Hawaii Pride Of America - Swimming Pool at Ports

Hi All ....  Going on our first family vacation on a cruise .... Pride of America in Hawaii this December.  We are going to take advantage of some excursions at some ports but my kids would also love just a day to go to a resort and go swimming in a big pool.  We have seen some nice resorts that have lazy rivers, waterslides and other.  For whatever reason they are not really beach/ocean swimming kids. 

Are there ANY options at ANY ports to go swimming at any of the hotel pools?  Either in Kona, Hilo, Kauai, or Maui?  I understand we would need to get a car or take a taxi but wanted to see if anyone knew of any hotel we could go swimming in a pool at.  Thanks!!

2 hours ago, Chitown2018Cruiser said:

Hi All ....  Going on our first family vacation on a cruise .... Pride of America in Hawaii this December.  We are going to take advantage of some excursions at some ports but my kids would also love just a day to go to a resort and go swimming in a big pool.  We have seen some nice resorts that have lazy rivers, waterslides and other.  For whatever reason they are not really beach/ocean swimming kids. 

Are there ANY options at ANY ports to go swimming at any of the hotel pools?  Either in Kona, Hilo, Kauai, or Maui?  I understand we would need to get a car or take a taxi but wanted to see if anyone knew of any hotel we could go swimming in a pool at.  Thanks!!

At least in our experience on Maui, hotel/resort facilities are for the use of registered guests only.  All beaches in Hawaii are public and free, however.  Google the Kaanapali Beach or Wailea areas just to see what they have to offer.  

22 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

At least in our experience on Maui, hotel/resort facilities are for the use of registered guests only.  All beaches in Hawaii are public and free, however.  Google the Kaanapali Beach or Wailea areas just to see what they have to offer.  

We suggested the beaches even though it seems your kids aren't into them because Hawaii has many beaches that are more relaxed (for the parents perhaps) and fascinating (so much to explore and discover for the kids).  The resort pools attract quite a crowd as a rule, and may not be as much fun as expected.  We knew of one family though that rented a room at a resort for one day so they could have pool privileges and a place to shower, change out and take a break privately.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

The Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island has interesting pools.  You'd need a rental car to get there from the ship, when it is at Kona, for the day.  I think the day-pass, per person is a lot of $$$$.  You can't just "" go there "" and decide to flop into the pools.  Security will be onto you, quickly.  Look it up, on line...…. or view MANY of the old versions of Wheel-Of-Fortune to see what it looks like.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for a couple days during our cruise to go to a beach and hang out with my 8/10 year old boys and wife.  I have lined up a couple excursions, but frankly don't want to be lazy and drop $300/day on organized cruise excursions and miss out on the real Hawaii experience.  We've never been.  Any ideas on 1. cool beaches to hang out on, and 2. how to get there?  I'm finding this trip to be a bit overwhelming due to the fact that it's difficult to get clean answers on what I feel are pretty simple questions.  On such and such island, go do this.  On another island, go do that.  Any help is much appreciated.  We will be on this cruise over Thanksgiving week 2019!  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, jimipig said:

I'm looking for a couple days during our cruise to go to a beach and hang out with my 8/10 year old boys and wife.  I have lined up a couple excursions, but frankly don't want to be lazy and drop $300/day on organized cruise excursions and miss out on the real Hawaii experience.  We've never been.  Any ideas on 1. cool beaches to hang out on, and 2. how to get there?  I'm finding this trip to be a bit overwhelming due to the fact that it's difficult to get clean answers on what I feel are pretty simple questions.  On such and such island, go do this.  On another island, go do that.  Any help is much appreciated.  We will be on this cruise over Thanksgiving week 2019!  Thanks.

Welcome to the forum jimipig. Check out the link that was provided in post number two.  Lots of good info on beaches and the various islands

Edited by ColinIllinois

3 minutes ago, jimipig said:

We are sailing right before you in early November!  🙂  I have only been to Maui on land vacations but IMO, the best way to see the islands is to rent a car at each port and explore on your own.

The best beaches will be a short drive from where the POA docks at each port.  There is a beach within walking distance (Kalapaki Beach) from where the ship docks on Kauai.  This might be an option on day 2 which is short--walk over in the morning, spend some time at the beach and have lunch at Duke's at the Marriott before going back to the ship.  A better beach would be Poipu Beach but that would require transportation.  If you rent a car of course, you have your choice of beaches on each island.

In Kona on the BI, I believe there is a beach close to port but I am not familiar with it.  On Maui, there are lots of great beaches but once again, they require transportation to get there.

• Like 1

I've stayed at the Grand Wailea Resort on Maui and the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and both have great pool systems.  I do think you'd have to rent a room for a day to get access, and whoa that would be expensive.  That said, the snorkeling on Maui was fantastic and a doors-off private helicopter tour in Kauai was almost a religious experience, it was so amazing.

Is there a resort on the Big Island that you can stay at for a night or two before or after the cruise so you can get the resort experience?  The resorts are great but to miss out on what each island has to offer...

Hilton Waikoloa pool day pass, 30-40 min drive north of Kona.

$40 adults, $20 kids

https://www.resortpass.com/hilton-waikoloa-village?date=

might be best to take Uber/Cab since parking is not free for a rental car unless you park across the street at the beach public access lot.

Edited by smithop