Immigration told us it's not an unusual occurrence when people arrive in Oz on cruise ships. Luckily, it's the first time it has happened to us.  It might be a good idea for cruisers to check with Centrelink to ensure they have been registered back into Oz after their travels on the high seas.

aria2.jpg

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

about leaving and re entering, the assets test and income stream test got me wonder what is the difference with cruise ship entry VS plane? Why is it being processed differently? 

Perhaps human error by Immigration Officers re data input.  We don't have to worry about that process, even though both 70, Centrelink gives us nowt as I am a self funded retiree, the asset test and income stream means test got me.  😡The boss gets nowt either because she lives with me, if I kicked her out she would get ye old aged pension.  Don't get me started on Centrelink entitlements.😡

Edited by NSWP

Some things to do before you travel so the government agencies know about it.

Please make sure you update your details before you travel. You can do this by signing in to your Centrelink online account through myGov. Or you can contact us.

Register your travel plans on smartraveller on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Remember to buy travel insurance. If you’re not insured, you’ll need to pay for medical costs overseas.

I suggest contacting Centrelink on your return as well, to ensure that any benefits would be maintained.

Not new to us, 3 years ago we sat in front of a Centrelink staff member who confirmed we weren't back yet :classic_wacko::classic_wacko::classic_biggrin: .... we had been home for 3 weeks...... knew something was wrong when heart meds were charged at full price by the chemist.....now that was scary........

41 minutes ago, essandjaybee said:

Not new to us, 3 years ago we sat in front of a Centrelink staff member who confirmed we weren't back yet :classic_wacko::classic_wacko::classic_biggrin: .... we had been home for 3 weeks...... knew something was wrong when heart meds were charged at full price by the chemist.....now that was scary........

It would be scary without PBS concession.🤯 So is 6 weeks the time you are allowed out of OZ without notifying Centrelink if a concession card holder? 

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I think the myGov site is a bit mysterious to some dinosaurs.:classic_ninja:

Standard policy is to notify Centrelink of any change in circumstance, as noted below from the website.

What to tell Centrelink

You need to tell Centrelink if there are changes to:

• your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
  • your work status
  • your gender identity - gender updates are optional
  • your accommodation details – use the accommodation details form to do this
  • your living arrangements if you’re single and start sharing your accommodation with anyone outside your family who’s 16 or older - use the relationship details form to do this

You also need to tell Centrelink if:

• you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your or your partner's income or assets change
  • you’ve started or finished studying

1 hour ago, essandjaybee said:

The higher price would likely make anyone's heart skip a beat.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

It would be scary without PBS concession.🤯 So is 6 weeks the time you are allowed out of OZ without notifying Centrelink if a concession card holder? 

Have no idea Les, we let them know even if we are only going for a week. Last big trip we were gone 8 weeks with no issues, we flew in and out though....When you advise online they do ask if you are cruising, guess they are either fully aware of paperwork delays or being nosey 😉😆😆

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

We are also self-funded retirees who receive no payment from Centrelink, but for many years we have held a concession card giving various benefits including subsidized medications. Prior to mid 2016 (I think that was the date), whenever we were on a cruise that was longer than six weeks, our card was cancelled and we had to re-apply with all our financial information etc. PITA. There was always a waiting period during which we couldn't get the reduced-price medications.

From mid 2016, the period was extended to 19 weeks. Great! We no longer have the problem of re-applying and waiting for a new card. BUT, anyone who is overseas for more than 19 weeks now has to apply under the new rules and they may not qualify for the concessions. We don't intend to go overseas for more than 19 weeks, but now we certainly will not.

BTW, we have never advised Centrelink of our travel plans. They always know when we leave the country and when we return. So far this has worked, but reading the previous comments, maybe we should advise them in future.

On a cruise in late 2016 we met a lovely couple from WA - retired cop and retired teacher who had been retired for a year or two. They didn't have the concession card because their financial adviser had told them they wouldn't qualify because of their sizeable superannuation. The sad thing was that if they had applied earlier, they would have qualified, but with the new rules, they wouldn't. (I mention their story because I know that Les is a retired cop.)

Edited by Aus Traveller

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We are also self-funded retirees who receive no payment from Centrelink, but for many years we have held a concession card giving various benefits including subsidized medications. Prior to mid 2016 (I think that was the date), whenever we were on a cruise that was longer than six weeks, our card was cancelled and we had to re-apply with all our financial information etc. PITA. There was always a waiting period during which we couldn't get the reduced-price medications.

