ONE WAY TRANSATLANTIC (E or W) AFFORDABLE OPTIONS?

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

FWIW, and I know this won't work for everyone, here's what we do.

I only book a TA when I have enough miles to get two first class tickets.  Fortunately the miles build up quickly.  Last time we did this for the UK, we paid literally a few dollars for seats that were 10k.  Looks like we have enough miles so we're going to book another when they release the new routes.

Retired and loving it

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks Julie, I may be looking into that for next year's TA.

See you soon.:classic_smile:

Research, research, research.

Friends don't let friends fly Norwegian. 😉

They have a direct from Copenhagen to Orlando in a 787.  Sounds promising, right.  I won't risk it.  To many risks of cancellation and delay.

Or so I've read. 

JMHO

Didn’t Norwegian just fold?

We are planning a London trip in the summer of 2019.  The cruise is already expensive and if the airfare doesn’t come down we may cancel the whole thing.  We have till March to decide and even have a back up cruise booked just in case.  Airfare right now seems crazy.

9 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We booked on Delta through A2S when flights opened.  Tickets from Copenhagen to Orlando were $399.24 and we upgraded to Comfort + through Delta for just over $100.  We are happy with that price!

Wow, I tried to make a change with a Delta A2S fare and they told me to pound sand

10 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We booked on Delta through A2S when flights opened.  Tickets from Copenhagen to Orlando were $399.24 and we upgraded to Comfort + through Delta for just over $100.  We are happy with that price!

When did you purchase the flights?

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Wow, I tried to make a change with a Delta A2S fare and they told me to pound sand

When we bought our December flight from Orlando to Venice, our A2S price was $276.06 each.  Great, but when I tried to upgrade, Delta wouldn't let me.  I periodically checked and finally in June, the website let me upgrade to Delta Comfort + for $124.95.  Whew!  So glad we were able to do that!  Again, we booked the original ticket almost immediately when flights opened. 

2 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

When we bought our December flight from Orlando to Venice, our A2S price was $276.06 each.  Great, but when I tried to upgrade, Delta wouldn't let me.  I periodically checked and finally in June, the website let me upgrade to Delta Comfort + for $124.95.  Whew!  So glad we were able to do that!  Again, we booked the original ticket almost immediately when flights opened. 

Pretty much same use case as us.  They said A2S was a consolidated fare and not changeable. I did not try again.

I now book what I want at a fare I can live with.

After the Singapore debacle that means BC for all overseas flights

15 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We purchased the flights through A2S in late June and upgraded to Comfort + in August.  The flights are for May 15th.

Dang, I was hoping it the purchase was more recent, which would have supported the theory that the prices we are seeing now is a glitch.

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty much same use case as us.  They said A2S was a consolidated fare and not changeable. I did not try again.

I now book what I want at a fare I can live with.

After the Singapore debacle that means BC for all overseas flights

We've done A2S and Choice Air at least 3 times on Delta, and have always been able to upgrade to Comfort+.  However, when people criticize cruise air, they do mention that you never know what kind of fare the cruise line will purchase from the airline.  Technically, they could purchase a fare that is not even eligible for miles.  Sounds like your fare was like a Basic Economy, not eligible for Comfort+ upgrade.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Would using Norwegian require a stop in Norway for flights from the US?

We fly out Friday LAX to Barcelona 10 hour nonstop. Prices were as low as I have ever seen. We booked their version of business class for $650.00 pp. Economy was as low as $232.00. one way.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

We've done A2S and Choice Air at least 3 times on Delta, and have always been able to upgrade to Comfort+.  However, when people criticize cruise air, they do mention that you never know what kind of fare the cruise line will purchase from the airline.  Technically, they could purchase a fare that is not even eligible for miles.  Sounds like your fare was like a Basic Economy, not eligible for Comfort+ upgrade.

Supposedly, the reason we couldn't upgrade was because A2S sold me "Refundable" flights!  Now who would think that was a bad thing?  I was really happy till I found out Delta wouldn't upgrade.  Still, the price was so good, I didn't want to cancel and figured we could suffer through one flight in Basic Economy!  Couldn't believe it when I checked months later and the website let me upgrade!  I couldn't pay fast enough!

