Single parent tips

Choechoe

The 16 year old will meet others to "hang" with, and the 5 year old will LOVE the kid's club.  I would set up several "meeting times" with your teen...face to face, so that you'll know her condition, get her next couple hours of plans....and go from there!  Pretty sure it will be a great vacation!

• 1 month later...

A way that I kept track of my 16 year old Daughter "when she was 16 now 29" was to buy the soda package. I would get to know one or two of the drink servers on the pool deck and if I had any concerns I would ask them to check my Daughters folio number to see were she had made her last purchase this would tell me where she had been.

After a few days those servers, since they walk around the decks a lot would tell me her location if they have seen her.

I know this sounds like I didn't trust her which I did but with the help I was able to allow her more freedom.

• Like 1

I can't give advice about the 5-year-old but I have cruised several times single with teens.  Decide if you feel comfortable letting your teen roam the ship alone. Set some rules. Set a curfew like at home (maybe a little more generous). Insist on eating dinner together every night. Set up some type of communication plan. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:47 PM, Relax@Sea said:

A way that I kept track of my 16 year old Daughter "when she was 16 now 29" was to buy the soda package. I would get to know one or two of the drink servers on the pool deck and if I had any concerns I would ask them to check my Daughters folio number to see were she had made her last purchase this would tell me where she had been.

After a few days those servers, since they walk around the decks a lot would tell me her location if they have seen her.

I know this sounds like I didn't trust her which I did but with the help I was able to allow her more freedom.

This looks cute to me. At least you gave her freedom at the same time you are updated on what she was doing or where she was without even bothering her. I thing it's not being "no trust" we're just being protective as parent as it is. :)

We always have a checkin time and place (for your 16 year old). The teens tend to make friends quickly on board, and they want some freedom - which is ok with me, as long as they check in when they are supposed to. 

The 5 year old will have a great time in the kids clubs on board your ship. There were times I had to beg my kids to come out of the clubs! Enjoy your trip!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:47 AM, Relax@Sea said:

I have found with having good teenagers, its not so much not trusting them, but not trusting that they are savvy enough to recognize trouble.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, Relax@Sea said:

It's great you gave her freedom because teenagers like this otherwise they will behave wired or somehow start lying. I think @Choechoe also should check a family cruisers sections.