Pirates Cove or Boatyard

buellblaster

Just wondering if someone has visited both of these for a day, and which would be better? My husband and I have our own snorkel equipment and would like to snorkel a shipwreck as well as snorkel with the turtles. I am not sure if the turtles are at a shipwreck. Can someone help?

We've only been to the Boatyard, and found comfortable loungers, adequate shade from the shared umbrella, good facilities, and the "free" drink as part of the admission fee was good (we preferred the "Shark Bite").  the water toys were fun as was jumping off the pier.  Only a few beach vendors trolling for customers - we were not bothered after a friendly wave & "no thanks."

The shipwreck is good to snorkel over, with lots of fish, and the area with the turtles (attracted by bait tossed from the boats) is separate, but not too far away.  I would opt to swim/snorkel early before too many other boats have fed the turtles.

Enjoy! :classic_cool:

We enjoyed our day at Pirate's Cove a few weeks ago.  Comfortable chairs, beautiful beach, great bar area with picnic tables and hammocks, live caribbean music playing softly in the background, Best rum punch of the week, delicious food.  We wouldn't hesitate to go back again.  We opted for just transportation, beach chair and umbrella rental thru Glory Tours but there was an option to add the snorkeling beforehand and at the beach once we got there.  A few of our group went on the 9 AM tour and loved it.  It lasted about 90 minutes to 2 hours.  They spoke very highly of it.  

Interestingly, we walked to Boatyard to get a drink at their bar, however they would not serve us because we were not spending the day there.  I thought that was kind of strange because they place was not crowded at all.  It was early in the day.  We wanted to check out their restaurant and thought we might even eat there but their loss.  

This is one of my most favorite beach spots.....Hope this helps....

• Haha 1

We went to Boatyard in September. It. Was. Beautiful. We took the first snorkel boat out and saw lots of sea life including turtles,  puffer fish, a nurser shark, etc. I would make sure to go out as soon as possible. Food was ok. We had the loaded nachos. Drinks were great with lots of specials. 

We will return next time. 

Thanks for the info. Was also wondering if it rains, will the snorkel boats run? Our forecast for next week show 90% rain for Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. We were planning on snorkeling at all 3 stops.

Edited by buellblaster

buellblaster...I am assuming that is always the forecast.  That's how it is in Key West...always predicting rain in the hot/humid season...I wouldn't stress the forecast.   We will just be missing you...we will be there the next week

6 hours ago, buellblaster said:

Thanks for the info. Was also wondering if it rains, will the snorkel boats run? Our forecast for next week show 90% rain for Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. We were planning on snorkeling at all 3 stops.

Try not to stress about the weather.  As we set sail on Sat Oct 6 the captain announced that they were predicting bad weather for the entire week and we had perfect weather.  You can never tell in the Caribbean!!!  Have a wonderful cruise.  We loved all of those islands, in particular Barbados and Pirate's Cove.

16 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Thanks for the review and photos! :classic_cool:

I grew up in OKLA and have been to Cache - nice town!

Small world!! We moved to the “country” from Lawton. Cache has better schools, and we can still go to Lawton for necessities. And you’re welcome!

Edited by MeganGC1983

15 hours ago, buellblaster said:

We fought Tropical Storm Isaac in Sept. It actually poured on us that morning at the Boatyard and in St. Kitts, but it was only for 45 minutes at the most. We were very lucky. Everyone told us they were shocked our itinerary stayed the same, and school was even cancelled the day we were in St. Lucia because they KNEW it would be bad. Point being, things still happened. Once the rain stopped, they were rocking and rolling again. This is their lively hood. They wanna make money, they want you to have a good time, and if it is possible, you will snorkel. The main issue with us was the waves. The storm dissipated, but the seas were still choppy. 

I’m sure you will have a fabulous time!! 

• 2 weeks later...