8 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Supposedly, the reason we couldn't upgrade was because A2S sold me "Refundable" flights!  Now who would think that was a bad thing?  I was really happy till I found out Delta wouldn't upgrade.  Still, the price was so good, I didn't want to cancel and figured we could suffer through one flight in Basic Economy!  Couldn't believe it when I checked months later and the website let me upgrade!  I couldn't pay fast enough!

I believe that sometimes when you make A2S reservations, even though you pay Royal, Royal does not immediately purchase the tickets from the airline.  This happened once on Delta, and the Delta rep was nice enough to explain those details to me.  So I called A2S and requested they pay for the tickets, which they did, and then I could upgrade to Comfort+.

21 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe that sometimes when you make A2S reservations, even though you pay Royal, Royal does not immediately purchase the tickets from the airline.  This happened once on Delta, and the Delta rep was nice enough to explain those details to me.  So I called A2S and requested they pay for the tickets, which they did, and then I could upgrade to Comfort+.

Interesting!  That does make sense and it's certainly good info to know.  Thanks for sharing!  We have been very happy flying Delta Comfort +

We are doing a TA to Barcelona to April/May and flying a nonstop out of Paris to Orlando, $300pp on Norwegian, checked bags and food included. I've heard mixed reviews of Norwegian but willing to take the gamble due to low price point and the fact that I can't find any other airline that has nonstops to Orlando. 10 hours on a nonstop vs 20+ hours with layovers...enough said. 

1 hour ago, CruisingNole said:

We are doing a TA to Barcelona to April/May and flying a nonstop out of Paris to Orlando, $300pp on Norwegian, checked bags and food included. I've heard mixed reviews of Norwegian but willing to take the gamble due to low price point and the fact that I can't find any other airline that has nonstops to Orlando. 10 hours on a nonstop vs 20+ hours with layovers...enough said. 

Our flight through JFK to Copenhagen is 13 hours with a layover. 

Luckily no JFK immigration on the outbound flight. 😁

Two 70 pound checked bags each. 😎

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Didn’t Norwegian just fold?

We are planning a London trip in the summer of 2019.  The cruise is already expensive and if the airfare doesn’t come down we may cancel the whole thing.  We have till March to decide and even have a back up cruise booked just in case.  Airfare right now seems crazy.

No Norwegian certainly have not folded!  They are expanding and now even fly to Singapore from London. They fly to several USA cities.

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Research, research, research.

Friends don't let friends fly Norwegian. 😉

They have a direct from Copenhagen to Orlando in a 787.  Sounds promising, right.  I won't risk it.  To many risks of cancellation and delay.

Or so I've read. 

JMHO

I flew with them back from NY and they were fine. Brand new planes ✈️ and I was on time.

01CBAD4D-B8BF-40CC-9E9F-79AC1588C649.png

Edited by little britain

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Our flight through JFK to Copenhagen is 13 hours with a layover. 

Luckily no JFK immigration on the outbound flight. 😁

Two 70 pound checked bags each. 😎

Our May flight from Copenhagen to Orlando via Amsterdam is also 13 hours with a brief layover.   Our December flight from Orlando to Venice via Amsterdam is about the same.  I don't think I would ever book a 20 hour flight to Europe.

6 hours ago, little britain said:

No Norwegian certainly have not folded!  They are expanding and now even fly to Singapore from London. They fly to several USA cities.

I flew with them back from NY and they were fine. Brand new planes ✈️ and I was on time.

01CBAD4D-B8BF-40CC-9E9F-79AC1588C649.png

I'm quite sure there are thousands of positive experiences.  I was just referring to a limited fleet with known engine maintenance issues.  Also, no legacy airline will accept their tickets in case of an issue. Or so I've read.

I am in London now. My husband and I flew Norwegian to Gatwick Premium Class.

We enjoyed the flight. The Dreamliner is a nice plane.

Also, that $678  Business Class flight booked by phone wih Air2Sea was last week.

Edited by TIBTEE