Cost to use adults only serenity areas?

mlbcruiser

On 10/23/2018 at 7:27 AM, cmptrwiz said:

The last day of our cruise was a sea day and decided to spend part of it on the serenity deck.  We layed down in 2 of the last 4 recliners.  Not long after a couple came a long and took up residency in the last two recliners that were next to us.  They started to talk and talk and talk.  They never did shut up.  They were planning what to do when they got off the ship.  I wanted to say “this is a serenity area not visiting time”, but I didn’t.  We finally left.  People should use common sense.

Ridiculous! It's for a quiet children safe environment, it isn't a dang library!

On 10/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, BNBR said:

Go sail NCL then where they charge a hefty fee for the week to use Serenity (Vibe).

Sorry to have to correct you, but the corresponding 100% totally free adults only area on NCL is called Spice H2O.  The closest thing to Vibe on Carnival would be the Havana area, which you pay an upcharge for and like Vibe is worth every penny.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Sorry to have to correct you, but the corresponding 100% totally free adults only area on NCL is called Spice H2O.  The closest thing to Vibe on Carnival would be the Havana area, which you pay an upcharge for and like Vibe is worth every penny.

You aren't correcting me. Spice h2o is not comparable to serenity.  Vibe is.  Spice is an adult pool area without a pool and lots of smokers and no shade. Serenity and Vibe are virtually identical products. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, cmptrwiz said:

The last day of our cruise was a sea day and decided to spend part of it on the serenity deck.  We layed down in 2 of the last 4 recliners.  Not long after a couple came a long and took up residency in the last two recliners that were next to us.  They started to talk and talk and talk.  They never did shut up.  They were planning what to do when they got off the ship.  I wanted to say “this is a serenity area not visiting time”, but I didn’t.  We finally left.  People should use common sense.

7 hours ago, Sillyjilly said:

Ridiculous! It's for a quiet children safe environment, it isn't a dang library!

I have to (mostly) agree with @Sillyjilly: it is a children-free zone, not a library, and although it is called "Serenity", I have to say most of the time I have walked through a Serenity area, especially the hot tubs on Liberty, it was not "serene", just kid-free.  (Well, age-wise...attitude wise, those 21-year-olds can be quite amusing...)

I find the quietest spots on the ship are the areas well away from the pools, on the highest decks.  e.g. on Liberty, the Serenity areas on Deck 14 (yeah, same deck as the hot tubs), but as far away from the tubs as you can get while still in 'Serenity", under the shade or in the sun, is relatively quiet.

But anyone can sit beside you and start yapping, and if that ain't your thing, all you can do is move on...

9 hours ago, BNBR said:

You aren't correcting me. Spice h2o is not comparable to serenity.  Vibe is.  Spice is an adult pool area without a pool and lots of smokers and no shade. Serenity and Vibe are virtually identical products. 

There are more Serenity areas in the Carnival fleet without pools than the handful that do have them.  Serenity is just like the regular pool area where you need to combat chair hogs and claim your space at 700 am.  Vibe, on the other hand will always have a padded longer waiting for you as well as hot tub, bar and misting area.  Well worth the money, just like the Havana area is on Carnival.  It's also 100% kid free in Vibe, whereas there will usually be some mother bucking the system and allowing her rug rats in Serenity.  If you're too cheap to invest in Vibe or Havana, best of luck battling the chair hogs.  Been there, done that.  If I cruise on NCL, I invest in Vibe and if I cruise on Carnival I invest in Havana.  This way I am guaranteed to be kid free and will have a lounger or chair waiting for me at 1100 AM.

36 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There are more Serenity areas in the Carnival fleet without pools than the handful that do have them.  Serenity is just like the regular pool area where you need to combat chair hogs and claim your space at 700 am.  Vibe, on the other hand will always have a padded longer waiting for you as well as hot tub, bar and misting area.  Well worth the money, just like the Havana area is on Carnival.  It's also 100% kid free in Vibe, whereas there will usually be some mother bucking the system and allowing her rug rats in Serenity.  If you're too cheap to invest in Vibe or Havana, best of luck battling the chair hogs.  Been there, done that.  If I cruise on NCL, I invest in Vibe and if I cruise on Carnival I invest in Havana.  This way I am guaranteed to be kid free and will have a lounger or chair waiting for me at 1100 AM.

My point was that the Vibe and typical Serenity area are almost identical.  Similar layout on a similar deck, padded loungers, bar, hot tub, etc.  Spice H20 is the Aft pool/deck area which is much different.  Carnival has the adults aft pool area also...

I agree with you that a benefit to Vibe is that you are paying to guarantee space.  This appeals to me.   What I don't like is the "get on the ship first and pray you can get a pass" approach.  I would never gamble with my vacation like that if this was an important thing for me to have.  The fact that it's identical to Serenity, just that they charge for it to make it exclusive is pretty relevant to this thread.  If Carnival decided to charge for Serenity, you would have a damn near literal Vibe clone.

I personally don't find Serenity that important.  It's not that spectacular or anything.  It's just the cruise line trying to make the most out of an area that used to be ignored by guests when it was just a sundeck with chairs long ago.  We didn't have much trouble finding somewhere to sit or hang out in Serenity on our last Carnival trip.  Personally, this is a big reason why I like Oasis-class as they have a huge adults solarium with hot tubs, restaurant, bar, pool, etc and no issues getting a chair.  It's better than anything Carnival or NCL have - and I like the solarium better than the Haven courtyard as well since it's adults only and you get a view.