Petition for RCCL to cease and disist smart baording protocol

Drummer72

There´s no foolproof system and mistakes can happen anytime.

I once checked into a Hotel in NYC and was given a room number and keycard just to find the room occupied. I got the impression the occupant(s) were in the bathroom, but I didn´t check and quickly backed out again.

To get back on a ship I ordered a drink and didn´t check the card when it was returned to me with the delivery of my drink. Well you guess it, I got the wrong one back and someone else got mine.

As it was dinner time I tracked the person down at their traditional dining table and they had not recognized yet and were quite surprised. So two people didn´t realize they had been given the wrong card, though it was handed personally and individually.

Yep I started checking everytime from that incident on.

I have been on more than one cruise line with this policy.  It works very well and simple.  I am sure there are many reasons why it is better than carrying all the cards off the ship into the terminal, having more people handle them, etc.  Maybe there have been health issues tracked to the shore side workers.  Maybe there have been issues with cards being lost or damaged when bringing them on shore.  Maybe it is simply less costly to do it this way.  Seems this is really just part of the evolution of ID and account handling on ships and there will always be people who whine about change.  Recall people crying when the ships went to cards for access and purchases?  People freaked out and cried the same songs as this issue.  What if someone takes my card?  What if someone gets into my cabin?  What if someone makes purchases on my account?  What if I lose it and can't get in my cabin?  Etc., etc.  It's gonna be fine and chances are you are no more at risk of bodily or financial harm than if a terminal worker who interacts with hundreds if not thousands of cruise passengers touches your card.

Interesting that the default idea of other passengers is that they are thieves and whatnot....  Especially when you are going to spend some time with all of these people.  Going in suspicious of your fellow travelers is a great way to enjoy yourself.

We've done this a few times, and have even added the expedited boarding on the Allure a few months ago.  No issues at all, and the boarding process is considerably faster.   Which is nice when you are on vacation.

I BET (just a gut feeling) that more people lose their sea pass card than people taking the wrong room.  And in that process, the "canceling" of the other car is exactly the same.  Being the suspicious type, imagine the panic that someone is going to buy a rolex with your lost seapass card.

If you want to worry about it like that, go for it.  I don't plan on supporting it.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea if it is deactivated. Either put it away somewhere or rip it up.

Yeah, thanks.  I was planning to use the one on my phone, and I thought it might be handy throughout the cruise.  I'll report back when I find out the answer.  🙂

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

Yeah, thanks.  I was planning to use the one on my phone, and I thought it might be handy throughout the cruise.  I'll report back when I find out the answer.  🙂

I doubt it will work, because usually they don´t scan a bar code from the seapass card for purchases. For this purpose they use the magnetic stripe of the card or the RFID chip (depending on what kind of cards are used on the ship). The bar code is only used for getting on and off throughout the cruise.

21 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Mock me. Its Ok.  Being on vacation, can give one a false sense of security.  Being dilligent is not over reacting.  In three weeks ive been trying to get this to the attention of RCCL top brass, i have collected 3. Thats right 3 signatures.  What does that tell you?

It tells me there are 4 people looking to get rich off the cruise line. I predict an “incident” in the near future to validate the baseless accusations of lax secrrity.

4 minutes ago, Drummer72 said:

I guess 347 of the nearly 2000 that have read this post agreed.  I know have 351 signatures.  The silent minority sometimes speaks the loudest.

thank you...

What signatures? You have actual signatures from CC posters?

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I have never heard of anyone having a card taken.  Which ship did this happen on and when?

And not to mention everyone's picture is linked to their card. When a server or store person scans card they see who it belongs to, same goes for when they are using the paper and then using the bar-code on embarkation day.

20 minutes ago, Drummer72 said:

I guess 347 of the nearly 2000 that have read this post agreed.  I know have 351 signatures.  The silent minority sometimes speaks the loudest.

thank you...

16 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Is there a link to what you are talking about?

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

What signatures? You have actual signatures from CC posters?

11 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Is there a link to the petition? I don't see one on the OP? 

