Just off Sirena

I&J Cruisers

This was our third O cruise but it has been about 3 years since the last one. The ship is lovely. The entertainment was an improvement from our previous experiences. However I found the food too heavy for my tastes. Everything was stuffed with cheese or in a cream sauce which often could not be served on the side. Explanation given was “it’s coked in the sauce”.  I don’t recall this being an issue on our previous O cruises.  A friend recently sailed Rivera and I’d given her glowing details about the food. She expressed disappointment in the food when she returned. I chalked it up to “different strokes...” but think now that she was right on.  The only truly excellent meals I has were in Red Ginger and they were superb. 

Can you be specific? The sample menu on the web site still shows the Jacques Pepin Signature dishes. Of these, the filet and the salmon always are served with sauces on the side. The roast chicken is served in its own roasting juices.  Of the remaining entrees on the menu, only the snapper mentions a cream sauce. The other sauces -- for the duck and the prime rib -- aren't cream sauces either. So how did your experience differ from the sample menu (link below)?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

1 hour ago, Pet Nit Noy said:

Can you be specific? The sample menu on the web site still shows the Jacques Pepin Signature dishes. Of these, the filet and the salmon always are served with sauces on the side. The roast chicken is served in its own roasting juices.  Of the remaining entrees on the menu, only the snapper mentions a cream sauce. The other sauces -- for the duck and the prime rib -- aren't cream sauces either. So how did your experience differ from the sample menu (link below)?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

The Jacque signature items are the same. The problem was they were the simplist things on the menu. Mostly everything else was as I said heavily sauced, stuffed with cheese and or cream.  This was not the food I was expecting.  Very disappointing. 

Also just got off this cruise and found Sirena the worst Oceania ship that we have traveled on.  The staff was not up to the usual O standards.  The ship seemed worn and in need of upgrading. Food just O.K.  Tuscan Steak menu was  lacking a lot of the best items. Felt like there was not enough help in the resturants.  Oh and this was cruise number 12 and all the others were great.   I think we will just have to stick with the big ships.  Maybe things will improve as a new GM  came on last week and he is one of the good ones.  Will give additional updates later. 

What were you expecting??

what type of food was served before ?

I did not find  the food heavily sauced  on Marina  (usually same menus on all the ships)

I do try to order things  without sauces  some it is not possible 

I was Sirena 10 days ago,,,when menu item mentioned sauce,,asked for it to be on side.No problem,,,did order signature items also. Didnt find wait times or staff bad at all and have been on all the ships prior to this. Course, I was in PH and had butler ,so maybe different.Saw a few maintenance issues,but nothing major. Liked entertainment,,but avoided the ventiloquist,,,cant really enjoy that from back of room.Will NOT go on the other small ships anymore,,just due to lack of bathtubs in PH suites. Will still go on larger O ships,,where I can get tub in Concierge,etc.Now going on Regent,,just due to above.So Sad to change,but tub is a deal breaker,,tried for 7 days on Sirena in hot Cuban weather. Just not happy,tho.for medical probs.solved by hot tub,,,boo hoo..

We just got off Sirena too. Lots of rich food items but they accommodated our requests for sauce on the side. Also lots of plain grills items everywhere. We loved the grilled fish and grilled lobster in the Terrace, and the Jacques Pepin salmon, steak, and chicken in the Grand Dining Room. That being said, the GDR sautéed foie gras was superb! That being said, the ship does need the scheduled refurbishment and did seem understaffed.

8 hours ago, RJB said:

Also just got off this cruise and found Sirena the worst Oceania ship that we have traveled on.  The staff was not up to the usual O standards.  The ship seemed worn and in need of upgrading. Food just O.K.  Tuscan Steak menu was  lacking a lot of the best items. Felt like there was not enough help in the resturants.  Oh and this was cruise number 12 and all the others were great.   I think we will just have to stick with the big ships.  Maybe things will improve as a new GM  came on last week and he is one of the good ones.  Will give additional updates later. 

We will be embarking Sirena on the 05NOV so can you let us know who the new GM is plus the other management staff....

I've always wondered why people ask this in advance of the cruise.

If you need the GM once you are on the ship, ask for the GM.

How does it help to know the name in advance?

BTW, I'm not being snarky here, this question comes up  so often on CC that I'd love to know the logic of how it helps to know in advance-

Thanks,   

10 minutes ago, JimandStan said:

BTW, I'm not being snarky here, this question comes up  so often on CC that I'd love to know the logic of how it helps to know in advance-

Thanks,   

I can not answer for other people but we enjoy knowing if some of our favorite management will be sailing with us....they used to list this information in the "Blue Book" but no longer... I am sure it is because people complained if the person listed in their documents ended up not being onboard.   It is part of the excitement of looking forward to our next cruise to know we will be seeing some old familiar faces.

1 minute ago, NCCruzQueen said:

I've asked the executive concierge on other lines who will be the GM for a certain date.  Not difficult information to get.

my point is even if they are scheduled to be onboard  they can be redirected  on turnaround day

we have had that happen with Captains & CD's

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

my point is even if they are scheduled to be onboard  they can be redirected  on turnaround day

we have had that happen with Captains & CD's

Oh sure, that can happen.  Schedules do change and family problems come up but someone on a cruise close to yours can ask to find out who might be the GM, CD or Captain on the next or two cruises away.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

15 hours ago, basor said:

I can not answer for other people but we enjoy knowing if some of our favorite management will be sailing with us....they used to list this information in the "Blue Book" but no longer... I am sure it is because people complained if the person listed in their documents ended up not being onboard.   It is part of the excitement of looking forward to our next cruise to know we will be seeing some old familiar faces.

