Alaska 2019 Amsterdam Unique Itinerary

Andi Land

In 2019 the Amsterdam is doing a one off unique itinerary:  Round trip Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Cruising Tracy Arm.  This is a one time cruise in July.  I've been to Sitka 4 times now but not Skagway.  Is it worth missing one of the glaciers to go through Tracy Arm?  I haven't been up Tracy Arm on any past cruises but have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  All opinions welcome, please.  I've posted here rather than the Alaska board since the ship being the smaller Amsterdam may have some impact on whether or not this unique itinerary is a good choice.

Thanks!

Tracy Arm Fjord with Sawyer Glacier and South Sawyer Glacier at its end, is certainly worth a nice visit incl. the fjord's entry and passage itself which is narrow with high mountains on both sides incl. waterfalls. Be advised however, that Tracy Arm frequently has drift ice known as "brash ice" inside towards the end which will make your captain decide that it is not safe to make it work. In that case, he will make a right upon entering Holkham Bay from Stephens Passage, and will visit Endicott Arm Fjord instead in order to visit Dawes Glacier. Having said that, July is better than May and June for visiting Tracy Arm. A decision to enter either Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm is usually made after the two South East Alaska pilots board the ship in Frederick Sound off Kake

THE STUNNING SCENERY OF ENDICOTT ARM FJORD ALASKA | www.AfterOrangeCounty.com

Image result for Hokkam Bay and Endicott ARm Fjord

• Like 1

I'm going to suggest that you NOT do this but instead travel a little bit further to Vancouver and board either the Volendam or Nieuw Amsterdam.  You will visit pretty much the same ports as this cruise and Glacier Bay as but will have a bit less time in Juneau.  As you approach Juneau the ship will pause at the entrance to Tracy Arm and a small boat will rendezvous with the ship for a tour deep up into either Tracy Arm or Endicott arm.  You will go DEEP into the fjord(when we were there we got about a half mile closer to the glaciers than even 100-passenger mini cruise ships.  You will be delivered to your ship in Juneau about 4PM and will be in port until about 9.

These are the only ships that offer this tour as they also serve people who disembark in Skagway for a Yukon-Denali land tour and for those disembarking that is the only glacier viewing opportunity.

When I am cruising I usually write one blog post per day but on the day I took this tour I did 3 posts with 2 devoted entirely to this fabulous tour and about half of the 3rd post as well.

A truly outstanding tour plus Skagway is to me a don't miss port.

Roy

• Like 1

Since you have already been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, I definitely recommend taking a cruise that includes Tracy Arm instead.
Now understand the focus is much, much different. Glacier Bay and Hubbard are impressive because of their glaciers, and the scenery is marvelous. Tracy Arm is an experience in scenery, and there is a glacier at the end.

Having said that, I agree with Roy. If you want a ship the size of the Amsterdam, take the Volendam and the Tracy Arm catamaran shore excursion. From the catamaran you will get a much different perspective, being so close to water level. You will feel dwarfed by the glacier, especially when you see even smaller boats closer to it than you are.

If the cruise out of Vancouver is out of the question, then yes, try the Amsterdam and Tracy Arm for a different experience than you have had before.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

Thank you Copper, Roy, and Ruth. I have taken your advice and booked the Volendam for August. Both Seattle and Vancouver are driving distance for us so either port is great. 

Awesome!  I think you booked a great experience.

Roy

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

Thank you Copper, Roy, and Ruth. I have taken your advice and booked the Volendam for August. Both Seattle and Vancouver are driving distance for us so either port is great. 

Andi, what time in August is your cruise? I'm asking because several years ago that tour's provider, Allen Marine, stopped doing the tour in the latter part of August. If you want to be sure the tour will be offered on your cruise, e-mail Allen Marine and ask.

43 minutes ago, Cruise_More_Often said:

Andi, what time in August is your cruise? I'm asking because several years ago that tour's provider, Allen Marine, stopped doing the tour in the latter part of August. If you want to be sure the tour will be offered on your cruise, e-mail Allen Marine and ask.

Great info! I booked for August 28. I’ll email them for more details. Thank you. 

I'm planning on sailing on this Amsterdam itinerary.  We have been to skagway before and it has a good playground for the kids and I love how there are some great hiking trails right off the ship.  In my opinion, Tracy Arm edges out Glacier Bay because its quite tight and narrow, very similar to a fjord.  THe other nice thing about it is that even when the weather is bad, its just as impressive - which is hard to say about glacier bay if you can barely see the glaciers.  We chose this itinerary mostly for the ship - the alternative was on the Star Princess wich is a good ship, but based on our constraints with some folks in our group not having passports, we had to go roundtrip from Seattle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Glad you changed your mind on what cruise to take.

Leaving on a Wednesday puts you in the ports on the weekend when there are fewer people.

I hadn’t even considered that aspect of it. Yes, I’m happy we decided on the Volendam. I think that itinerary gives us the best of both worlds as Roy pointed out. It’s about a 5 hour drive to Vancouver for us so it’s not too bad. 

On 10/23/2018 at 12:38 PM, RuthC said:

Since you have already been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, I definitely recommend taking a cruise that includes Tracy Arm instead.
Now understand the focus is much, much different. Glacier Bay and Hubbard are impressive because of their glaciers, and the scenery is marvelous. Tracy Arm is an experience in scenery, and there is a glacier at the end.

Well said. Having been there 5 times I absolutely agree. Back when I was a travel agent I would tell people "If Alaska is a one and done destination - Glacier Bay. If you'll likely go every so often, pick a different one each time."