Single Supplement

I just cancelled two back2back cruises with Royal Caribbean.  I was told when booking that the single supplement would be added.  When I got the booking confirmation, the single supplement was listed but with a $0 dollar amount.  When I called, I was told that it was added to the original price.  I went on line and mock booked for 2 people.  The rate was actually less than the amount that was to be my single fare before any discounts, BOGO 60% and CAS.  I tried to explain that I was actually paying more for 2 people (less the port charges) than if 2 were going.  Does RCCL manipulate the charges to make it seem that you are getting a bargain?  No one could explain why this was happening.  Has anyone else had this problem?  

Are you speakng of the reduced solo supplement given to D+ with 340 or more loyalty points? If so, it usually appears as 0 with the rate built into the cruise fare. Under no circumstances should that rate be more than booking it double occupancy. 

Edited by MaritimeR&R

The rate being more is a mistake that has happened before with the SI and SB cabins in the Quantum Class. It may have happened on other classes, but i have had personal experience with this problem when booking cabins on Quantum ships. The reps are button pushers; they can only work with what is in front of them. Ask to speak to a supervisor or resolutions. It usually takes a few days to correct an erroneous fare.

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Under no circumstances should that rate be more than booking it double occupancy. 

Some rates don't show up if you try to book solo, such a some GTY rates, so it may look like you are paying more for solo. But in such a case, one can simply book it for two using TBD for the second person.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some rates don't show up if you try to book solo, such a some GTY rates, so it may look like you are paying more for solo. But in such a case, one can simply book it for two using TBD for the second person.

I believe she was talking about a rate she was quoted by a rep since unless she is pinnacle or booking an SB or SI, she would have to call RC to get the reduced solo supplement. Maybe i am misunderstanding her.

Edited by MaritimeR&R
Spelling

I have found the best way to book it book for two and do a no show for the second person.  You'll get the double points and refunded the port fees.  I have always found this less expensive than booking for one from the start.

9 hours ago, polymedia said:

As someone who always goes solo I have to say that I see this a lot. My TA can't explain it and neither can RCL but it does happen more than I'd like. Needless to say, I never book those cruises.

Why don't you simply book it for two (if there are issues trying to book solo) and have the second person be a no show?