Couple to Solo After Booking

karinad

I'm asking this on this board instead of the Solo one because it's not exactly a solo question. Because I might be going solo the next cruise, what if I book a double and have to cancel the 2nd person? There's always a possibility that my dh will change his mind and decide to go with me on the next cruise. So, it would be better for me to book a double . What does the cruise line do if this happens before FINAL payment?

3 minutes ago, karinad said:

I'm asking this on this board instead of the Solo one because it's not exactly a solo question. Because I might be going solo the next cruise, what if I book a double and have to cancel the 2nd person? There's always a possibility that my dh will change his mind and decide to go with me on the next cruise. So, it would be better for me to book a double . What does the cruise line do if this happens before FINAL payment?

Booking a double occupancy is usually always the best option if/when unsure. Easier to delete someone than to add them. Or even at times use the no show.

8 minutes ago, dread_pirate said:

If it happens before final payment, the cruise line recalculates the fare to account for the single supplement. If a refundable deposit fare was chosen initially, the deposit for the second person should be refunded.

For the cruise lines I am most familiar with, the deposit for a SOLO is equal to the double occupancy deposit.

If your husband might go then book a double. If he doesn't go you will end up paying the double fare, less fees and taxes anyway. By booking double now, you lock in the price, whether one or two of you sail.

Thank you! I was concerned if there was any kind of perks that were booked with the cruise at the beginning! The canceling for any reason insurance is a good idea! I do always get travel insurance, but, I have never got that. Yes, it seems like I'd be better off booking the double, anyway!

21 hours ago, AdGuyMG said:

For the cruise lines I am most familiar with, the deposit for a SOLO is equal to the double occupancy deposit.

I've been able to pay only an individual deposit when traveling solo in a double stateroom. Of course, in some cases that may not work, and then there would be no refund of the deposit.