There is no petition, there are no 351 signatures, the OP is a troll posting for what purpose, who knows. This whole thread is just a gag on his/her part.

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There is no petition, there are no 351 signatures, the OP is a troll posting for what purpose, who knows. This whole thread is just a gag on his/her part.

I know. I can’t believe people are falling for this.

Actually I can believe it. 

22 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Mock me. Its Ok.  Being on vacation, can give one a false sense of security.  Being dilligent is not over reacting.  In three weeks ive been trying to get this to the attention of RCCL top brass, i have collected 3. Thats right 3 signatures.  What does that tell you?

It tells me very few people see this as a problem.

If you disagree that strongly, take your cruise business to a line that does things differently.

Need explanation please...haven't done this on RCCL yet.

This smart check-in/boarding process....so the key cards/sea pass cards are now on your cabin door?  And how are you supposed to take advantage of your drink package when you can't get into your designated cabin area until the cabins are available for occupancy?

I watched a video for Harmony, for the balcony we picked, and it shows them taking the sea pass card envelope from behind the cabin number sign, and it wasn't sealed.  

Edited by mickeychicky

9 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

Need explanation please...haven't done this on RCCL yet.

This smart check-in/boarding process....so the key cards/sea pass cards are now on your cabin door?  And how are you supposed to take advantage of your drink package when you can't get into your designated cabin area until the cabins are available for occupancy?

I watched a video for Harmony, for the balcony we picked, and it shows them taking the sea pass card envelope from behind the cabin number sign, and it wasn't sealed.  

As has been said many times in this thread, you board the ship using your set sail pass and that pass will also be used to get drinks prior to getting your sea pass at your cabin.  There is a bar code on your set sail pass that can be scanned at the bars, just like they do with your sea pass.  You will be able to get your drinks from your package.

32 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I'm starting a petition to ask Royal to adopt this procedure on all of their ships immediately. 

I don't want to delay my vacation while we wait for Sea Pass cards on land.  I want to get on board and wait on a line to book reservations for our dinner package.

Wow, you already have 956 signatures on your petition!

The op MAY be a female traveling solo. I believe the odds of someone waiting in the cabin to attack is a real long Shot But my i suggest, instead of asking to change the policy. The op ask security to open room with her. Or even the Steward although, he has NO time for that .

On 10/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, Drummer72 said:

That this is 1/1024th of a problem??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

thank you...

Visionaries are often not appreciated in their time.  Without people standing up for what's right, we would still be drinking New Coke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If this was an actual issue, how would a person that wanted to attack someone know what cabin to hide in? How would they make sure they enter before everyone else? There are cameras in the hallways. If you wanted to attack someone wouldn't it be much easier to hide in a restroom?

On 10/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, Drummer72 said:

Im getting a petition together to force RCL from putting us all at risk with smart boarding protocol.

i will not cruise with them again until card are handed to you at check in.  Leaving the cards for anyone to take is DANGEROUS.  

Leaving them in an envelope when you arrive.  Would you leave house keys next to your door... NO, you would not.

if you are interested in supporting your saftey on board RCCL. Please let me know.  So far i have 3 signatures.  From other concered passengers.  What is it going to take to get them to listen. A mugging, a beat down a robbery from someone hiding in your room when you arrive.  

Please, together we can make RCCL “GREAT AGAIN”

thank you....

This is nothing new. When I started cruising Royal 30 yrs ago you would get to your room, door was open with keys/cards in the room... Pass.

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 10/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, danv3 said:

It happened earlier this year.  Harmony I believe.  

And to be clear, in this case it wasn't just that the card was taken, but that later the guests who took it entered my friends' room with it after it had been "deactivated" by guest services.  

I'm sure this sort of thing is very, very rare.  But it would also be very easy to avoid even the chance of this occurring by just handing everyone their own card.  

Seapass cards do not indicate which deck you are on . only the cabin #.  If you are in cabin 11648, the seapass card only says 648.  Anyone stealing or finding your card would have to try and access multiple cabins to find which one it worked on.