MDR Dress on regular nights

Cuttersmom

I read in the dress code - no shorts in the MDR. How strict are they on that? I wear a leg brace and its so much easier and more comfortable for me to wear shorts (dress shorts). I've been told they tend to be stricter with men in shorts vs women, but wanted to check if anyone knows. 

25 minutes ago, Cuttersmom said:

I read in the dress code - no shorts in the MDR. How strict are they on that? I wear a leg brace and its so much easier and more comfortable for me to wear shorts (dress shorts). I've been told they tend to be stricter with men in shorts vs women, but wanted to check if anyone knows. 

Perhaps have a chat with the Maitre 'd or and/or one of his assistants at the podium at the MDR entrance on your first visit and fill him/her in 

Edited by Copper10-8

5 minutes ago, Sea girl 23 said:

There is the issue-depending on what kind of leg brace it is-potentially getting caught on the skirt.

Not surprised the “must.dress.up. Even on gala nights” crowd has gotten in here already🙄

😉 I'm prepared for the gala nights - going to buffet - but since the only shoe the brace fits in is tennis shoes (and not nice cute ones), aside from being easier and more comfortable in shorts, I personally feel extremely uncomfortable wearing a skirt with the shoes. And you're right, because of my walking gait I would be sure to trip up with a maxi dress or similar.

I may do as Copper10-8 suggested and talk to the maitre'd in advance, otherwise I'll enjoy the buffet every night! (But they surely wouldn't kick a disabled person out of the MDR, would they?! LOL!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Perhaps have a chat with the Maitre 'd or and/or one of his assistants at the podium at the MDR entrance on your first visit and fill him/her in 

This makes the most sense.  Personally, I cannot see them speaking to you at all about your "dress".  Common sense would tell the crew you wear what you need to based on your brace.  If you want to dress up a bit, just put a few glittery stickers on your brace or maybe sequins.  (And I hope your brace does not hamper your trip too much)

Not sure I understand. Are you saying you NEVER wear anything but shorts?  I find that difficult to believe unless you live in a tropical climate and never go anywhere where you dress up even slightly. I would think you have some clothes in your closet that you could wear besides shorts

I just went to Value Village to shop for our cruise.  Spent all the money on airfare and hotels in San Diego lol.  I bought 3 midi length print full skirts, and half a dozen light cotton tops to mix and match.  I will dress the skirts and tops up with nice necklaces.  I think the midi length skirts would look just find with your running shoes.  I have a pair of Arcopedio bright orange knit runners that I will wear with one of the skirts to the MDR.  I always wear comfortable shoes versus heels. I have MS and I don't want to fall off my shoes lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

On a European Cruise I saw one gentleman wear dress Kilts to the MDR.

My husband has worn his on several cruises, and rec'd a whistle or two in the elevator and a comment, "nice legs there."  Now imagine if someone did this to a woman!

I usually wear black as a foil for my peacock.  

He has a kilt roll so this eliminates the weight problem but on the last cruise, didn't bring the heavy jacket and a white shirt.

Ruth

15 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

My husband has worn his on several cruises, and rec'd a whistle or two in the elevator and a comment, "nice legs there."  Now imagine if someone did this to a woman!

I usually wear black as a foil for my peacock.  

He has a kilt roll so this eliminates the weight problem but on the last cruise, didn't bring the heavy jacket and a white shirt.

Ruth

Yeah OK, but did he bring and wear a sgian-dubh? Just checking :classic_cool:

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

More importantly - did he wear a lèine cròiche or just a smile? :classic_ohmy:

Edited by colbe
Increase font size!!!
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, but a fake rubber one we'd purchased when our 4 year old grandson was a ring bearer.  though once mistakenly brought the razor sharp real one and it wasn't confiscated.

6 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Yes, but a fake rubber one we'd purchased when our 4 year old grandson was a ring bearer.  though once mistakenly brought the razor sharp real one and it wasn't confiscated.

1. Excellent! :classic_biggrin:

2. On HAL? Say it ain't so :classic_ohmy: 

7 hours ago, Cuttersmom said:

😉 I'm prepared for the gala nights - going to buffet - but since the only shoe the brace fits in is tennis shoes (and not nice cute ones), aside from being easier and more comfortable in shorts, I personally feel extremely uncomfortable wearing a skirt with the shoes. And you're right, because of my walking gait I would be sure to trip up with a maxi dress or similar.

I may do as Copper10-8 suggested and talk to the maitre'd in advance, otherwise I'll enjoy the buffet every night! (But they surely wouldn't kick a disabled person out of the MDR, would they?! LOL!)

Oh, please don't miss out on the lovely MDR dinners because of your situation!  To me it sounds like your circumstances would be pretty self-explanatory to most people, but no doubt the maitre'd would be touched by your explanation.  Enjoy your cruise...in your shorts or in whatever else you cobble together to fit your apparatus.   

• Like 1

All these suggestions for alternatives to shorts are good.  OP, don't worry about your sneaker footwear. My friend stays in Neptune Suites and always dines fixed at 8 in the MDR. She wears her brightly colored sneakers even with her gala attire. 

• Like 1

I think maybe if you are wearing dress shorts, fashion top, brace and and sneakers and the overall look says “Hi, I’m respecting your dress code to the best of my ability,” you should be OK, though approaching the maitre d’ might be a good idea. I’ve seen lots of HAL passengers look lovely while still dressed for comfort. I once had to wear a gown and a cast on my broken foot to an evening wedding. There was no way to wear a cast on one foot and high heel on the other, so I wore one Chuck Taylor sneaker. Almost no one noticed and anyone that did just laughed.

37 minutes ago, ladocevita said:

I think all cruise lines are getting more casual. Some allow some don’t. suggest you talk to staff. 

I am not planning on taking any formal clothes on our Alaska Cruise next July. With the fickle Alaska weather and the need to have coats and or sweaters for both cruise and land portion over 14 days, there just isn't room to pack a suit or jacket. I will be packing several pairs of nice dressier jeans that I will wear every night in the MDR. I am to the point in my life that the only occasion I want to dress up any more are weddings and funerals, cruising is not on my list of dressing up things to do. Unfortunately at my age its more funerals than weddings. In fact I do not even own a suit anymore, just a couple of sport coats and slacks to go with them.

We are booked on a Mediterranean Viking Ocean luxury cruise in 2020 and one of the many appealing things about Viking is nothing but smart casual for dinners any night.

Edited by terrydtx