Uh oh Husband fell off roof

EmmasNana

We cruise in two weeks and husband fell off the roof. He ended up with a broken wrist and due to first landing on his feet he damaged his ankle badly enough that he can't get up or down stairs without major pain. 

I have contacted special needs to get him hooked up with wheel chair service at the pier. Who would I contact in order for him to be able to have muster with others who have difficulties? On the special needs form I did check that he can't go up or down stairs.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, M_BA said:

Just remember that the ships have limited wheelchairs, so you are not guaranteed one. I would suggest renting one locally to take with you onto the cruise ship. Hope he's healing!

We only want it to get on/off the ship, not to use on the ship. He can walk slowly for short distances. He can't stand for any length of time.  He had been using a crutch but I bought a cane when he feels up to it. Luckily, the ankle is not on the same side as the broken wrist. Also I do have a transport chair I could bring if needed. We still have two weeks so hopefully he will be in better shape.

We plan on spending most of our time on the balcony and will probably not get off the ship at all.

18 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

We cruise in two weeks and husband fell off the roof. He ended up with a broken wrist and due to first landing on his feet he damaged his ankle badly enough that he can't get up or down stairs without major pain. 

I have contacted special needs to get him hooked up with wheel chair service at the pier. Who would I contact in order for him to be able to have muster with others who have difficulties? On the special needs form I did check that he can't go up or down stairs.

Thanks!

You might want to consider renting a wheelchair for the cruise.  They are usually cheaper to rent at home.  I would also call special needs back and get a shower stool for the cabin.  Another thing we brought was an old fashion ice bag (the kind with the screw top).  They do not sweat and are only around $10 at Walgreens.  We asked the cabin steward to bring us a large container of ice twice a day to ice down my DH's leg, he was recovering from surgery and was still icing.

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You might want to consider renting a wheelchair for the cruise.  They are usually cheaper to rent at home.  I would also call special needs back and get a shower stool for the cabin.  Another thing we brought was an old fashion ice bag (the kind with the screw top).  They do not sweat and are only around $10 at Walgreens.  We asked the cabin steward to bring us a large container of ice twice a day to ice down my DH's leg, he was recovering from surgery and was still icing.

Good idea, thank you.

1 hour ago, EmmasNana said:

We only want it to get on/off the ship, not to use on the ship. He can walk slowly for short distances. He can't stand for any length of time.  

You don't say what ship you are sailing, depending on the size of the ship and the location of your cabin there can be a considerable amount of walking aboard the ship.  As for the muster drill, on the smaller ships you check in at your station and explain he needs to sit and you will be directed into an area with other passengers with the same issue.  On the Oasis class ships if your muster station has no seating when you check in you explain and they will find you a seat.  Hope your cruise is great despite the last minute complication. 

Wife had foot surgery and had problems standing for any period of time while healing.  I just took both of our sea passes to the Muster station and they told us we could sit in a nearby lounge and listen.  Be sure to have them scan both passes at the muster station so you both get credit for attending.  Sadly, I did see many faking it and abusing the privilege.       

I've seen a lot of the wheeled things you put one knee on. I think they might be called knee walkers. Seems to be used quite often by people with broken foot or ankle. Might be an option. They are much less bulky than a wheelchair.

As a side note to myself STAY OFF THE ROOF WHEN THE CRUISE GETS CLOSE!!

Edited by Robo1098

You don't say which ship or where you are cruising from. From our experience at Fort Lauderdale, after contacting Special needs, we were instructed to find the station outside of the terminal for people in need of assistance. We waited maybe 10 minutes  before my wife was put in a chair and wheeled from one checkpoint to another right onto the ship

To disembark, I went to Guest Services the day before the cruise was done. They told me to go to the On Air Club where we would be looked after. As we had an early departure we were helped off the ship almost right away. My wife was wheeled to the luggage area where the person pushing the wheel chair got a porter for us. From there we went through customs and outside waiting for a ride by 8:10 a.m

Fantastic service both getting on and off the ship.

3 hours ago, Robo1098 said:

I've seen a lot of the wheeled things you put one knee on. I think they might be called knee walkers. Seems to be used quite often by people with broken foot or ankle. Might be an option. They are much less bulky than a wheelchair.

As a side note to myself STAY OFF THE ROOF WHEN THE CRUISE GETS CLOSE!!

My wife also used a knee scooter a lot after her foot surgery.  Great devices.  But on cruises she felt very unstable on hers in the pushing crowds and with all the flooring transitions and ship movement (possibly aided by a few cosmos).  A more athletic person may have found it great, but she found a cane and motorized scooter safer.  Did not want to injure herself further on vacation. 

Thank you everyone for the replies. Knee scooter would be nice but his broken wrist is in a cast which would make it very difficult to use. I bought a cane in hopes that once we are on the ship he can manage to get around. He tried to walk down a step yesterday and set himself back some. 

Special needs has replied back to me and said: 

Once you arrive at the pier, we recommend speaking with one of our agents and they will be able to arrange boarding assistance. During peak times, there may be a wait for assistance.

We also recommend speaking with the Guest Services/Relations Desk who will assist you with accommodations for the departure at the end of your cruise.

BTW this is Galveston.

We tried to go vote yesterday and had to leave. He couldn't take standing in line. 

He has now promised to never go up on the roof again. A man in his 70's has no business up there anyway. We are just so happy he wasn't hurt worse. I guess all that rain we had was a blessing so he fell into a very soft muddy ground instead of rock hard yard.

The ships have wheelchairs that will take you from the port to the ship.  Most ships do not have a supply of wheelchairs for passengers to use when they get off the ship.  We rented a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea and it was so simple.  The wheelchair was in our cabin when we got on board and you just leave the chair in your cabin when you leave.  

Hope your husband is feeling better until you cruise.