Cruise Critic Community
bafinegan

Amsterdam Airport

GM all!

Researching flights for our Sept 2019 Viking river cruise (Basel-Amsterdam).  We have booked the pre-cruise extension in Lucerne.  We will be flying into Zurich and have determined would prefer connections in Amsterdam rather than Paris.  My question is how long a layover is safe?  I found a flight with an 1:35 layover.  Is that enough time? We will be flying out of Atlanta.

Thank Ya'll!

baf

Yes if you book this on one ticket and your flight is on time. Your luggage will be labeled to your final destination. You will only go through passportcontrol in Amsterdam,.

Edited by Ine

It's the "if your flight is on time" part that can ruin your trip.  This past year we have had a lot of flights delayed – in May JFK to AMS left over 5 hours late!  Thankfully we had added 2 extra days at the beginning of our trip, so the missed connection didn't ruin it completely.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's the "if your flight is on time" part that can ruin your trip.  This past year we have had a lot of flights delayed – in May JFK to AMS left over 5 hours late!  Thankfully we had added 2 extra days at the beginning of our trip, so the missed connection didn't ruin it completely.

That is what concerns me.   Never having flown to Europe before, wasn't sure how long we would be in customs- let alone delayed flights.  But we do have that pre-cruise extension.  Hmm thinking I will have to do more research.

Thanks Ya'll

baf

What airline are you flying.  Delta has a new set-up in Amsterdam.  We flew there this past September and only had 1 hour 10 minutes.  I was a little nervous, but we have always landed early on a non-stop flight from Portland, OR.  We actually had to wait for the gate agent to arrive.  We did not have to go through the very long passport control line as we had in the past. The gate agent checked our passports.  If you do have to go through the long passport line, I would not risk it.  It can be as long as a football field.  The do have a separate line you have a short connection though.

I should preface this with I'm risk adverse. I fly through AMS a few times a year. If you were arriving from the US and transferring to a European flight on the same ticket,I wouldn't be too nervous (but still think its close due to a potential delay in departure or at the arrival gate), but while Delta has improved things when transferring from a European flight to a flight back to the US, there is still extra security. I would try to get something with more breathing room.

AMS is certainly one of the better airports in Europe for transfers and I certainly prefer it to Paris CDG. You should have enough time for your transfer but if for some reason such as a late departure from Atlanta you miss it, there should be several more flights from AMS to Zurich that day.  I wouldn’t worry. 

4 hours ago, laverendrye said:

AMS is certainly one of the better airports in Europe for transfers and I certainly prefer it to Paris CDG. You should have enough time for your transfer but if for some reason such as a late departure from Atlanta you miss it, there should be several more flights from AMS to Zurich that day.  I wouldn’t worry. 

That's the crucial bit of info.  Our flight to Cape Town was totally screwed because once the Delta flight from JFK to AMS was so late, we missed the ONLY KLM flight from AMS to CPT that day.  That immediately meant a 24 hours delay to start our trip.  [Delta scrambled and sent us to LHR instead, with further flights to JNB and then CPT so only an 16 hours delay – but our luggage still went to AMS and by the time it reached our hotel in Cape Town it had a total 40+ hours delay!]  I will pay much more attention in the future to how many later connecting flights there are...

Flew ATL to Prague last month through Amsterdam and had a little under two hours for the transfer.  It was a bit of a walk to our connecting flight but while passport control has improved a bit from our prior experience, it was still a long queue and would plan as much connection time as possible.  They were pulling people out of the line who had tight connections.  I also don't like to push the envelope on connections so and hour and a half in Amsterdam to me is a bit beyond my comfort zone.  

Got our flights.  3 hour layover in JFK then direct to Zurich.  Return is direct from Amsterdam to Atlanta.  Thinking we are set (as long as the flights don't change! 🙄)  Thanks everyone for your input!

baf 

bafinegan,   you have good flights.  Most of the time your three hour layover in JFK will go by quickly.  Sometimes by the time you get to the gate and then get off the jet in JFK; you will have less than three hours between flights.  I will be going similar route myself.  CVG-JFK-ZRH;  then AMS-DTW-CVG.  All on Delta

Thanks for the update on AMS / Delta flights.  I am flying from ZRH to AMS to MSP in may.  I checked to see how much time we had at Schipol and it is 1 hr and 50 minutes.  There are 4 of us flying together so we should be good.  I will have to let the rest of the family know about this.  We have a group of 12 of my cousins and spouses.  Many are going to Europe for the first time.  CC is great for information on all types of things.  Just over 6 months to go.  Plenty of time to get ready.  

michelle

We are flying on Delta in April. JFK to AMS then a 2.5 hour layover before continuing onto Basel Switzerland. Both flights are ticket on Delta, but the AMS to Basel is on KLM. 

My question is, does Delta transfer our checked luggage in AMS or do we have to retrieve it and then check it in for the flight to Basel?

I have been to Europe many times but always fly direct since I live in NY. I have never had a layover....

We are going on our 1st Viking River Cruise!!

@Debbie819, not the same airlines, but we did  Boston--Zurich--Amsterdam, and our checked luggage was not touched by us until we reached Amsterdam.  We did Amsterdam to Basel last month--you will LOVE it!!!

We fly out of Boston so like you, we generally get direct flights to Europe, but had no problems connecting this time.

3 hours ago, Debbie819 said:

We are flying on Delta in April. JFK to AMS then a 2.5 hour layover before continuing onto Basel Switzerland. Both flights are ticket on Delta, but the AMS to Basel is on KLM. 

My question is, does Delta transfer our checked luggage in AMS or do we have to retrieve it and then check it in for the flight to Basel?

I have been to Europe many times but always fly direct since I live in NY. I have never had a layover....

We are going on our 1st Viking River Cruise!!

Hi your bags should be checked all the way thru to Basel;  when you check your bags in JFK make sure the baggage tag has BSL(Basel) on it and not AMS

Edited by AF-1

KLM is a Delta partner.  Your bags will be checked all the way to Basel.  Lucky you, that you have never had a layover.  Enjoy your trip.

57 minutes ago, texasstar said:

KLM is a Delta partner.  Your bags will be checked all the way to Basel.  Lucky you, that you have never had a layover.  Enjoy your trip.

Your bags will be checked through, but because you are entering the Schengen zone in Amsterdam (and Switzerland is part of it) you will go through passport control in Amsterdam before boarding your connecting flight. You go through customs in Basel however, which just means walking through the green line if you have nothing to declare.

Make sure you exit through the correct door, since there are exits to both France and Switzerland.