Website Pricing Glitch - RCCL Would Not Honor Price - Pics Included!

Some glitches they catch, some they don't.

There was a Liberty sailing sometime in 2016 that was offering balcony cabins for around $400 solo supplement. A bunch of us booked and received emails about 3 days later about the error, cancellation and a $50 onboard credit for a future sailing.

However, my cruise last year on Adventure was a glitch rate that was never corrected. A bunch of us got JS cabins for very good pricing. Mines was around $1800 for a solo hump JS cabin. I really enjoyed that cabin and of course, have never seen prices like that since 🙂

On 10/23/2018 at 12:16 PM, TubbyMrT said:

Unfortunately a webpage can easily be modified by the user thus the photographs are worthless.  The only document that may hold up in court would be their order acknowledgment.

Photos do still hold up in court lol. But  even so, she also video recorded the booking.

• 2 months later...

Something like that happened on here years ago. Someone posted on cruise critic Owners Suites were going for an unbelievable low price. The poster gave the sail date and ship. There was 5 or 6 of us that booked them instantly. RCCL honored everyone of them. I forget the sailing date and ship now, my wife would probably know.

It was taken off the website wwithin the hour.

Best cabin we have ever sailed in to date. :)

Here it is Post #29 in this thread is where someone listed the error, Freedomof the Seas August 24th, 2008.................I think we paid $1400 total for my wife and I for a Owners Suite.  7 day cruise.

Edited by Jimbo

The disturbing part of this is that they are clearly aware of this issue and choose not to fix it. As the OP stated, in her case they actually changed the total at first and charged her the full price until she brought it to their attention. OP knew this was a glitch, but a less savvy, first time cruiser may not. That is some very shady *bleep*, and I wonder how many customers have booked this way in good faith, been charged more than they thought they would, and not caught it until very late in the process when it couldn't easily be undone...i.e. upon (or if not careful, after) final payment. 

Edited by davisrnr

8 hours ago, davisrnr said:

The disturbing part of this is that they are clearly aware of this issue and choose not to fix it. As the OP stated, in her case they actually changed the total at first and charged her the full price until she brought it to their attention. OP knew this was a glitch, but a less savvy, first time cruiser may not. That is some very shady *bleep*, and I wonder how many customers have booked this way in good faith, been charged more than they thought they would, and not caught it until very late in the process when it couldn't easily be undone...i.e. upon (or if not careful, after) final payment. 

I am sure RCI is working on it.  But based on previous RCI IT efforts, it will take them a LONG time to fix it, and they will break many other things at the same time.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, lazydayz said:

They may not have to honor it, but the best ones do.  At Publix, if you are charged the wrong price, you get the item free. I bought multiple packs of cupcakes for a party. When I told them the price was incorrect, they double checked  and gave me all of them for free.  That is one reason why they have such a loyal customer base. Royal seems to go the other way. They don’t seem to mind irking their customers. 

I would argue that the best ones don’t. Having a system that is easily abused by unethical people means the costs end up higher for the ethical people.

11 hours ago, bilyclub said:

$4000 for 7 days in an inside is something  I wouldn't pay to begin with.

Me too, but this is clearly a summer cruise, and I’ve never even tried to find out what relatively decent summer rates are like.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:49 PM, davisrnr said:

We all know Royal's website is complete garbage. I am not surprised that it took them/or is taking them so long to fix it. Not a pricing error, but my itinerary was wrong on their main website and correct in my cruise planner for a month or more. I reported it a few times and finally they fixed it. I don't know if it just takes that long to get to through appropriate channels or that they are that incompetent that they can't fix it right away.