Price hike for Bahamas cruises?

Sobro

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.  After avoiding Nassau for over 15 years I've recently found it better.  Still room for improvement but a lot better compared to the late 90s.  

Proximity to FL home ports make it a natural destination for any cruise line so if they can keep improving the experience on shore they shouldn't need to bribe the cruise lines.  

This is no surprise to me having been to Nassau and Freeport. These new mega  ships have more to offer in both food and activities for passengers on board, especially if traveling with a young family.   The beaches are beautiful but there is no relaxing on them. Too many locals wanting to braid your hair or trying to sell Island jewelry and beach cover ups that can be purchased from Walmart at home. On time a women tried selling my wife a bracelet that she had claimed to have made herself. My wife inquired why it was packaged in a cellophane bag with a tag that said made in China. From there on we have have never purchased anything from the locals. I won't even book an itinerary that goes to these ports.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We e never had a bad day in Nassau. We’ve been to Atlantis twice, and day passes at the Hilton, Melia and RIU. The beaches are gorgeous (except the Hilton) and the hawkers aren’t much worse than those on the boardwalks here at home. 

On 10/21/2018 at 10:07 PM, taxatty said:

Other than Atlantis and some decent local food, we've never found anything compelling to do in Nassau. Once you've been there once or twice you've done it all. 

We like Nassau for two reasons. There is a Perfume store that has Creed at a great price. 

Athenas Greek Restaurant that has some of the best Cracked Conch we have ever had. 

From the link to the Nassau Guardian in the story: https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/10/17/no-more-incentives-for-cruise-ships/

The minister admitted, however, that improving The Bahamas’ tourist offerings is a tough nut to crack.

“As you know a number of cruise ports have been damaged from hurricanes and there is a lot of reconstruction and upgrades going on throughout the Caribbean. You understand that there are bigger and better cruise ships coming on stream, so we need to adjust and accommodate and improve most importantly the customer experience here at the port, and provide additional opportunities for small businesses to make a decent living at that port,” he said.

“When we finish this redevelopment I’m hoping that more Bahamians can have businesses down there, so that they can benefit from the 3.6 million cruise passengers that come into this country."

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We like Nassau for two reasons. There is a Perfume store that has Creed at a great price. 

Athenas Greek Restaurant that has some of the best Cracked Conch we have ever had. 

May have to try in November. Closed last time we were there.😉

20180930_102945.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

12 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The Athena Cafe is quite good and is a short walk from the ship. Sit on the balcony if you can.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you divid $12 million in payments to cruise lines by 3.6 million passengers, that equates to a $3.34 per passenger subsidy.  And notice it said "up to".  So I wouldn't expect drastic/noticeable price rises.

22 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Again, this does not equate to a $4 per passenger subsidy. The original article stated the Bahamaniam tourist ministry had provided “up to” $12 million dollars in “incentives”. Again, we are debating semantics, I just can’t see it making a difference in overall fares. 

On 10/21/2018 at 10:07 PM, taxatty said:

Other than Atlantis and some decent local food, we've never found anything compelling to do in Nassau. Once you've been there once or twice you've done it all. 

Funny I been there at least 50 times, always go ashore, and have not done it all.:classic_huh:

33 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Funny I been there at least 50 times, always go ashore, and have not done it all.:classic_huh:

31 for us, same as Cozumel.  50 is a lot. Impressive. 

Don't really get off much anymore.  May start getting off more. No breeze on the ship.

10 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

What haven't you done yet? About the only thing we haven't done in our own 20+ visits to Nassau is the new Baha Mar complex, which we've heard is quite nice but not worth a special day trip. The last 10 or so visits for us have been the usual 30 minute stroll on Bay Street with nothing special to see or buy (with better selections and prices elsewhere) just as a leg stretcher, buying a Tortuga rum cake or two, and lunch at Athena or Fish Fry. The rebuilt Straw Market is a hot, uncomfortable dump with many of the vendors selling the same cheap souvenirs. Nassau is without a doubt the least interesting regular port stop in the Caribbean, and even the Bahamian government knows it.

Edited by taxatty