From mid 2016, the period was extended to 19 weeks. Great! We no longer have the problem of re-applying and waiting for a new card. BUT, anyone who is overseas for more than 19 weeks now has to apply under the new rules and they may not qualify for the concessions. We don't intend to go overseas for more than 19 weeks, but now we certainly will not.

BTW, we have never advised Centrelink of our travel plans. They always know when we leave the country and when we return. So far this has worked, but reading the previous comments, maybe we should advise them in future.

On a cruise in late 2016 we met a lovely couple from WA - retired cop and retired teacher who had been retired for a year or two. They didn't have the concession card because their financial adviser had told them they wouldn't qualify because of their sizeable superannuation. The sad thing was that if they had applied earlier, they would have qualified, but with the new rules, they wouldn't. (I mention their story because I know that Les is a retired cop.)

Thanks for the information. We do have the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for the 'cheap stay alive pills.'  Next overseas adventure is only 3 and a half weeks, so should be ok.

20 hours ago, essandjaybee said:

Have no idea Les, we let them know even if we are only going for a week. Last big trip we were gone 8 weeks with no issues, we flew in and out though....When you advise online they do ask if you are cruising, guess they are either fully aware of paperwork delays or being nosey 😉😆😆

Thanks for information, will bear it in mind.

• 7 months later...

I just got caught with this one.  Did a 13 night cruise around NZ from 23rd March to 5th April and a few weeks after returning I had my pension reduced and concession card cancelled.  I had told Centrelink I was going.  Did the right thing.

Two and a half months later and multiple calls and emails to Centrelink with no success, I was told I was listed as living in an unspecified country. Centrelink blamed home affairs but a check with home affairs had me onshore,. I decided to ring  Centrelink's International Call Centre Services, 131 673 this morning and within 5 minutes it was all sorted.  I was told that I should have been referred to them in the first place and to always call them if there is a problem or just to check that records are up to date.  

It appears that cruise arrivals are manually entered into the system and this is why there is greater chances of errors occurring.  All other arrivals are automatically done by computer.  So if anyone else gets caught by this problem that is the number to use for a quick resolution.  131 673

On 10/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, NSWP said:

Perhaps human error by Immigration Officers re data input.  We don't have to worry about that process, even though both 70, Centrelink gives us nowt as I am a self funded retiree, the asset test and income stream means test got me.  😡The boss gets nowt either because she lives with me, if I kicked her out she would get ye old aged pension.  Don't get me started on Centrelink entitlements.😡

We are in the same situation. At least we have the Seniors Health Card and I see that you do also. Be aware that if you are absent from Australia for more than 19 weeks, you will lose the Card and have to re-apply on your return. Then the new rules apply. These allow you to be away for UP to 19 weeks, but under these rules, your superannuation balance is counted as an asset where previously they only considered income. Under the new rules we would not be eligible for Seniors Health Cards so we will not leave the country for more than 19 consecutive weeks.

Edited by Aus Traveller

On 10/20/2018 at 3:42 PM, essandjaybee said:

Wonder it didn’t give you a heart attack,

but we really are lucky with most most of our PBS benefits.

4 hours ago, Ondine said:

I just got caught with this one.  Did a 13 night cruise around NZ from 23rd March to 5th April and a few weeks after returning I had my pension reduced and concession card cancelled.  I had told Centrelink I was going.  Did the right thing.

Two and a half months later and multiple calls and emails to Centrelink with no success, I was told I was listed as living in an unspecified country. Centrelink blamed home affairs but a check with home affairs had me onshore,. I decided to ring  Centrelink's International Call Centre Services, 131 673 this morning and within 5 minutes it was all sorted.  I was told that I should have been referred to them in the first place and to always call them if there is a problem or just to check that records are up to date.  

It appears that cruise arrivals are manually entered into the system and this is why there is greater chances of errors occurring.  All other arrivals are automatically done by computer.  So if anyone else gets caught by this problem that is the number to use for a quick resolution.  131 673

Glad you resolved it effectively.

We have been caught up in this garbage on ships and planes. Seems all the Government Departments know the instant you leave the country, to the day, hour, minute and seconds. When it comes to returning however, it seems the computers just don't seem to talk to each other and we have had to ring Centrelink to "remind" them that we are back in the country. Their reply is always "Immigration haven't told us"! It really is quite pathetic, anything they can do to make things difficult for us it seems.

Steve.