First Time Solo

karinad

I'm probably going to be cruising solo from now on. My dh announced after our last cruise that he doesn't want to travel anymore! On our last cruise he refused to do most of the paid tours I planned, so yes, he could stay home! Is there any newly solo cruisers out there that could offer any kind of advice to make the change-over from couple to solo? Even with getting a better rate, since solo cruisers could end up paying more. I guess I need some encouragement. I'm not ready to give up cruising. Finding a friend to go with is not really an option!

Thanks!

Hi:classic_biggrin: just want to let you know there is a  "SOLO FORUM" here on Cruise Critic. You might post over there.....many folks cruise on their own and there are some good threads over there about it.  I have been cruising solo for 15 years. It is the only way I sail and I love it!

1 hour ago, karinad said:

I guess I need some encouragement. I'm not ready to give up cruising.

Please do come on over to the Solo Cruisers subforum.   There's a wealth of information and support there, and some of the nicest posters on Cruise Critic, IMO.  Here's a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

Most of my cruises are without my husband - by MY choice!  Sometimes he can be a pain in the rear...and I'm not willing to risk that kind of nonsense on a cruise.  Plus, who knows if tonight he will snore - don't need to worry about that.  He's the kind of person who thinks a 3-5 night cruise would be long enough, while I think 7 nights is too short.  So, in short - we're not the most compatible cruisers, so he's happy to live like a pig with pizza boxes on the bed <g> while I'm off cruising (which works for me)!

My advice would be to enjoy/relish every moment of your solo cruise.  You've got the stateroom to yourself, nobody turning on the tv when you'd rather have quiet, nobody saying turn it off if you want it on, nobody in the bathroom when you want to use it, no snoring, no moods, and you can come & go as you please without having to consider another person.  As long as you're the type of person who doesn't need the company of another person, you should do fine - and chances are, you'll meet people onboard to share a conversation or meal with.  Some of my solo cruises I've met people who have become friends, but mostly I just meet "cruise acquaintances"...people I may see & chat with during the cruise, but after that we never have contact again.

Sue/WDW1972

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

Most of my cruises are without my husband - by MY choice!  Sometimes he can be a pain in the rear...and I'm not willing to risk that kind of nonsense on a cruise.  Plus, who knows if tonight he will snore - don't need to worry about that.  He's the kind of person who thinks a 3-5 night cruise would be long enough, while I think 7 nights is too short.  So, in short - we're not the most compatible cruisers, so he's happy to live like a pig with pizza boxes on the bed <g> while I'm off cruising (which works for me)!

My advice would be to enjoy/relish every moment of your solo cruise.  You've got the stateroom to yourself, nobody turning on the tv when you'd rather have quiet, nobody saying turn it off if you want it on, nobody in the bathroom when you want to use it, no snoring, no moods, and you can come & go as you please without having to consider another person.  As long as you're the type of person who doesn't need the company of another person, you should do fine - and chances are, you'll meet people onboard to share a conversation or meal with.  Some of my solo cruises I've met people who have become friends, but mostly I just meet "cruise acquaintances"...people I may see & chat with during the cruise, but after that we never have contact again.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks for the words of encouragement! This past cruise, last month, convinced me! We went to the British Islands and I had planned 2 independent tours and he didn't do both of them! He sulked the whole cruise and said he didn't want to go in the first place. I did do both tours without him. The one tour I felt very alone because it was all couples, but the other tour I found 3 other single ladies that I asked them if they'd mind me hanging out with them. Maybe, if I had planned it alone, I would've found a buddy on the cruise to do the tours with. I don't mind spending time by myself and would surely love a cabin to my own! This forum might give me the encouragement to do it alone!

As stated, the solo forum can give encouragement.  There are other posts from people who have significant others, but cruise on their own, so you are not alone.  

Maybe it was because my husband was in the navy and often away, but I learned early on to not wait around for others to join me to do what I wanted to do. So when there was no longer a husband, I had the confidence and interest to continue to branch out on my own. 

I don't want to be morbid, but rarely do 2 people die at the same time.  There will pretty much always be one left behind.  I like to encourage couples to do some solo travel or activities, so they are not totally at a loss when they find themselves a 'party of 1'.  Trusting yourself and having independent interests means you can cruise on your own - and even do tours without worrying about finding someone else for company. Great if it happens, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Consider an itinerary that you have done before, so there is some familiarity, and then do something you wanted to do that he didn't. Or just walk off the ship and explore on your own. There is empowerment in learning the extent you can rely on yourself and experience your independence.

Go for it.

9 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

As stated, the solo forum can give encouragement.  There are other posts from people who have significant others, but cruise on their own, so you are not alone.  

Maybe it was because my husband was in the navy and often away, but I learned early on to not wait around for others to join me to do what I wanted to do. So when there was no longer a husband, I had the confidence and interest to continue to branch out on my own. 

I don't want to be morbid, but rarely do 2 people die at the same time.  There will pretty much always be one left behind.  I like to encourage couples to do some solo travel or activities, so they are not totally at a loss when they find themselves a 'party of 1'.  Trusting yourself and having independent interests means you can cruise on your own - and even do tours without worrying about finding someone else for company. Great if it happens, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Consider an itinerary that you have done before, so there is some familiarity, and then do something you wanted to do that he didn't. Or just walk off the ship and explore on your own. There is empowerment in learning the extent you can rely on yourself and experience your independence.

Go for it.

You are very right about eventually being a party of 1! I never thought I would have to unless I did lose my husband! A cruise is a great way to go solo because you don't have to be alone or there's things to do on your own. When my dh and I are together on a cruise, we would often be doing things on our own. We're not the type to be glued to each others hip!