No Mariner Points from Onboard Spending

knittinggirl

This is the second time we got home w/ a negative bill, and they ended giving no Mariner points for onboard spending.    We had pre-purchased thousands in shore excursions, and had to cancel some of them.  But we still had a lot of charges in hotel service fees, internet, wine, mini-bar, etc.  Besides, the refunded shore excursions should have zeroed out with what we prepaid.   Do they no longer figure prepaid items in the mariner bonus points?   Do they just look at the final bill and compute from that?

The ports on this cruise were not cooperating w/ us.  It started in Quebec City when we pre-paid for the EXC with Chef Muffy only to learn that he wouldn't work w/ people and allergies.  Then a port got changed from pier to tender, and we had two booked there.   Then one of our ports was delayed arrival, the pack for home night.   We were supposed to leave at 8 am, but later in the morning.  As it turned out, we would have missed both lunch and dinner on the ship.  And not had enough time to make their bags outside our stateroom deadline.  We even had started packing the day before.  We handed over our tickets and prayed they'd issue credit, which they finally did.  We'd heard that shore excursion was sold out on day one.

We've learned the hard way to pre-purchase our EXC tours, and not wait till we hit the ship.  I wanted DH to get a wine package, but he kept saying "no."  As it turned out, we spent more on the two bottles of wine than we would have spent on a four-bottle package.

Edited by knittinggirl

Our last cruise - now nearly 1 month ago - has not posted correctly.  We wrote Mariner Society and received the following response:

"Unfortunately, there is currently an issue with recent sailings not posting to Mariner accounts. This is a known issue and we are working as fast as we can to get it fixed. We thank you for your patience on this matter and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Were we on the same cruise by any chance, knittinggirl? I was on the Veendam's 11 day coastal.  I just checked my acct and my onboarding spending has not posted yet.  Also I noticed that the sailing days have not been added to the total, although they show in the list of cruises taken. I'll give it a while to catch up and then call HAL if it doesn't correct itself.

22 minutes ago, Big Dawg CC said:

Our last cruise - now nearly 1 month ago - has not posted correctly.  We wrote Mariner Society and received the following response:

"Unfortunately, there is currently an issue with recent sailings not posting to Mariner accounts. This is a known issue and we are working as fast as we can to get it fixed. We thank you for your patience on this matter and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We returned Oct 3 and after contacting the Mariner Society, we received the same email reply. It also said no need to further email.

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

I'm trying to get the bill.  Somehow we returned w/o the final bill.  But I have a copy of the screen shot of all but the last two transactions from our Navigator App.

I apologize if I am misreading you but, yes, using that online form is how I was sent a copy of my final invoice.

WRT the cruise day credits for onboard and pre-spending, there seems to be a problem with it posting.  I finally had success with the onboard spending part but I am still going back and forth with them about the suite bonus.  There seems to be a whole lot of people working the Mariner Society desk who don’t know policy... or even what they’re doing.  It’s pretty frustrating.

Edited by *Miss G*

Our cruise ended on Sep 30th and we have not received our onboard spending credits yet either.  I posted on our two roll calls and others have reported similar issues.  In fact, our 28 actual cruise days show but are not included in the totals.  I think we'll just all have to be a little more patient and let HAL sort out their "known Issue".  Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.  Didn't others earlier this year wait more than a month for their credits?  

I find that sometimes pre-purchased tours & meals are credited as on-board purchases for the Mariner Days and sometimes they are not. I do know know why or what the difference is. I never count on pre-purchased things for my Mariner days.

The one time I was trying to get my days up to the 4**** level (for the free laundry), I was foiled because the cruise missed two ports and my pre-purchased shore excursions, as well as port fees & taxes were refunded. The refund cancelled out my on-board spending so I effectively lost a spending credit day.

The upshot is I do not understand how or why Holland America calculates the spending bonus days the way they do. I'm usually use happy to finish up the cruise earning one or 2 extra days.

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

When did your cruise end?

Some times it takes HAL about 10 days to get everything posted.

You can always call Ship Services and ask them.

It might be better to call Mariners Society to    a sk   800-547-9139

Edited by sail7seas

I too have asked this question from a recent return cruise. Head office tells me they are using a new data management software and are having troubles switching over the files and this may take some time. Up to two more months is what I was quoted. Be patient I was told. On another note our PCC tells me the new software they are now using is far superior to the old system. She can see results already from her desk.

I had this same issue when returning from our Koningsdam cruise in Feb 2018.  It took about 2 months to show up.  At that time it seemed to be ship specific issues in that guest on some ships had it show up quickly and others it took a couple of months.

18 hours ago, ellieanne said:

I find that sometimes pre-purchased tours & meals are credited as on-board purchases for the Mariner Days and sometimes they are not. I do know know why or what the difference is. I never count on pre-purchased things for my Mariner days.

The upshot is I do not understand how or why Holland America calculates the spending bonus days the way they do. I'm usually use happy to finish up the cruise earning one or 2 extra days.

Our pre-purchases have always counted. Without them we would not be 4-star.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

knittinggirl,

Not being able to purchase a wine package once on board?  I have never heard of such.  Was there any explanation given as to why you could not?

RKA,

My husband was the one that wouldn't let me buy the wine package.  At one point in the recent cruise, the wine steward started lecturing us on how we should have bought the package, and asked us why we hadn't.  Got a little tense for a while.  Then all of a sudden he hurried off.

Sorry for the confusion.

Just received this message from HAL.

Dear

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.

Do to an update in our computer system it is taking two to three weeks to fully post cruise day credits compared to the one week it normally takes. Your points should be updated within the next two weeks.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or visit us online at www.hollandamerica.com.  We thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Michael