Tipping cabin steward

BarbaraGligoric

46 minutes ago, BarbaraGligoric said:

I've read lots of posts on people tipping cabin steward first day, but not an amount . How much are people suggesting . I'm going on a 7 day cruise  on carnival dream

No seasoned traveler (cruise or otherwise) would ever "tip" housekeeping at the beginning of their stay.  BTW, do remember that you've already tipped them with auto gratuities that have been added to your fare (or provided to you as an amenity).

Most of us are opposed to first day tipping.  We usually consider that a bribe.  The stewards are all well trained and will do a very good job whether you tip them on day one or not.  Also, you are not required to tip them at the end of the cruise since their tip is included in the daily gratuity but many of us do tip at the end if  they do a really good job.  One really important thing to do is to fill out the end-of-cruise comment card on them.  This is very important as good comments get them benefits on the ship.

DON

Your cabin steward is expected to do a great job without a “bribe” 

for the gratuity that you are already being billed .

If you feel he/she is going beyond , then certainly an addition tip 

is fine , perhaps $5 a per day , personally given on the last day? 

There is NO need to "pre-tip".  Carnival charges the tips to your account, unless you elect to prepay them.  No further tips are necessary.  The tips they charge cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters.  Bar tabs (or packages) have the tip added to the cost of either drink or package.  You're not expected to tip any further.

If you feel additional tips are warranted, then tip whatever you and your pocketbook are able....$10 extra is fine.....

56 minutes ago, BarbaraGligoric said:

Thanks for the response but could you tell me , should the cabin steward provide great service how much would you leave him at the end. Just trying to make sure I bring enough cash  and have a ball park figure

For a week and extra $20 (cash) is what we do.  :classic_wink:

About half way through the cruise you can tell if the steward is doing bare minimum, trying or going above & beyond. While the ship provides room and board, they are paid only a token amount. The vast majority of their "income" is by way of tips. The daily automated tipping most people use is divided by different service groups. The steward getting 60-70% of that amount. If WE feel they deserve more it is given at that point. IF STEWARDS ARE REQUIRED to turn in tips at the cruise's end, it's on them. Or that money has already been removed from the ship and sent home.

We leave the gratuities in place.  Some cruise lines require the crew to turn in any extra tips they get from people who do remove them from their account.  That way any extra tips we give to anyone can be kept by that crew member.

We do not believe in tipping at the begining of the cruise.

How much extra tip you give is your personal choice.

We are going on our first cruise in January, and have been interested in this too. To you seasoned travelers, knowing what you choose to tip (if you do), is helpful in knowing that we newbies are within the range of what is typical.

I have planned on budgeting $40 for our room steward at the end of our week, above the gratuities already charged. That is assuming the job done is good to excellent. Additionally, we have booked a suite, so I might do less if I were in a lower cabin category.

3 hours ago, mommaof9 said:

We are going on our first cruise in January, and have been interested in this too. To you seasoned travelers, knowing what you choose to tip (if you do), is helpful in knowing that we newbies are within the range of what is typical.

I have planned on budgeting $40 for our room steward at the end of our week, above the gratuities already charged. That is assuming the job done is good to excellent. Additionally, we have booked a suite, so I might do less if I were in a lower cabin category.

As a 1st timer you will surely be impressed with your cabin steward .

Good does not rate an additional tip . Excellent is what is expected .

$40 for a week is twice what I would do for Outstanding .

3 hours ago, MCC retired said:

As a 1st timer you will surely be impressed with your cabin steward .

Good does not rate an additional tip . Excellent is what is expected .

$40 for a week is twice what I would do for Outstanding .

Thank you!