Cruise Critic Community
CarolandNate

Fuerte Amador-Panama City

Fuerte Amador is where ships come in on the Pacific side. I assume you’ll be coming into Colon which is on the Caribbean side. The train leaves from there and goes to the city. The drive from the city to Colon is about 1 1/2 hrs, if all goes well. 

23 minutes ago, travelerchris said:

Fuerte Amador is where ships come in on the Pacific side. I assume you’ll be coming into Colon which is on the Caribbean side. The train leaves from there and goes to the city. The drive from the city to Colon is about 1 1/2 hrs, if all goes well. 

I kind of understand your response. But our ship will not be coming to the fort Amador area. We’re doing the partial transit.

Yes I understand the drive from the fort back to the ship in Colon  is 1.5 hours if all goes well.

My actual question is why are we going to Fort Amador and we’re spending 45 minutes there ?  What is there to do for 45 minutes?  There is no explanation on the tour of why we are traveling by bus to Fort Amador which takes 30 minutes from the time we get off the train. 

Thanks.

The ride to Ft. Amador is primarily scenic, gives you a great view of the Panama City Skyline, the Pacific entrance to the Canal and the various islands in the bay  At the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway there are lots of eateries and places to shop if you are not taking in the view.  As far as the trip back to Colon there is a pretty convenient local version of a Love's or Pilot service plaza about halfway that I'm sure could be used if needed.  The drive back to Colon should also offer somewhat an alternate view of the countryside that's different from what you saw on the train trip.

5 hours ago, BillB48 said:

The ride to Ft. Amador is primarily scenic, gives you a great view of the Panama City Skyline, the Pacific entrance to the Canal and the various islands in the bay  At the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway there are lots of eateries and places to shop if you are not taking in the view.  As far as the trip back to Colon there is a pretty convenient local version of a Love's or Pilot service plaza about halfway that I'm sure could be used if needed.  The drive back to Colon should also offer somewhat an alternate view of the countryside that's different from what you saw on the train trip.

So the 45 minutes that we stop at Fort Amador is to get off the bus to look at the scenery and hopefully use the bathroom/ facilities because the 1.5 hour bus ride back may not have those facilities.( the description says no restroom) Does not say we get or can stop at  a Love’s/ Pilot version on the way back to the ship. I know “ they” can’t describe everything,but ....... The tour description definitely doesn’t say that we can eat or shop at Ft. Amador for 45 min. 

By the way I believe after getting off the train, that Ft. Amador Is 30 minutes the opposite way of where we really need to go to get back to the ship, so that’s why I asked what’s in FA to see or do.

Thanks.

i guess so far “ people” that have been on this tour are not seeing my post?

i will try to do an in depth report once my cruise commences.

Julie

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

So the 45 minutes that we stop at Fort Amador is to get off the bus to look at the scenery and hopefully use the bathroom/ facilities because the 1.5 hour bus ride back may not have those facilities.( the description says no restroom) Does not say we get or can stop at  a Love’s/ Pilot version on the way back to the ship. I know “ they” can’t describe everything,but ....... The tour description definitely doesn’t say that we can eat or shop at Ft. Amador for 45 min. 

By the way I believe after getting off the train, that Ft. Amador Is 30 minutes the opposite way of where we really need to go to get back to the ship, so that’s why I asked what’s in FA to see or do.

Thanks.

i guess so far “ people” that have been on this tour are not seeing my post?

i will try to do an in depth report once my cruise commences.

Julie

I was last out to the islands at the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway a few months ago, although not part of an excursion.  With everything that is out there I would be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of public facilities available before you head back to the Atlantic side, but I can't' speak with any certainty.  I mentioned the service plaza on the road because I know it is a popular rest stop on the way to the Pacific side that the excursions utilize it frequently.

Ft. Amador and the causeway are in the opposite direction, but I think the trip out there is worth it.  Actually the causeway you drive on to the offshore islands was made from the spoils taken from Gaillard Cut during construction, so you will be ridding on some history😀.  I think if they spun you right around and sent you back to Colon it might seem like a rather short tour.

No, there probably not that many people seeing your questions that would be in a position to give any info.  This particular forum is mostly visited be people seeking information prior to their cruise and most of the time don't return to close the loop.  Maybe someone in your roll call may have taken the tour and can shed some light?  Don't want to add to your list of unknowns, but I am aware that sometimes they run this excursion in reverse order.  Let me offer you a tip on the better side of the train to sit.  Assuming the the train portion of the excursion will be Atlantic to Pacific, sit on the right side of the coach in the direction you will be heading.  The right side will provide best chances to see the Canal, which often times is in the distance. Of course if you go Pacific to Atlantic, then swap sides.  Don't worry, not many people will see this either!!

Edited by BillB48

Yes there are "facilities" in the building where the Duty Free and some of the restaurants are. I also think it's worth it to go to the end of Amador and see the islands,  the old base, and restaurants. I live in Panama. Like Bill B. says, I haven't taken the excursion either, so I'm not familiar with the excursion aspect. He is correct with the seating on the train. Coming from Colon to Amador sit on the right side of the train. If you sit on the left, you'll see mostly jungle. I hope you'll have a good time. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the information . I guess I will report back either in my review, a live from, or on this site once I have traveled what actually happens. I’m very through, I take notes as it happens.

As far as the roll call,it’s very quiet. I don’t think anyone has been on a Panama Canal Cruise, we are all first timers.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson