Traveling to Orlando during the Daytona 500

Sarahmcvea314

Hi friends,

We are traveling to Orlando on the 16th from Savannah’s georgia to Port Canaveral. It’s about a 4 hour drive but we learned that the Daytona 500 is on sunday. Can anyone tell us their past experience with traveling the day before the Daytona 500?  Thank you in advance!

You may have traffic from St. Augustine until you are on I-4 heading to Orlando. There is also a race on Saturday, and if you time it right ,so that you go through the area during the race, it should be like a normal day.

Most race fans will have been there for the 2-3 days prior to the actual Daytona 500....they are there for the truck races and the  smaller race (whatever that's called...I can't remember the names anymore...they keep changing them!)...

Traffic AROUND the race track might be tight, but anywhere else, not so much.

45 minutes ago, Sarahmcvea314 said:

We are going to Port Canaveral. We are driving from Buffalo, staying overnight I’m Savannah and then driving to sport Canaveral the morning of the cruise.

I-95 goes almost right by the track. You can expect heavy traffic the whole way (I-95 is always that way), but it will be really bad for at least 15 miles norht of the track. Allow an extra hour for your travel time.

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Are you going to Orlando or Port Canaveral?  Not the same.  Are you driving down the same day as cruising, or spending time in Orlando ahead of cruise?  EM

We are going to Port Canaveral and leaving the same day as the cruise leaves. We’re driving from Buffalo to savannah on the 15th, staying overnight and then in the morning around 6:30 we’re heading to Port Canaveral.

Be aware that I-95 is being widened in Daytona. It is estimated to be completed in 'early 2019' but I would recommend checking out this website to give you updates before you travel:  http://www.cflroads.com/project/242715-2/I-95_Widening_and_Systems_Interchange_Reconstruction_Design-Build_from_North_of_S_R_44_to_North_of_U_S_92