BEWARE OF NCL “guarantee policy”

AZSun22

We are very disappointed with our room assignment for the NCL Pearl on our planned Nov 4 trip.  We purposely booked through our travel agent an “obstructed ocean view”.  We did not have the option of picking the room out when booking. Due to my medical condition, I need easy access to outdoor area and lots of natural light. Really not concerned with the “obstructed view” as the priority was location to outdoors and lighting. NCL “upgraded” us to a deck 4 port hole.  How can that be considered an upgrade?  Our agent consistently tried talking with NCL to no avail. NCL was still selling obstructed view rooms as of yesterday yet they wouldn’t assign us a room back in the category we paid for saying they were all already assigned (yet they were still selling them) We are still contemplating cancelling the cruise as we have insurance on it. 

So you booked a guaranteed sail away room and hoped to get something specific?  If you booked an obstructed view sail away rate, then a porthole window is an upgrade because it is NOT obstructed.  The only guarantee with a sail away rate is that you will definitely be in that category or higher.  Port hole window would be considered a higher category than obstructed view.

This is exactly why we never book a sail away rate.  I want to pick a specific room that I either have some experience in that general location or can find reviews online about.

Have you tried having your TA see about requesting an upgrade to a balcony or something and what the difference in price may be?  Sometimes, they will allow you to pay for an upgrade to a higher category room as well.  Just a thought.

I understand your disappointment but the problem is with your travel agent, not NCL.  They should have told you that when you can't choose a cabin, you're buying a guarantee.  What the cruise line considers an upgrade is often not what you would consider an upgrade.

If you can cancel without penalty, go for it.  If not, I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise in spite of the cabin location.  Either way... you should probably consider a more knowledgeable TA!

We didn’t have a sail away rate. We had the OK category. I agree sail seats can put you anywhere and we definitely wouldn’t want that. TA did try to offer more money. NCL was not very helpful. We even had a next cruise discount  $500 to use for balcony or above but price was higher then we wanted even with the discount. We have done an offer on their “bids”. 

Unless you got a specific cabin number, you were booking a guarantee and NCL is free to assign you to any OV and up.  The difference between Sailaway and OK guarantee is with Sailaway you do not get Free at Sea perks and with OK guarantee you do.  

Your TA should have made that clear to you.  If your TA led you to believe you were getting an obstructed OV cabin, they were at fault.  

Sounds to me like your TA screwed the pooch or didn't explain how a GTY works.  I've not seen a GTY for a sub-category of cabins.  It's always Inside, oceanview, balcony etc.  If you pick a sub-category and there are cabins open then you should be able to choose one of them.  If none are open then it may default to a GTY status (that's what my online TA does). That does not mean you have a OK GTY.  It means you have an Oceanview GTY and can be assigned any oceanview cabin. 

4 hours ago, AZSun22 said:

We are very disappointed with our room assignment for the NCL Pearl on our planned Nov 4 trip.  We purposely booked through our travel agent an “obstructed ocean view”.  We did not have the option of picking the room out when booking. Due to my medical condition, I need easy access to outdoor area and lots of natural light. Really not concerned with the “obstructed view” as the priority was location to outdoors and lighting. NCL “upgraded” us to a deck 4 port hole.  How can that be considered an upgrade?  Our agent consistently tried talking with NCL to no avail. NCL was still selling obstructed view rooms as of yesterday yet they wouldn’t assign us a room back in the category we paid for saying they were all already assigned (yet they were still selling them) We are still contemplating cancelling the cruise as we have insurance on it. 

does your insurance cover cancellation for this reason?   Read your policy really carefully before cancelling.

4 hours ago, AZSun22 said:

So,,, you moved from an obstructed porthole (oceanveiw) to a non obstructed pothole. Score!

You might end up loving the location and unobstructed view=more daylight. On The Pearl, getting to a deck and outside is very easy.  It’s not that big a ship and I’d take a guarantee room on any Jewel class. If perks don’t have much value to you you might want to check with ta about upgrading to a balcony guarantee for potentially not much more $. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I did look back on invoice which does state OK/GTY. So yep put us in GTY territory. Didn’t get info we needed from TA to make informed choice. We chose the obstructed because it was a window not a port hole and upper decks.  We will be much more educated on future cruises, NO GTY! 

14 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

I thought you are able to move around to another cabin within the same category once assigned?    (not speaking from experience on this one. . .)

I do not think so. It has always been my understanding a gty cabin is just that: all they are guaranteeing you is a cabin is a certain cat or hopefully better. We used to book gty all the time, but as we are aging and mobility is a concern we pay the extra for picking a cabin in a location and the type we know we will be happy with 

14 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

I understand your disappointment but the problem is with your travel agent, not NCL.  They should have told you that when you can't choose a cabin, you're buying a guarantee.  What the cruise line considers an upgrade is often not what you would consider an upgrade.

If you can cancel without penalty, go for it.  If not, I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise in spite of the cabin location.  Either way... you should probably consider a more knowledgeable TA!

I totally agree: the TA should have taken the time to explain the difference and what they should expect. Yes, OP talk to your agent if it isn't too late. 

NurseJEB, sorry I totally disagree with you on using a TA. if you get a good one, which is easy to do if you do your homework, they can be a blessing, especially to a new cruiser or a new traveler period. Many TAs save their clients a lot of worry and money, and they work hard for the salary they earn. 

I can see how many/most would consider this move to an un-obstructed ocean view an upgrade.  However, would it not make sense before NCL starts "upgrading" people that they first ask if they want to move?  I can see many would want to move but maybe someone would prefer a higher deck but obstructed.  I see no gain or loss from the cruise line's perspective.

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I do not think so. It has always been my understanding a gty cabin is just that: all they are guaranteeing you is a cabin is a certain cat or hopefully better. We used to book gty all the time, but as we are aging and mobility is a concern we pay the extra for picking a cabin in a location and the type we know we will be happy with 

It depends on the cruise line.  I've never booked an NCL GTY cabin so I have no idea what they do. However Celebrity does allow you to move within the same category once a cabin is assigned (if cabins are available).  I've done it twice on Celebrity.

11 minutes ago, TFLG said:

It depends on the cruise line.  I've never booked an NCL GTY cabin so I have no idea what they do. However Celebrity does allow you to move within the same category once a cabin is assigned (if cabins are available).  I've done it twice on Celebrity.

the only time we tried was on HAL and they would not. Actually we had received a one cat upgrade but we didn't care of the location. As we went through the week we loved the location except for the walking and at that time we were much younger. 

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I can see how many/most would consider this move to an un-obstructed ocean view an upgrade.  However, would it not make sense before NCL starts "upgrading" people that they first ask if they want to move?  I can see many would want to move but maybe someone would prefer a higher deck but obstructed.  I see no gain or loss from the cruise line's perspective.

My understanding is that they didn't get "moved".  They got assigned a cabin consistent with terms of GTY (in the GTY category or better).  So, the customer "agreed" to the upgrade when they booked.

My TA advised me that when you book a cabin, either a Sail Away or You pick your own, you have to indicate whether you will accept an Upgrade or not. If you state that you will accept an upgrade then if you are upgraded you must accept the upgraded cabin. No exceptions. If you state that you wish to be notified if and when an upgrade is available you then have the option of accepting or rejecting. I always state that I wish to be notified by my TA if an upgrade is available. I never indicate that I WILL accept an upgrade regardless.

13 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

Does that work for a guarantee booking?  I thought the definition was you will get that category at a minimum?

No, they were never given a cabin in the first place, they were assigned this cabin and are unhappy with it, but that’s th3 chance you take when you book guarantee.