How does a back to back voyage work?

Bigmike911

It will not occur until next September, but for the first time I have booked two voyages back to back. The initial voyage was the 10 day westbound TransAtlantic from Hamburg. At dinner a few weeks back in London with friends I met aboard QM2 ten years ago we were discussing the trip and I said why not come along and take the four day break Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton. They said they would, if I would. I got back to my hotel and emailed my Travel Agent in California, asking if she could book me on the two day Southampton to Hamburg leg in the same accommodation class as my original trip. By the time I got up and checked my email it was done. I ended up with two trips, booked with future cruise credits. No OBC for the two day trip, but lots with free drinks and gratuities on the second 10 day trip. The reservations have been cross referenced so Cunard will know I am on both. I am sure it will all work out, but I would love some advice from voyagers who have had this experience. 

To further complicate this, I am in a guarantee, for which there are currently no open cabins. I know its a long way off, and final payments aren't due til next May, so I am sure it will get sorted. I hope I do not have to move cabins in Hamburg. Will I have to settle my bill for the two day and have another at the end of the 10 day? I would like to book a tour in Hamburg that I would not qualify for as a 'boarding passenger, and another in Southampton, which I cannot book as an arriving and departing passenger. I suspect that the opportunity to make bucks will allow it to happen but not on line.

I would love to hear from folks who have done this. Thanks Mike.  

I have booked several back-to-back voyages on QM2 as separate voyages, but I've always booked the same cabin for each segment, so I don't have the experience of moving cabins between segments. But others here have done so and have reported that it is an easy process. I imagine some of them will be happy to share their experiences about changing cabins between voyages.

Yes, you will have to settle two separate bills, one for each segment. But assuming you have registered a credit card at check-in, that's done automatically with a final statement slipped under your door during the last night of each segment. Nothing further need be done with regard to settling your account. Since all your OBC is on the booking for the second segment, you won't be able to apply any of that OBC toward charges incurred on your first segment.

You will get one keycard for the first 2-day voyage (Southampton-Hamburg) at your initial check-in at Southampton. You will get your second keycard for the subsequent 10-day voyage (Hamburg-New York) on board. The timing of when you get the second keycard will depend on whether you manage to keep the same cabin or not. If you won't be changing cabins, the keycard for your second voyage should be sent to your cabin during the afternoon/early evening on the final day of the first segment before you arrive in Hamburg. If you will be changing cabins, then I believe the procedure is to obtain your second keycard from the pursers desk on the morning you arrive in Hamburg. You will scan off the ship in Hamburg using your first keycard and then scan back onto the ship using your second keycard.

Believe it or not, you should be able to book a shore excursion for Hamburg via the Voyage Personaliser. In my experience, it always shows shore excursions in Voyage Personaliser for both the embarkation and disembarkation days, since Voyage Personaliser has no clue about whether you will be continuing on the subsequent voyage or not. There is always a proviso in the Voyage Personaliser that shore excursions on embarkation and disembarkation days are only for in-transit passengers (and that would be you in the case of your day in Hamburg). The only complication I can think of is that a shore excursion with an early departure time might interfere with the formalities involved in getting your new keycard on that morning if you need to change cabins. But again, since I've never had to do that, I can't say for sure if that would be an issue or not.

Hope this is of some help.

I've gotten the new keycard the evening before arriving at the port.

As has been said, you can do any tour ( that you choose to sign up for ) at the " transit" port.  You go off the ship with the 'old' key card, and enter the ship with the 'new' key card.  The stewards do all the moving of your stuff,  you can leave hanging items on the hangers, + it will be moved to the new cabin.  Just pack up your items from the shelves and drawers + bathroom, and those cases will be moved for you.  Its amazingly simple and easy.

We had to change rooms this year. We had to pack anything that wasn't on hangers. We hung as much on hangers as we could.

When we reached our new room all of our things that had been in the wardrobes had been hung back in the same places as they had been. So everything that had been in the left hand wardrobe was back in the left in the new room etc.

We had very little to do to make the new room homely again.

11 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

The only thing I would add, is to take your valuables along to your new cabin, which may, or more likely may not, be ready, and ask if you can store them in the safe before going ashore.

Excellent Reminder, Thanks. Mike.