Princess said "This flight departs too early to reliably make your flight after arrival"

Dreamer333

I'm debarking the Ruby and flying out of LAX. My flight departs at 11:30am. When I entered this info into my cruise personalizer, I received the message "This flight departs too early to reliably make your flight after arrival"... I've done this same sailing many times and have done this departure time many times with no issues at all, but this is the first time I've gotten this message from Princess.

Has anything changed in the past year with debarkation processes off the Ruby? Or are they simply being extra cautious in case of any unexpected delays or emergencies?

One time on the Caribbean Princess we didn't disembark until Noon. The winds were so strong that the ship slammed into the dock at Red Hook and knocked out the gangway. We live in NY so it wasn't an issue for us. By the time we got off and through customs there was major traffic coming in and out of port that it took over an hour to get a taxi and 30 minutes to get out of the port. Those who had early flights missed them. In my opinion 11:30 is way to early to book a return flight. When we fly to port  I look for a return flight that leaves around 3 or later.

while lax is not physically far from the port, traffic wise, that can be a disaster.  i'm betting you did not put your flight info in previously because they have always recommended flights after 1pm.

there are a bunch of similar threads in the west coast departures board asking the same thing and getting the same answers.  IF everything goes perfectly, the boat is cleared quickly, you get to walk off, there is no traffic, and tsa security isn't busy, sure.  

as a LA resident., i wouldn't take that flight.  there is construction around LAX and every time i have been to drop off or pick up friends, the U in front of LAx is a complete zoo, and security has been crazytown.

like lamcruzin, i have also experienced a huge delay in disembarking in miami, first the mooring line became loose, so they had to pull back the gangway, secure the lines again, and put the gangway back.  then lightening prevented us from using the gangway.  i wasn't off the ship until after noon, and there was still several groups after me.  granted, you aren't likely to have the storm issue in san pedro, i'd be more worried about clearing customs, and then traffic.  

good luck!

Edited by vampiress
  • Like 1

The Princess message is a caution based on hundreds of disembarkations in San Pedro every year and they have similar messages citing appropriate flight times - from their perspective - for other disembarkation ports if you enter a too early flight.  Should you decide to continue with the 11:30 flight, you can interpret the message as 'make sure you have a plan B!'  When is your next available flight?  How much will it cost?  Will it have available seats? etc.

Ask anyone who lives in the LA area and they’ll say book the flight but have a Plan B. LAX recommends air passengers arrive for check-in at least two hours before your flight. LA traffic is pretty much horrible any time of the day or night. Just checked Google and the 405 (the major road to LAX) is backed up for miles between the 110 and LAX. It probably won’t clear up for another hour (close to or after 10am). 

I wish you luck but be prepared. You may get lucky and be st the airport early but chances are than you won’t. Hard to predict in spite of someone saying they do it all the time. It takes just one time to revise your opinion and advice. 

LAX is a stressful airport to get to because the traffic is terrible.  I recommend you walk off with the FIRST group off the ship and catch a taxi outside.  The fares are pre-set to the airport. I think it's $60 maybe to LAX, plus tip?  I was able to barely catch my 11:30 flight on a Monday.  I was travelling for work so I needed to make that flight to catch my connection internationally, last flight I could take out of MIA.  I have TSA, but had to check luggage.  That took a while plus security took some time.  I actually have CLEAR as well, but it was not closely available for American Airlines.   So, I ran through the airport and arrived at the terminal while it was boarding.  It was the worst stress ever!!  

You may luck out and have plenty of time at the airport.  You may miss your flight.  You may barely make it.  It really is a coin toss.  Make sure you have a plan b.  Good luck.  I hope you make your flight stress free!

Although, you mention you've taken the flight before, so it sounds like you've had some good luck with that and some experience.  

Would this message have anything to do with a passenger   using the Princess transportation to the airport.    They usually wait till the busses are filled before leaving.    If you were using your own transportation and walked off the ship with your luggage you would probably make it but as others have said have a backup plan.    In the past there have been issues at LAX that have slowed down traffic. 

Nothing has changed this is how its always been.......

This happens when the independent flight info you enter is outside the suggested parameters set by Princess.

Nothing more you need to do. It will still be entered.

As stated in another post above this would also be an issue if you book a Princess transfer.

