Median Age of Passengers on QM2 and Young Adults

maureenmj

We are considering a Christmas trip from NY to Carribean for 12 nights.  We have our 18 year old son who would travel with us.  Myself and my husband are 58 and 61 respectively.  Are there passengers our age or is everyone older and would my 18 year old be bored?

thank you.

60 might be a good median age. I've been cruising on QM2 since I was 52 and at that time I felt clearly younger than the average passenger. There will be passengers noticeably younger and older than you.

If your son is outgoing there will be plenty of activities for him to enjoy - I'm assuming he'll be more interested in the "adult" activities such as lectures or sports competitions on deck (shuffleboard, quoits, golf simulator) rather than the teen activities.

The drinking age on all Cunard itineraries is 18 when the ship is outside of US waters, just FYI.

Edited by Underwatr

I should add - we'll be on the 12 night NY to NY itinerary for the 7th consecutive year this year, so if you have any questions, ask away. I have daily schedules from most of the trips so I should be able to answer questions about sea and shore activities.

Thank you!  Since you have been doing this cruise for so many years, are there other young people his age on board?  I know he will do the fitness center and play basketball, but are there others that he can hang with?

I'm going to say yes? But I don't look for them so I can't tell you where they'd hang out. There's a table tennis table or two on Dec 12 by the midships pool, but I think the kids that hang out there are somewhat younger. I think he'll run into many people a couple years older or younger than him. There definitely are families aboard with children in that age range.

I mean, if he wants a quiet study period then it would be ideal.

Any 18 year-old aboard the QM2 will want to be comfortable relaxing with his own company. There are inevitably a handful of younger folks aboard, but not many. Nor are the activities geared to that demographic.

For instance, there are no basketball courts, but if he likes shuffleboard then he's in luck!

3 hours ago, maureenmj said:

We are considering a Christmas trip from NY to Carribean for 12 nights.  We have our 18 year old son who would travel with us.  Myself and my husband are 58 and 61 respectively.  Are there passengers our age or is everyone older and would my 18 year old be bored?

thank you.

With the Christmas cruise your son has a shot at a few other teens being on board. As to age, it is just a number. Two years ago on the back to back TA just before the Christmas cruise a bunch of us youngsters closed the G2 disco several nights (ages 75 - 83)

I've done a lot of "Q" cruising  ( & feel very lucky .) I don't think I've even seen anyone  in the 18 age range, although 'Xmas time' cruising is not what I've ever done. 

All the "Q" are fantastic, but from the perspective of teens / kids..... I'm not so sure.

We have done 6 cruises on the QM2 since we were in our 40's. We still feel young on the cruise. There are only a handful of people below 25 except staff. The average age on the last 2 cruises was over 70, however it it easy to slip into a group of like minded people of any age.

• Like 1

On one of my 8 crossings when my 25 year old son accompanied me, there were "young persons" get togethers every day, with a suggested age range 18-25. My son quickly made new friends and I hardly ever saw him apart from meal times.

On another occasion, there were 350 under 18's on board, and the captain put on a children's cocktail party one afternoon with sticky buns and soft drinks.

I'm quite certain your 18 year old will thoroughly enjoy the experience and get hooked.

Stewart

We have been on many Christmas cruises.   They do attract a different group of passenger than regular 14 day cruises.   There will be no shortages of teenagers and college aged young men and women.    Back in the day, as young adults, we had more fun than the adults could have imagined.   It was great meeting contemporaries who were from different colleges, cities and countries,

Be mindful that the QM2 does not have the bells and whistles of Royal, Disney or NCL and will always be more elegant.  No wave riders, ice scaring rinks, circuses or anything goes evenings.

We first went on Cunard when I was 40 and Mrs Toad was 32 and we expected that we would be the youngest on board. And we were almost the youngest, but not quite - there was one younger couple as I recall from Spain.

On our last but one cruise we met a couple that were in their very early 20s and they said they had really enjoyed it.

On a TA a few years ago there were a lot of children (as in grown up children) around late teens. They flocked together. It was like watching The Invasion of the Body Snatchers - they walked around the ship in a group and the group got bigger and bigger. If you've seen the film you will understand what I mean !  

• Like 1