Parking

Saint Greg

I think this topic deserves an update because I just got a big surprise when booking parking for my December cruise. 

The rates for one week of parking are typically Fulton rooftop $83, Fulton covered $106, Machu Picchu $110, Port $140. I've been using Fulton rooftop for $83 and used it as recent as the last week of August. I haven't cruised out of New Orleans during the winter since Feb '16 but apparently now Fulton is jacking up prices in the winter...to the point where my rooftop parking would cost an additional $40! This note comes up when I try to book "Please note: season rate of $15.00 per day in affect from 11/04/2018 to 05/05/2019" This brings the total cost for my week to $122 rooftop or $134 covered. If you're going to pay $134, you might as well just park at the port for $140...assuming they haven't raised their rates. I checked with Machu Picchu and they are still $110 if you pay cash. $115 if you pay credit. 

Since I hadn't booked my precruise hotel yet, I just decided to book the Country Inn & Suites in Metairie which has the park n cruise package that includes breakfast, 8 days of parking, and a shuttle to the port. What it doesn't include is a shuttle from the port. That'll cost me an additional $15-20. The cost of the park n cruise package is $150. It came to $170 after taxes.

I've heard people claim park n cruise packages at the Hampton Inn Convention Center and Holiday Inn downtown. Hampton Inn has a package with a shuttle but on top of that it says they charge you $14/day parking. I looked at both of those and for my night they were both around $300 after tax...with Hampton Inn charging an additional $14/night for parking and Holiday inn including parking but no transportation to the port. It looks like that transportation would cost $8 each way. 

I also looked into the holiday inn westbank which is the round hotel across the river from the cruise port. That one has a package that includes parking and breakfast for two but no transportation. That came to $225 for my night and it looks like the transportation would be $10 each way. 

Another one I've heard of but haven't checked into is Prytania Park in the garden district. I believe they've said parking included, no transportation...but you have to stay two nights.

Anyway. I will be for the first time using the Country Inn and Suites Metairie Park n cruise package and I'll be including it in my live review on the Carnival board on December 1st.

28 minutes ago, Cafabi said:

I prepaid for Dec. 15 at the old rate. Are they going to want more money when I show up or am I grandfathered in? Have not gotten any notices from them. 

I would think you're good if you've already paid.

Edited by Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

Why in the world would anyone show up at a cruise terminal at 6:58 am.  I doubt they can even get into the Riverwalk at that hour let alone into the terminal.

They were leaving not arriving. I meant arrive at the shuttle... Not the port. I don’t think those shuttles will take people to the port that early.

Edited by Saint Greg