Why do you walk out on Rock of Ages?

Seafan22

I am just curious.  I was just on the Breakaway and saw the Rock of Ages show, which I thought was very well done; but during the beginning of the show, about 30 or so people walked out in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.  This is after the write-up in the Freestyle Daily says, "...this is your chance to experience the raunchy rock event of the year."  And,  "Adult themes, course language and sexually suggestive scenes are used throughout the show..."  Then a similar live announcement is made in the theater 15 minutes ahead of show time, and again five minutes ahead of the show.  But still there are walk outs.  

Could some people that walk out share your thinking?  I'm interested.

Thanks 

I was one of those people walking out of this show on the Breakaway. I had high hopes for the show and I'm all for adult humor, raunchy, suggestive etc none of that bothers me. I walked out because to me this show was a real snoozer! I made it about 20 minutes in and thought wow this show is so lame what am I doing wasting my time here when there is other fun stuff to do. That is why I left because it was boring and I imagine all those others felt the same.

Burn the floor on the other hand I thought was fantastic and I have seen it every single time I've been on the Breakaway.

23 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

I am just curious.  I was just on the Breakaway and saw the Rock of Ages show, which I thought was very well done; but during the beginning of the show, about 30 or so people walked out in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.  This is after the write-up in the Freestyle Daily says, "...this is your chance to experience the raunchy rock event of the year."  And,  "Adult themes, course language and sexually suggestive scenes are used throughout the show..."  Then a similar live announcement is made in the theater 15 minutes ahead of show time, and again five minutes ahead of the show.  But still there are walk outs.  

Could some people that walk out share your thinking?  I'm interested.

Thanks 

Because in general people are either stupid or don't listen or both. The same people who walk out are the same idiots who talk all thru the lifeboat drill even though they have people all around them saying to stop talking. God forbid they keep their mouths closed for 10 minutes Lol.

We had a couple next to us during ROA who were in their late 40's or so, doesn't matter what their ages were. They were seated before we arrived, two announcements were made about the show. Within 10 minutes they were gone. I heard them saying to each other they didn't know their would be rock music and they didn't like the cursing or lewd acts LOL

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Because in general people are either stupid or don't listen or both. The same people who walk out are the same idiots who talk all thru the lifeboat drill even though they have people all around them saying to stop talking. God forbid they keep their mouths closed for 10 minutes Lol

Or maybe they just value their time and find the show boring :classic_wink:

41 minutes ago, fourofakind said:

I was one of those people walking out of this show on the Breakaway. I had high hopes for the show and I'm all for adult humor, raunchy, suggestive etc none of that bothers me. I walked out because to me this show was a real snoozer! I made it about 20 minutes in and thought wow this show is so lame what am I doing wasting my time here when there is other fun stuff to do. That is why I left because it was boring and I imagine all those others felt the same.

Burn the floor on the other hand I thought was fantastic and I have seen it every single time I've been on the Breakaway.

I agree with this assessment.  Except for me, that was my reaction to Burn the Floor. 😉

Sometimes, you just need to see some of the show to realize it's not your cup of tea and there are other things you'd prefer to do.  

• Like 2

I love the show - saw a touring production in Chicago a few years ago.  I'm taking my mom to see it on the Breakaway, and I think she'll love it.

That said, if I were going solo...  I would leave if I didn't think the cast was up to par.  I find NCL's entertainment to be very hit or miss.  I've left productions in the past because I just didn't care for the quality.  

You are wrongly assuming everyone that walked out of that show was offended and just didn't listen to all of the announcements.

I walked out.   Not because I was offended at the content.   I was offended at low quality the production was.   It wasn't professional or classy and I didn't like it and wasn't going to waste my time on a low quality evening on vacation.    Oh how I miss the Jean Ann Ryan Company.   This new Australian based production company tries to be too edgy with the cruising public.   I don't think it goes over nearly as well as the Las Vegas style song and dance and las vegas style theater.   Its too edgy, too homosexuality in your face, too driven for shock value.

I left after about 30 minutes, the main problem was the Tone, it was if the Bass was turned off. I did think that there was to much rock on the Breakaway, with that new Syds whatever opening, there needed to be more choices.

We always sit at the end of the aisle just in case we feel the need to walk out.  I never feel compelled to sit through the entire production of anything if I'm not enjoying myself or being entertained.  There's too many other things to do on the ship than to sit through something that I don't find enjoyable.  Maybe they just didn't like the show...

• Like 1

I was on the Breakaway and walked out within 10 minutes. Had nothing to do with raunchiness. I found the lighting distracting as it blinds the audience. Several people kept putting an arm up to shade their eyes. Furthermore, I figured going back to the cabin and reading a book or just hanging out somewhere else would be time better spent. Look at it this way, someone can have my open seat on all future cruises.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

4 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

I don't think it goes over nearly as well as the Las Vegas style song and dance and las vegas style theater.   Its too edgy, too homosexuality in your face, too driven for shock value.

Rock of Ages is a Broadway musical.....  not something any Australian company came up with :)   It seems that all they're trying to do is modernize some of the entertainment, since I suspect that a fair number of the younger demographic cruising these days finds the Vegas-style theatre outdated and boring.  RoA might not be the best choice - perhaps something like Movin' On, Motown (oh wait, that's largely based on African American history, so that's probably out too :classic_rolleyes:) or Beautiful would be better suited as a bridge between demographics.  But if I see one more crappy revue-style show (like Swing!) on a cruise I'll lose my mind.