We usually get a 10:00 am flight at LAX and have done it many times.

We always do the first group walk off and carry our luggage.

Since you have done it a few times before you know the drill.

I just got off the Golden in late September.  Luckily I don' have to deal with LAX.  My assigned time was 9:15 AM.  Walked off the ship at 10:30.  Out the door at 11.  We were on hold for an hour.  No one...was allowed off the ship.  Princess wasn't saying anything.  Customs official laughed...it was Princess' "machines" that were the problem.  

Are you planning to self disembark?  Before 9:15, they were already running 30 minutes late.

8 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Some people are more cautious than others about flights.  I wold take that flight in a heartbeat, but I am a person who doesn't stress if I miss a flight.

Yep, there's nothing like sitting around LAX for three or four hours wondering whether you'll make standby on the next available flight to end your cruise in the loveliest possible way.

The time change for LAX flights could be due to the recent very heavy congestion the airport is experiencing.  Someone I know spent 45 mins. getting from the 405 offramp to their terminal (which is a short distance and should take no more than 5-10 mins.)  I'm not sure if it's due to the construction or what, but it has really been bad lately.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I wouldn't hesitate to take an 11:30 flight but I live in Phoenix so there are tons of options if I missed the flight.  I like the advice of booking11:30 (especially if you are talking a Saturday or Sunday) , but have a plan B.  I skip EZ Air coming out of LA for this very reason.

My last flight to take to NY is 12:30. I’ve never worried in the past and always made it, but now after reading this, I think I’ll use some southwest points to make a reservation for the next day and cancel once I’m at the airport on time. Of course then I need to make a hotel reservation with a shuttle near the airport that can be canceled too. 

I agree that having plan B (and perhaps plan C) is never a mistake. Whenever we fly in from Florida to New Jersey in the winter, I always book a hotel room that can be cancelled for the day we fly home,  just in case. And I have notes all over the place to remember to cancel. What’s strange though is I still look for the best price even though I probably won’t use it. Old habits die slowly!

5 hours ago, shepp said:

Yep, there's nothing like sitting around LAX for three or four hours wondering whether you'll make standby on the next available flight to end your cruise in the loveliest possible way.

Who said anything about sitting around LAX for three hour wondering if I would make the next standby flight? No way!

I would leave the airport, stay at a nice hotel, and have a nice dinner and book a flight for the next day or the day after that. I don't have to be back at work, so I travel at my convenience.

You just never know.  I was at LAX yesterday at 7:45 after disembarking Emerald at 6:30 (first walk-off group).  It was so early the cabs and shuttles weren't even there yet, and I had a wait quite awhile for a cab.  Nevertheless, I got to sit at LAX for three hours waiting for my 10:50 flight, which many would have considered way too early (and on some other day, maybe it would have been way too early).  This time, it was fine.  If sometime it's not fine, I'll figure out alternatives.  

9 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Who said anything about sitting around LAX for three hour wondering if I would make the next standby flight? No way!

I would leave the airport, stay at a nice hotel, and have a nice dinner and book a flight for the next day or the day after that. I don't have to be back at work, so I travel at my convenience.

I like the way you think!!!

18 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Nothing has changed this is how its always been.......

This happens when the independent flight info you enter is outside the suggested parameters set by Princess.

Nothing more you need to do. It will still be entered.

As stated in another post above this would also be an issue if you book a Princess transfer.

We usually get a 10:00 am flight at LAX and have done it many times.

We always do the first group walk off and carry our luggage.

Since you have done it a few times before you know the drill.

Thanks, Colo Cruiser. This is exactly what I was looking for. Since we've done this flight several times, I'm not worried, as long as nothing has changed in the disembarkment process.

Not for Los Angeles, but I'd like to share an experience.

In 2007 we had a Princess cruise round trip Copenhagen. We got a great airfare, but it was only good for 9 AM. Both Princess and our TA said that was way too early. The airfare was too good to pass up (just over $700 each roundtrip between Newark and Copenhagen including all taxes), so we stayed a day after the cruise.

When we got the form to get the luggage tags for leaving the ship, my DW noticed there was a category Continental flights at 9 AM. I looked, and not only was she right, but there was also a category for flights earlier than that.

They are just covering their asses when they tell you beforehand that the flight you are considering is too early