HAL Wine by the glass on Drinks Package

Deirdre6084

I am planning to go on a Holland America ship next year. The Explore4 promo includes the signature drinks package which, I understand, includes drinks up to the value of $9. I plan to drink wine by the glass but the wines at that price point don't seem great so I would like to get better wines by the glass with meals. My question is : if I ordered a glass of wine at say $12, would I get charged $3 or would I be charged the full amount for the wine i.e. $12? 

If you think you will be wanting higher-priced wines, you can PROBABLY upgrade your SBP to EBP (Elite) for the daily difference in price.

I say probably because you may have to go to more than one bar to find a bartender to do it for you. 

It's important to do this before you buy ANYTHING on the SBP.

I have not done it (not a highbrow wine drinker), but have read on the HAL board of others who were successful in doing so. The difference is only $5/day so just one glass of better wine can pay for three days! (Elite allows drinks up to $15 apiece.)

Edited by crystalspin

A problem on HAL is that even if you had the "super deluxe ultra perfect drink package" you still would not be able to get a decent wine (by the glass)!  Because HAL rarely has any decent wines by the glass.  They do have some decent wines on their list (which does not mean they actually have it aboard) but those wines are not part of the packages that have previously been available to 3, 4 and 5 Star Mariners at a discount.  The old Navigator and Admiral wine packages were selected with the discounts in mind!  Consider a scenario where HAL buys a cheap wine for $8 per bottle, puts it on the wine list for $40 per bottle, and then discounts it so that a 4 or 5 Star Mariner pays $20 per bottle (plus 15%).  In the end you are still getting a drinkable $8 wine!

I have no clue what is going to happen with wine packages in the near future, but we are keeping our fingers crossed that the quality of the offerings improves....even if one must pay a higher price.  Unfortunately, my experience tells me that HAL will somehow find a way to charge higher prices for lower quality :(.  We shall see.  We have cruised on 14 different cruise lines and HAL has consistently had one of the worst wine lists and packages.  It would be nice to see a positive change..

Hank

15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If you think you will be wanting higher-priced wines, you can PROBABLY upgrade your SBP to EBP (Elite) for the daily difference in price.

I say probably because you may have to go to more than one bar to find a bartender to do it for you. 

Why's that? Wouldn't the bartender get the difference in tips?

Also, guest relations could do that?

Hubby doesn't drink. So part of my dilemma is what you mention. If I upgrade to the Elite package we would have to pay the extra for him too and he would be content on a soft drinks and coffee package 🙂 ..... decisions decisions. Why would I have to choose to upgrade before I got any drinks on the signature package? On Celebrity I think you could upgrade at any point and just pay for the remaining days. 

Not on HAL.

Once you start to use the Signature Drink package, HAL won't let you change.

If you do decide to upgrade, you need to do it right away.  It will cost you more and may not be worth it since your DH doesn't drink.

We wouldn't even buy the Signature Beverage on our own as we do not drink a lot and do not feel it is worth the price.