Maui beach reccomendations

PEMCO007

Sorry, my mistake we have changed our plans, it is Kaui I am looking for.  I believe Princess dock at Nawiliwili.  Just restrooms really and somewhere for a drink.  We would probably get a taxi.

Thank you x

2 hours ago, PEMCO007 said:

Sorry, my mistake we have changed our plans, it is Kaui I am looking for.  I believe Princess dock at Nawiliwili.  Just restrooms really and somewhere for a drink.  We would probably get a taxi.

Thank you x

We were on POA and docked at Nawiliwili. The Kauai Marriott Resort and beach is a short walk (10 mins max).  There are shops nearby as well.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, Beachiekeen said:

The beach by the Marriott is the obvious choice although Poipu beach about 25 minutes away is where I would want to go.

How far would we need to travel for Poipu? what makes this your choice? I would rather go away from the masses, although hard i know when cruising x

It would be about a 25-minute/14 mile drive I think to get there.  I just think it's a nicer beach in general but it can get crowded from what I have read.  The beach by the Marriott would be fine and easier.

Poipu:  https://www.to-hawaii.com/kauai/beaches/poipu-beach-park.php

Kalapaki:  https://www.to-hawaii.com/kauai/beaches/kalapakibeach.php

Edited by Beachiekeen

Hawaii day passes are always hit or miss.  I've seen reports of $50 day passes but I would just call and ask.  Often if they do them, it's on a case by case basis depending on occupancy.  The beach, Duke's, beach rentals, etc. are for anyone.  There appears to be rental shacks on both beaches.

The Aqua Kauai Beach Resort does offer a day pass through Resort for a Day but I don't know much about it.  Looks to be less than 5 miles from the pier.  Might want to take a look at that.

https://www.kauaibeachresorthawaii.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beach chairs (sun loungers) aren't really a thing on Hawaiian beaches. All beaches are public, so very few hotels even have them put out actually on the sand.

Kalapaki Beach (Nawilili Harbor) is great, but no beach chairs and neither does Poipu Beach. I don't know of any hotels in Lihue or Poipu that offer day rates. Some in Kapa'a might, but most of Kapa'a beaches are unswimmable.

Kauai has less beach real estate than any of the other islands. I see that you are visiting in December too. That's Kauai's rainiest month. I'd recommend making plans to do something other than the beach. If you must go to the beach, go to Poipu. If you are going in early December, it won't be too crowded, but it will be extremely crowded around Christmas and New Year's. 

Hawaii isn't like the Caribbean, as far as beaches go.  All beaches are "public", but they don't generally do "day passes"...so you will almost always be on a towel....you are free to buy food/drinks at any establishment....but their loungers are for their guests.  

Lydgate Beach Park (Kauai) is 5 miles north of the ship's docking area at Nawiliwili.  It is too far to be walkable, but it's the best beach for children.  The swimming area is sheltered and the beach is clean.  There are facilities, walking paths, playground equipment, and a large enough parking lot so it doesn't get overcrowded.  I think there is a snack bar, too. We have stayed near this park on land-based vacations and have enjoyed its walking paths.

Here's the TripAdvisor link so you can read the reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1865930-d1991097-Reviews-Lydgate_State_Park-Wailua_Kauai_Hawaii.html

Thank you, I appreciate it will be very different to the Caribbean, we dock on Christmas and hubby has put his foot down about us doing any trips so i figured a beach day would be the best bet with u doing 10 sea days another day onboard might be too much.  We are only planning a few hrs so we should be able to cope without loungers x

• 2 months later...

We always buy some beach chairs (aka soccer chairs) prior to boarding the cruise ship (in whichever town we start), so this time it will be in Honolulu, and then take them to all the beaches we hit.   Easy!!  All beaches are public so you can simply plop down your chair and play in the water.