Newark to Port Liberty

Alan Jenkins

We are flying from London a couple of days before departure, and looking for advice on hotels. Should we stay around the airport and get a cab to the port or get a cab and hotel closer to the port?

What is the distance from Newark Airport to Port Liberty?

Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, Alan Jenkins said:

We are flying from London a couple of days before departure, and looking for advice on hotels. Should we stay around the airport and get a cab to the port or get a cab and hotel closer to the port?

What is the distance from Newark Airport to Port Liberty?

Thanks in advance.

What are your exact dates?  Hotel budget?  Two people? Bed size requirements?  What are your sightseeing plans for NYC?

There are no hotels closer than 8 miles to the port, so being "close to the port" is not a consideration.  The important factors are when you are doing this, how much you are willing to spend, and what you want to do for a couple of days.  Convenient access to inexpensive public transit could be the key for you and the Airport hotels would not offer this.

This would be for the 2 nights from 26th June. 2019.

A decent hotel, with king size bed, clean sheets and a bar, possibly with shops and restaurants within walking distance, is what we are looking for. Somewhere to get into cruise mode.

We have been to NYC many times, so not planning a visit across the river.

26 minutes ago, Alan Jenkins said:

This would be for the 2 nights from 26th June. 2019.

A decent hotel, with king size bed, clean sheets and a bar, possibly with shops and restaurants within walking distance, is what we are looking for. Somewhere to get into cruise mode.

We have been to NYC many times, so not planning a visit across the river.

How much are you willing to spend on a hotel?  You need a hotel on a Wed and Thur night which means you are looking at the more expensive business travel rates.  Ideally you would be very happy in Jersey City by the waterfront.  Candlewood Suites is $222 plus tax, but only offers queen beds.  Other hotels in that area are even more.  Newport Mall would be the shopping.

At Newark Airport only the hotels on International Blvd are near the Jersey Gardens Mall and have access to basically chain restaurants.  How important is shopping to you?  Another option is to get a hotel at Harmon Meadows in Secaucus, NJ, and pay for a Uber from the airport to there and then back to Cape Liberty.  http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

What is your hotel budget?  That's a big factor.  Also many hotels do not have a bar.  Country Inns in Elizabeth is offering a king bed plus round trip port transportation for 2 for $289 plus tax.  No bar, but Ruby Tuesdays next door has bar service.

• 2 weeks later...

I can highly recommend Hyatt on the Hudson. The views of NYC from there were outstanding. Has a bar. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. You are going when the weather should be terrific for strolling the boardwalk. Adjacent to PATH if you change your mind about going into the Manhattan. There is also a water taxi shuttle that will cross the Hudson river and drop you off right next to One Tower. IMO, the Jersey side of the Hudson is a hidden gem for cruisers.  The Hyatt is very costly, but an absolutely lovely way to start vacation. 

• Like 2

Another possibility might be the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth. It is about a block from the Ruby Tuesday referenced in post #6.  Rates include a full breakfast, it has a bar, and is about five minute walk to a shopping center (The Mills at Jersey Gardens).  We stayed there last fall pre-cruise and also again this past June -- also pre-cruise.  

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Another possibility might be the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth. It is about a block from the Ruby Tuesday referenced in post #6.  Rates include a full breakfast, it has a bar, and is about five minute walk to a shopping center (The Mills at Jersey Gardens).  We stayed there last fall pre-cruise and also again this past June -- also pre-cruise.  

Do they offer shuttles to/from airport and pier?   We stayed at the Country Inn last time and they treated us very well, but this sounds like another good option, especially since we can use Hilton points.   

3 hours ago, Kartgv said:

Do they offer shuttles to/from airport and pier?   We stayed at the Country Inn last time and they treated us very well, but this sounds like another good option, especially since we can use Hilton points.   

Embassy Suites has a free shuttle between the airport and the hotel and offers a port shuttle for $20/pp each way. 

17 hours ago, Kartgv said:

As 138east has already noted the Embassy Suites has a no additional fee airport shuttle.  

They use a contractor to offer shuttle service to the port.  Just sign up when you check into the hotel.  Both times we stayed at the Embassy Suites we purchased a one-way shuttle, but it seems to me that if you purchase a round-trip shuttle ticket the price is a little less.  

This past summer we used Dial 7 car service to pick us up at Cape Liberty and transfer us to the Newark airport.  We had considered Dial 7 to pick us up at the ES and transfer us to the pier, but it seems to me that Dial 7 was more expensive in that case than the shuttle service purchased through the ES.  But if you have more than two people Dial 7 may be another option.

• 2 months later...

There is also Courtyard, Spring Hill, and Residence Inn in Elizabeth near Jersey Gardens Mall. Courtyard has a bar. Friends of mine just stayed at Residence Inn, but walked next door to Courtyard to use their bar.

you can get Uber or Lyft to the port, it’s only about 5 miles.

9 hours ago, counsdr said:

There is also Courtyard, Spring Hill, and Residence Inn in Elizabeth near Jersey Gardens Mall. Courtyard has a bar. Friends of mine just stayed at Residence Inn, but walked next door to Courtyard to use their bar.

you can get Uber or Lyft to the port, it’s only about 5 miles.

Hi there counsdr - I know we know each other, but I’ve forgotten your first name.  I need to be picky here.  Courtyard Elizabeth and Residence Inn are at the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Courtyard Newark and Springhill Suites are on the north side of the airport in an enclave that also includes Fairfield Inn and the new Home2Suites.  In order to be near Jersey Gardens Mall, you must pick a hotel on International Blvd, Elizabeth.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 11:45 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can highly recommend Hyatt on the Hudson. The views of NYC from there were outstanding. Has a bar. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. You are going when the weather should be terrific for strolling the boardwalk. Adjacent to PATH if you change your mind about going into the Manhattan. There is also a water taxi shuttle that will cross the Hudson river and drop you off right next to One Tower. IMO, the Jersey side of the Hudson is a hidden gem for cruisers.  The Hyatt is very costly, but an absolutely lovely way to start vacation. 

100% agree.  This was the best decision I made last August.  We thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful  hotel and the area.  We stayed one night pre-cruise.  Called an Uber the next morning, and he was already sitting outside waiting for fare.  Easy and convenient.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have thoughts on staying at the Hilton Newark Airport?  I have the Embassy Suites booked right now but the Hilton Newark Airport is about $50 cheaper and has a restaurant on site.  We are flying in the night before our cruise on October 23rd and just need a place to crash and have dinner.  

14 minutes ago, TamaLee said:

Does anyone have thoughts on staying at the Hilton Newark Airport?  I have the Embassy Suites booked right now but the Hilton Newark Airport is about $50 cheaper and has a restaurant on site.  We are flying in the night before our cruise on October 23rd and just need a place to crash and have dinner.  

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.  $50 is $50.  If you like Hilton’s, you might want to look at the Doubletree, which is showing at $148 plus tax.  This hotel has been recently renovated and has a restaurant on site.  It is also one of the closest airport hotels to the port with direct access to the turnpike spur to Cape Liberty at exit 14.

• Like 1

I actually choose the doubletree Hilton Newark airport. They do offer a shuttle to. Cape liberty but I wAs quoted $30pp which is high. Lyft and Uber are showing less than $20 for this location. Hotel has been entirely remodeled. I’ll let you know how it works out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I actually choose the doubletree Hilton Newark airport. They do offer a shuttle to. Cape liberty but I wAs quoted $30pp which is high. Lyft and Uber are showing less than $20 for this location. Hotel has been entirely remodeled. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Please do come back and review.  I stayed there many years ago when it was a Sheraton.  Look at the pictures on their web site.  The lobby has been completely updated and modernized and they kept the lobby pool.  It looks really nice. 

4 hours ago, 138east said:

Please do come back and review.  I stayed there many years ago when it was a Sheraton.  Look at the pictures on their web site.  The lobby has been completely updated and modernized and they kept the lobby pool.  It looks really nice. 

I will! It’s the least i can do- you have been extremely helpful for both of my trips through Newark 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

We just booked to stay there! Looking forward to your thoughts! Have a good trip. 

On 10/23/2018 at 5:29 PM, 138east said:

What are your exact dates?  Hotel budget?  Two people? Bed size requirements?  What are your sightseeing plans for NYC?

There are no hotels closer than 8 miles to the port, so being "close to the port" is not a consideration.  The important factors are when you are doing this, how much you are willing to spend, and what you want to do for a couple of days.  Convenient access to inexpensive public transit could be the key for you and the Airport hotels would not offer this.

I’m looking at hotels near the port and hotels.com has probably 20 hotels within 8 miles of the port.  

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m looking at hotels near the port and hotels.com has probably 20 hotels within 8 miles of the port.  

I looked at hotels.com. Many of their hotels were in Brooklyn!!!  These hotels may be less than 8 miles as the crow flies directly across NY harbor, but not by road. Even some NJ hotels that we would consider recommending show on that site as 3-4 miles, but the reality is that by road they are more than 8 miles. Just to get to Cape Liberty from route 440 is 2 miles. sellwingri - if this is how you’re picking a hotel, please run your options by this forum. For example the one hotel/motel in Bayonne is not somewhere you would want to stay - it’s a cheap hotel in a highly urban area that no one is going to recommend for your precruise stay. Please trust us on this one. Sailing from Bayonne is totally different from sailing from Florida. 

• Like 1

My family ( approx 30) will be both flying and driving for a cruise July 13 this year.  Planning on staying in a hotel one day precruise on July 12.  We are in need of a clean, comfortable, safe affordable hotel ( $ 150)for one night.  Hoping close to restaurants and activity to pass the time.  I noticed Newark Liberty International Marriott is very affordable.  How far is this hotel from International Blvd in Elizabeth?  Some will drive and park at the port others will catch a lyft or uber.  Any ideas how much a lyft or uber would be to the port?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.