Sydney Must do's

2Xayear

6 days in Sydney Australia in mid April before cruising back to Vancouver. BNB booked in the CBD and now looking at what to do. One day planned for Taranga Zoo, and one for Manly Beach. HOHO for 2 days with a stop planned for Bondi Beach. What Sydney attractions are on your must do list? We are a couple in our 60’s with no desire for anything really strenuous. Sydney Harbour Bridge yes but not the BridgeClimb to add perspective.

Bob

A day tour (or even an overnight) out to the Blue Mountains is nice, glorious scenery.  A tour of the Opera House.  If you like architecture the Architectural association runs walking tours around Sydney looking at the buildings.  http://www.sydneyarchitecture.org/pages/opening.htm.  A boat tour of the Harbour can be fun for the commentary but you get the views from the Manly Ferry.

What are your likes.

a stroll through the Botanic Gardens

a visit to the Opera House

a wander around The Rocks

The Queen Victoria Building is worth a drop in.

River Cat upto Parramatta is a nice outing.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the same cruise as original poster. Have done the same cruise Sydney to Vancouver for 6 years. I would look in to saving with a purchase of a Sydney City day pass card. You can pick the amount of things you wish to do over the course of time visiting. We did 3 day pass and save over 50% on attractions. Can purchase thru Viator.

Don't forget the current edition of this list, compiled by CCers over the years. It will need reformatting for the new software at some stage, but I think it's still legible.

If there are any Sydney experts who want to update/improve this list before I do that, it would be very welcome.

Do you like jazz? Are you staying in the city? If you're interested, The Rocks has a few great Jazz venues with music at lunch and dinner. Casual dining, a glass of wine or a cold beer is a nice way to end a day of sightseeing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have lunch at Regatta restaurant in Rose Bay or the Bondi Icebergs

if you are in town on a Saturday go to Paddington markets. 

If you like art go the Art Gallery of NSW and lunch there in the wonderful restaurant overlooking the Harbour.

The core of Sydney is the bit between the CBD and Bondi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two of our favorite things a short ways outside of Sydney include the Hunter Valley for wineries, and the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains. 

If you go to the Hunter don't miss the Pepper Tree Winery - hands down our favorite.  Small, intimate, great location, fabulous wines.

The Jenolan Caves are also great and include caves that you can take a wheelchair into, to ones where you have to crawl and rappel to get in and out of.  Plus lots in between.  The road in for the last bit is very windy and steep though.

On Manly go to the Yacht Club (Harbour side) for a drink, or go for a hike on the old military base out on the point.  Take the ferry from the Rocks to get there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the current and newly updated edition of a list, compiled from CCers posts, of suggested tips for Sydney, especially a newcomer.

First, things that you can do even if you only have one day in Sydney:-

Also, Sydney is one of the great eating cities of the world, so there’s no shortage of good and/or exotic food.

If you are staying longer in Sydney, the following day trips out of Sydney are also possible:-

• Blue Mountains / Katoomba / Jenolan Caves

• Northern beaches (up to Palm Beach)

• Hunter Valley wineries

• Canberra

You might also want to have a look at the following threads:-

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good one from Globaliser!

Spot on about bridge climb.  Expensive,   but SO worth it. Everybody I ever sent on this tour came back thrilled. Remember that you will be breath tested before the climb, so go easy on our great Aussie wines before the climb.

For simply walking across the bridge, I would suggest to start on the northern end. That way you will have the city on front of you and don't have to turn to enjoy the views.

Take a train to Milsons Point (First stop after crossing the bridge). From there the stairs to the bridge are easy to find (or staff at the station will tell you the right exit from the station).

From there it is also a easy 10 min walk go the water front for spectacular city and opera house views and views of the bridge from underneath! Around the bend to the right you reach the historic Luna Park amusement park that has good photo ops. 

Edited by buchhalm
  • Like 1

Get a local ferry over to the zoo and/or Manly. Nice views of the harbour without the hefty cruise price. The tall ships is nice and a bit different to the standard harbour cruise.  Walk by the Opera House and around the gardens. The rocks area is lovely. The walk along the foreshore just south of Bondi is beautiful. You can walk from Bondi to Clovelly and get a bus back from there to Bondi or the city. 

I’d add to the list, especially if one has an interest in the history and culture of Australia, the Quarantine Station museum at the North Head - also a spectacular location - that I admittedly went to see with an “oh, alright...” frame of mind but my attitude soon changed once I was immersed in the atmosphere, stories and incredible views. Maybe some old spirits got me too. 

It’s false equivalency to say this is Australia’s Ellis Island because the people arriving on these boats weren’t coming by choice or filled with hope but they ,became immigrants too. Images of Ellis Island don’t always look like it was party time either but people didn’t arrive in shackles. 

This definitely qualifies as one of the most hidden or lesser known highlights of Sydney sightseeing but it’s worth looking into and adding to your itinerary of some of the other things on the list aren’t grabbing you. Admittedly, there’s no shortage of wonderful in Sydney and probably not enough time for it all but as the saying goes, there is something for everyone and I think a lot of people would be fascinated by this and find it unforgettable. I was SO glad I went. 

There are ghost tours too it seems but I don’t bother with those things...got my own ghosts :eek: 

Edited by Host Bonjour
Link didn’t work

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 4:09 AM, Globaliser said:

This is the current and newly updated edition of a list, compiled from CCers posts, of suggested tips for Sydney, especially a newcomer.

First, things that you can do even if you only have one day in Sydney:-

Also, Sydney is one of the great eating cities of the world, so there’s no shortage of good and/or exotic food.

If you are staying longer in Sydney, the following day trips out of Sydney are also possible:-

• Blue Mountains / Katoomba / Jenolan Caves

• Northern beaches (up to Palm Beach)

• Hunter Valley wineries

• Canberra

You might also want to have a look at the following threads:-

This is a very helpful post.  Thank you so much for taking the time to share...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 9:19 AM, RLK33853 said:

Two of our favorite things a short ways outside of Sydney include the Hunter Valley for wineries, and the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains. 

If you go to the Hunter don't miss the Pepper Tree Winery - hands down our favorite.  Small, intimate, great location, fabulous wines.

The Jenolan Caves are also great and include caves that you can take a wheelchair into, to ones where you have to crawl and rappel to get in and out of.  Plus lots in between.  The road in for the last bit is very windy and steep though.

On Manly go to the Yacht Club (Harbour side) for a drink, or go for a hike on the old military base out on the point.  Take the ferry from the Rocks to get there.