To Excursion or Not to Excursion in the ABC's

robptaylor

First time visiting the ABC Islands and looking for suggestions on which islands to book excursions and which to just "tour the town". 

On a recent cruise we booked excursions for every port and frankly found it EXHAUSTING.  In the past we usually booked one or two excursions and save the other ports for doing our own thing, e.g., walking the town, renting a scooter/car, etc.

Which of the ABC's is best for just doing your own thing and which should you go with an excursion/group?  In other words, which ports have plenty to do on your own and which do you need to "get away" to experience the island?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob -

It really depends of what you like to do - if you snorkel or scuba dive, I would say book an excursion for that in Bonaire.  We used Woodwind a few years ago and we highly impressed with them for a snorkeling trip.

Aruba is easy to do on your own - there is shopping right outside the port or easy to take the bus to the beach.

Curacao is the biggest island of the 3 islands.  If you want to see the beautiful beaches, you will need to rent a car or take an excursion as taxis are a bit on the expensive side here. For a different type of excursion that will be private and will customize to what you want, check out Back to Nature Private Jeep Tours - please tell them Bridget M. sent you (I don't work for them but absolutely one of the best tours I have taken and I live on the island!).

Our downtown area consists of Otrobanda and Punda.  There is alot of architecture, street art, shopping, etc. in both.  If you are into the history, here is a link to a thread on here with walking tours (self guided) of both.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, bup1224 said:

Rob -

It really depends of what you like to do - if you snorkel or scuba dive, I would say book an excursion for that in Bonaire.  We used Woodwind a few years ago and we highly impressed with them for a snorkeling trip.

Aruba is easy to do on your own - there is shopping right outside the port or easy to take the bus to the beach.

Curacao is the biggest island of the 3 islands.  If you want to see the beautiful beaches, you will need to rent a car or take an excursion as taxis are a bit on the expensive side here. For a different type of excursion that will be private and will customize to what you want, check out Back to Nature Private Jeep Tours - please tell them Bridget M. sent you (I don't work for them but absolutely one of the best tours I have taken and I live on the island!).

Our downtown area consists of Otrobanda and Punda.  There is alot of architecture, street art, shopping, etc. in both.  If you are into the history, here is a link to a thread on here with walking tours (self guided) of both.

Hi Bridget,  Do you know if B2B will pick us up at the pier?

1 minute ago, onthegogirl said:

Hi Bridget,  Do you know if B2B will pick us up at the pier?

Yes they will!  Please make sure to tell Gina that Bridget M. sent you - I don't work for them but I love them! (if you don't mind - what's your first name?)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, bup1224 said:

Rob -

Thank you for this great recommendation for Back2Nature! I assume it would be appropriate to tip after the tour? 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, HeyNowMama1315 said:

Just from playing around on their website a bit, I'm assuming this company and their tours are better suited for adults than families. Would you agree?

I actually would not agree. I have seen many pictures of families on their tour. They have a new owner who is just as good as the previous owner IMO. 

Again, they will customize the tour based on what you want so what you read on the website is basically a guideline so to speak.

I live here and honestly can say this was one of my favorite tours I have done here and am planning on doing another one with them.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:00 AM, agibeault said:

Ok thanks! My husband usually handles this as I always feel awkward handing someone cash 🤣 Unfortuntately he isn't coming so I must brave up.

I travel alone. When you get off the bus and say goodbye, simply hand them the cash and thank them very much. You'll do great!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, bup1224 said:

Rob -

Another person reading this older thread!

We just emailed B2N hoping to get a tour on 5/9/19. Everyone here was so helpful with info and reviews! Thank you!

Anyone with a new review?

18 hours ago, babchia said:

We just emailed B2N hoping to get a tour on 5/9/19. Everyone here was so helpful with info and reviews! Thank you!

Anyone with a new review?

😥They are booked up! Now trying to figure out what to do? We really liked the idea of a "custom" tour. Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, babchia said:

😥They are booked up! Now trying to figure out what to do? We really liked the idea of a "custom" tour. Any suggestions?

Similar company here is "Let Lucy Handle it".