And "too homosexuality in your face" is telling that it was even mentioned, frankly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

Not raunchy enough? :classic_rolleyes:

I will find out starting this weekend. :classic_smile:

You'll have to report back to us after your cruise :classic_biggrin:

I stayed about 20 minutes and didn't see anything raunchy up to that point, if I had maybe it would have kept me interested. Better entertainment out of Mr. Sexy legs and the ultimate dance clash those are not to be missed!

I want to sail the Breakaway just to see Rock of Ages. Saw it spontaneously with friends when I was in London a few years ago and loved it! We had so much fun and were right up front when the confetti and streamers started being thrown. Not sure if they do that on the Breakaway, but it is a good memory from my trip to the U.K. We were to sail the Breakaway next spring, but bumped our cruise up to sail the Getaway...leaving this Sunday! :classic_smile:

I was one of the walk-outs on the Breakaway a few years back.  I was really looking forward to Rock of Ages because I *adore* 80's rock and, although I'd never seen the play on land - or the movie - I knew it was based around the music I loved.

I walked out because I thought the storyline was stupid and cheesy.   I thought the sets were cheap-looking and the jokes weren't funny.  There, I said it.  I felt like it was hard to sit through even to get to the next song.

I *wanted* to love it!  But I really was disappointed.  So disappointed that I left before it was over. 

• Like 1

I understand the comment about missing the Ryan company, when the Broadway musicals changed annually and the ability to do so didn't appear to be be hampered by fiscal constraints.   

I haven't walked out on ROA but I am tired of it - 5 years and the only thing that changed was the cast.    Last cruise, we didn't bother to see it again.   It's a matter of preference, some might say Bermuda hadn't changed much in those same years but no one complained.  

For me it's no different than some people enjoy watching a movie or a show no matter how many times they've seen it, others like myself prefer a change.   NCL has many repeat cruisers, who like us, enjoyed the convenience of sailing out of NY and I wonder how many survey responses dealt with the lack of variety.   Perhaps sailing out of NOLA, the show will find a new audience.  

The reason that I might walk out over content, is that the warnings are overused and can be useless.  We were one a weather extended cruise one year, and they played Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in the theater one night.  Outside the theater there was a sign warning about adult content and using parental judgement.  Umm, it is Fantastic Beasts??  I walked my 8 and 10 year olds right past the sign and into the movie.  

Now say, that same sign is in front of the door, later in the week or even on a different cruise, of Rock of Ages.  Well clearly the cruise line is over protective, and this is the headline show on a cruise line that hosts many generations, it must be OK for my now 10 and 12 year olds??   Oh, this time they meant it, kids come on we are going.  It could easily happen.  

I do not expect EVERYTHING on board to have multi- generational appeal, but the headline entertainment should be selected and developed to be something everyone on board can enjoy.  NCL is not alone in this regard.  My children suffered through the first 1/2 of CATS on RCI and I felt so bad for the cast when only about 1/3 of the theater returned after intermission, but that is just honestly not a good fit for a cruise.  The cast was really good and the staging was great, but well it is REALLY long and well, it isn't for everyone.  I think the main stream lines could do better developing the 2 or 3 main shows to better suit everyone on board.  

I struggle when walking out, I understand those performers are doing the best they can with what they have, and what they have may not be ideal.  But in an "It was free and there are other options" world there are many reasons to leave.  The most common for my family, kids in tow or not, is it has simply gotten too late and I am too tired.  

Oh my gosh this show far exceeded my expectations!! Major highlight of an amazing trip. Admittedly it did seem to start off slow and took a bit to get into, but so worth it when it all came together. So glad I stayed- my new favorite cruise ship show to date. 

In today's society people are rude and manners are non-existent.   People have no patience to sit for an hour and watch anything.  They rather be walking, talking, and taking selfies.  Its not like you drove to the theater.  You are on a cruise ship, where the hell are you walking out to?  Everyone must be instantly entertained.

This is the same crowd that crowd boarding at airports when their group is not called.  They think they are more important than other people. Insulting the performers on stage has not even crossed their minds.  
We have raised a society of grown children because this is how they act.  You cant expect an 8 year old to sit patient during a Broadway show (that no one is forcing you to see btw) and now "adults" cant do the same.  I am also sick of them playing the "offended" card because someone cursed or a man dressed as a woman.  You realize the language on a Jr High bus is worse than anything you would hear at a show.  Society has become without manners and even worse, a bunch of snow flakes!

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

In today's society people are rude and manners are non-existent.   People have no patience to sit for an hour and watch anything.  They rather be walking, talking, and taking selfies.  Its not like you drove to the theater.  You are on a cruise ship, where the hell are you walking out to?  Everyone must be instantly entertained.

This is the same crowd that crowd boarding at airports when their group is not called.  They think they are more important than other people. Insulting the performers on stage has not even crossed their minds.  
We have raised a society of grown children because this is how they act.  You cant expect an 8 year old to sit patient during a Broadway show (that no one is forcing you to see btw) and now "adults" cant do the same.  I am also sick of them playing the "offended" card because someone cursed or a man dressed as a woman.  You realize the language on a Jr High bus is worse than anything you would hear at a show.  Society has become without manners and even worse, a bunch of snow flakes!

Very well said!!!

People walk out on these shows because they are not theater goers and don’t know or care that when they do this they are negatively impacting others’ enjoyment and being rude and disrespectful to the performers.  There is hardly anything more annoying on a cruise than this behavior.  Find something else to do if you’d even consider doing this.

• Like 6