Visa requirement rulls by cruise lines

Radler

I am a citizen of a country that need a visa for entering the U.S. Territories, but I do not have one.

If I take any cruise with any cruise line, which in its itinerary the ship calls some American ports,

Would I be allowed to embark by the cruise line under the understanding that I can not go ashore on that port, but to stay on-board?

I would like to emphasize that I am not talking about American ports of embarkation and disembarkation (eg. Miami, Porto Rico, etc.) where I definitely cannot.

Usually, the answer is no. You would not be allowed to board the ship. Most cruiseline rules specifically state that the responsibility to have all valid travel documents to include visas if required are the responsibility of the travelers.

it is common for ships sailing from the US to Brazil to leave US citizens standing on the pier because those passengers didn’t get proper visas prior to sailing.

No you will not be allowed to board the ship, under the rules, while anything can happen the rules say no. Really does not matter if you say you will stay  on the ship. The ship will enter US Waters and in order to clear the ship all on the ship must hold correct visas.  My wife and I had this happen on a cruise, due to weather (Typhoon) the ship changed ports of call two of the ports she did not have the require visa.  Guest Services called us to the office and told us I could get off the ship but she could not.  They said the ship would be allowed to enter the country but several passengers would be required to stay on the ship.  I asked if we could do this on future cruises and not get a visa and just stay on the ship and the answer was no, we would not be allowed to board.

LHT28,

I am an Israeli citizen.

Thank for your advice, I `ll check the site you provided.

I had asked for a visa, but I was rejected, so I am not sure that the ESTA program will be of any help to me, but I`ll look on to it.

well since you did not mention your citizenship  in your 1st post   no one would be able to point you in the right direction

Maybe  find a cruise line that does not go to the USA or it's Territories

You would  need to check each country on the cruise  to determine if you can enter & what documents are required

This  site will give  info

www.visahq.com

LHT28,

Thanks again for your answer.

I have done already in the past a few cruises, which were not going to American territories as well as a few which indeed started/ended or called American ports, but those I did when I had an American visa.

Now I have to consider this obstacle and to rearrange my plans for future cruises, but certainly I will check the a/m site and maybe a  feasible solution would come from it.🤗

Just now, Radler said:

Thanks again to all the responders. Eventually I got a definite answer...

But here even if the correct answer is posted those that do not like the answer will keep posting more answers. Some believe if they don't like the answer post more and it will change.