+  1

15 hours ago, JimandStan said:

Thanks,   

Agreed. I've wondered if a person would cancel if their favorite GM wasn't scheduled to be onboard.

17 hours ago, JimandStan said:

Thanks,   

I think a lot of it is just basic curiosity 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I think a lot of it is just basic curiosity 

Actually, as pointed out before, many repeat cruisers have gotten to know (and like) some of the GMs and CDs better than others and thus are happy to see them again.

I think that a great GM and CD set the tone for the cruise even if they are “invisible” as they are the ones who behind the scene see to it that all things go well. When the GM’s attitude is “laissez faire”, it shows.

54 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Actually, as pointed out before, many repeat cruisers have gotten to know (and like) some of the GMs and CDs better than others and thus are happy to see them again.

I think that a great GM and CD set the tone for the cruise even if they are “invisible” as they are the ones who behind the scene see to it that all things go well. When the GM’s attitude is “laissez faire”, it shows.

Agreed. We’ve gotten to know, and dined with, a few of the officers. The familiarity of seeing staff with which a rapport has been developed contributes to our enjoyment of the cruise.

4 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Agreed. I've wondered if a person would cancel if their favorite GM wasn't scheduled to be onboard.

We have several GMs and CDs  that we enjoy …..also we spend out time onboard with other guests not the officers so not a major part of our cruises.  Though we do enjoy trivia and if we know a "certain" CD is onboard, we brush up on their areas of questioning - gotta get those Big O points for another key chain 🙂

My husband and I returned from a cruise to Cuba on the Sirena 3 weeks ago. The ship is in beautiful shape. There was nothing worn out or shabby. Every staff person we met throughout our cruise was friendly and helpful. We heard people at the next table saying that the staff was not friendly and not up to par. Then we heard them complaining about everything else. These people must not be happy unless they have something to complain about. So please do not think the Sirena is worn out or shabby or that the staff is under par. That is just not the truth. Also, the food was delicious. I have a picky stomach and cannot eat anything in a rich sauce. I found plenty of wonderful meals on every menu at all dining venues.  Again, people like to complain, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paumarier said:

My husband and I returned from a cruise to Cuba on the Sirena 3 weeks ago. The ship is in beautiful shape. There was nothing worn out or shabby. Every staff person we met throughout our cruise was friendly and helpful. We heard people at the next table saying that the staff was not friendly and not up to par. Then we heard them complaining about everything else. These people must not be happy unless they have something to complain about. So please do not think the Sirena is worn out or shabby or that the staff is under par. That is just not the truth. Also, the food was delicious. I have a picky stomach and cannot eat anything in a rich sauce. I found plenty of wonderful meals on every menu at all dining venues.  Again, people like to complain, I guess.

I  guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  We just got back Friday and did fine the ship a bit worn and the staff not up to the standards of both of  the O ships.  Food was just  O.K. and the combo of Polo and Tuscana into Tuscan Steak was not very good.  Still had a good time on the ship and in Cuba  but will in the future  only sail on the bigger ships.  Not complaining, just stating the facts as we see them.  

We tend to agree with RJB, but did have a great time nevertheless. Particularly annoying was having only two US plugs (and of course no tub) in our PH. I like a sauna and not steam, which was the only option in the spa. The coffee frappe maker in Batista’s broke on the second day and they had no replacement onboard. Pepper shakers on the table were often totally empty because no one had checked them. Some communication issues with the GDR staff. 

But the PH1 itself, despite the small bathroom and TV, was fine, with very comfortable beds and seating. We also had some superb dishes, including sautéed foie gras, extra caviar, Beef Wellington, and authentic borscht in the GDR, beef carpaccio and crispy calamari in Tuscan Steak, grilled lobster and perfectly grilled grouper in the Terrace, and the lobster and avocado salad, sushi, miso snapper, duck salad, and lamb chops in Pacific Rim. The Germain champagne by the glass was excellent. Pool made for a refreshing dip when it got too hot, while jacuzzis were nice and hot when it cooled off a bit. And while some staff members showed a bit of attitude, generally the staff were excellent, led by the CD Lesley John, one of our favorite CDs.

Edited by JPR

On 10/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, I&J Cruisers said:

This was our third O cruise but it has been about 3 years since the last one. The ship is lovely. The entertainment was an improvement from our previous experiences. However I found the food too heavy for my tastes. Everything was stuffed with cheese or in a cream sauce which often could not be served on the side. Explanation given was “it’s coked in the sauce”.  I don’t recall this being an issue on our previous O cruises.  A friend recently sailed Rivera and I’d given her glowing details about the food. She expressed disappointment in the food when she returned. I chalked it up to “different strokes...” but think now that she was right on.  The only truly excellent meals I has were in Red Ginger and they were superb. 

Cuisine in general, was excellent.  But, agree most entrees in GDR were sauce heavy.  

But, we had no problem having certain sauces left off or on the side.

Enjoyed Tuscan Grill, but we did not enjoy the Asian Fusion cuisine at Red Ginger.  For us, the Asian cuisine was way too salty. 

King

On 10/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, paumarier said:

There will always be those kind of PAXs who whine and complain about something and or everything on every cruise.  I just ignore those kind of PAXs,  and enjoy the cruise.  I do.  😋

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1