Walking to Cruise Terminal in Galveston

Nadersmom

We are cruising in November of 2019 and while I know it's too early to book a hotel, I'm trying to research ahead of time where we want to stay pre cruise.   We'll be flying in, most likely to Hobby and get transport to Galveston.  I'm figuring that we'll be required to do a 2 night stay at most places as we'll be cruising on a Monday so coming  in on the weekend.

I know that Harbor House is right next to the Port and when I called, she said that they do have a shuttle, but many people choose to walk the 1 block to the terminal.   Actually, she said terminal 1 is about a block away. Terminal 2 is about 5 blocks.      Has anyone walked this?   Is it truly an easy walk with rolling suitcases or is it simply wiser to take the shuttle?

I know nothing about Galveston.   I've read on here that there is a ton to do that's within walking distance of both the Strand and Seaway.   I'm uncertain if we should stay in the Strand area or the Seawall area by the beach.    I'm sure there are hotels in Seawall area that have a free shuttle to port.    If not,   I keep reading that cab fare within Galveston is high?     Is there more to do in one area than the other?   Are the hotels cheaper in one area vs the other?  

Sorry for all the questions.    :classic_unsure:   I just know nothing about the area.   the cruise is a ways off yet but, what can I say...…..I'm a planner who likes to have it all taken care of ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it closer to the cruise  LOL  

Many thanks!

Edited by Nadersmom

We are cruising in November of 2019 and while I know it's too early to book a hotel, I'm trying to research ahead of time where we want to stay pre cruise.   We'll be flying in, most likely to Hobby and get transport to Galveston.  I'm figuring that we'll be required to do a 2 night stay at most places as we'll be cruising on a Monday so coming  in on the weekend.

Response:

A 2 night stay will be good for much to do.

First weekend  in November is Lone Star Bike Rally .  lonestarrally.com/

I know that Harbor House is right next to the Port and when I called, she said that they do have a shuttle, but many people choose to walk the 1 block to the terminal.   Actually, she said terminal 1 is about a block away. Terminal 2 is about 5 blocks.      Has anyone walked this?   Is it truly an easy walk with rolling suitcases or is it simply wiser to take the shuttle?

Response

Only two hotels near Port Terminals

Harbor House and Tremont - both operated by same as Galvez

Correct info on walks distances. It can be easy walk. It's all relative to you and extent of luggage. You can make decision after being there. 

Main areas to stay in Galveston
On the Gulf (Seawall)(many motels and hotels)
On the Bay (Moody Gardens Hotel))
Downtown Old Town Historic District by Port – Only (Harbor House and Tremont)
On highway coming into town(few)

I know nothing about Galveston.   I've read on here that there is a ton to do that's within walking distance of both the Strand and Seaway.   I'm uncertain if we should stay in the Strand area or the Seawall area by the beach.    I'm sure there are hotels in Seawall area that have a free shuttle to port.    If not,   I keep reading that cab fare within Galveston is high?     Is there more to do in one area than the other?   Are the hotels cheaper in one area vs the other?  

Response for beginning:

galveston.com

galvestonhistory.org

moodygardens.com

galveston.com/cvb/

pier21.com

bryanmuseum.com

Sorry for all the questions.       I just know nothing about the area.   the cruise is a ways off yet but, what can I say...…..I'm a planner who likes to have it all taken care of ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it closer to the cruise  LOL  

Edited by ssb

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, mistshar said:

Usually, you can book about a year out and the rates are usually the best then too.  Hope you have a great cruise!

Thank  you so much Carol!    Going to look at a few places, but Harbor House seems to get pretty good reviews and if we are close to shopping and restaurants, AND walking distance to port, it seems like the perfect place to book.   I'll try checking when I get to the 1 year point.

Hoping the others in my party that are driving in find it appealing as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Vey walkable. We stayed at Harbor House with a water view and we watched the ship arrive before our cruise right out our window! That was so cool. It is very close to the terminal. We had driven ourselves and we parked at one of the parking lots and we walked from there. So the only issue is how many bags you have!!

2018-01-06 07.30.11.jpg

5 hours ago, shark&minnow said:

Vey walkable. We stayed at Harbor House with a water view and we watched the ship arrive before our cruise right out our window! That was so cool. It is very close to the terminal. We had driven ourselves and we parked at one of the parking lots and we walked from there. So the only issue is how many bags you have!!

2018-01-06 07.30.11.jpg

Wow!   Thanks so much for the response Shark&Minnow!    We will each have a rolling suitcase and maybe a carryon.  Can you tell me.....is it pretty obvious where you need to enter when you get to the terminal area?

9 minutes ago, Nadersmom said:

Wow!   Thanks so much for the response Shark&Minnow!    We will each have a rolling suitcase and maybe a carryon.  Can you tell me.....is it pretty obvious where you need to enter when you get to the terminal area?

Yes it is obvious with signage .

You can walk from Tremont also (about same distance) . Both hotels (operated by same) have same transfer service,   if weather is bad. 

Thank you SSB.   I appreciate that info because I was kind of wondering if Harbor House would shuttle over if there was bad weather considering how close they are to the terminal.

Now I just have to wait for the dates to open up so I can book!  :classic_smile: