Countdown Clocks?

kakalina

7 minutes ago, kakalina said:

With this new ( and difficult to negotiate ) web site I can't find the place to change, or add countdown clocks to ones signature. Does anyone know if they have done away with this?

I think so.  :classic_sad:

Adding new Cruise Critic countdown clocks hasn't worked for me no matter what I have tried. Grandfathered in signatures still show them but any changes to a signature brings back an error message that the countdown clock is too large. That they broke our ability to use Cruise Critic's own clocks is yet another bit of nonsense in this new format. 

I wonder if the code that used to work can simply be pasted into the body of a message?

I also liked countdown clocks but some of the signatures had 3 clocks and 20 lines of past cruises along with other links and images. I think there was an intent to clean that up.

8 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Grandfathered in signatures still show them but any changes to a signature brings back an error message that the countdown clock is too large. 

Since the old ones posted before the change still work, the new system has the capabilities of showing longer signatures than the new rules allow.  So why have they gotten rid of the countdown clocks and the longer signatures?  

Trisha,  So good to see ya back on the boards.  I have reams of notes on your Hawaii and South Pacific adventures. You were instrumental in our booking the SP cruise twice.    Unfortunately we had to cancel both.  Then a little over a year ago I saw the Eurodam  (our favorite ship) was doing the SP in March 2019.  I couldn't get my deposit in fast enough.

To make matters even better;  I don't remember how it came about but because of you we met Rick and Connie aka G&G on the Eurodam in the Caribbean.  They were kind enough to invite us into their Signature Suite and we chatted for over an hour on their balcony.  They mentioned how much they enjoyed sailing with you and Virgil.  I was feeling like I've known all of you for years just by reading your sailing accounts.  Then I found out that G&G was on our Roll Call.  Small world.  He too is a wealth of information about the SP.

I'm sorry I can't help with the countdown clocks.  I'm CC challenged.

Safe travels, smooth seas (although I know how much you like moving floors) and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  AND good luck on the slots.

Warm Regards,

Tom & Jeri

14 hours ago, kakalina said:

With this new ( and difficult to negotiate ) web site I can't find the place to change, or add countdown clocks to ones signature. Does anyone know if they have done away with this?

19 minutes ago, Realblonde474 said:

Darn it...I hate that!  I loved my little countdown clock and also seeing all of the other cruises that posters have enjoyed in their signatures!

Please update/repair this feature!  

The countdown clocks are indeed gone.  At least for now.

You might want to visit the bugs and glitches thread and as the host there when or if they are goiing to be added back or if they can be?  She's quite good at answering and getting answers.

9 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

So why have they gotten rid of the countdown clocks and the longer signatures?  

While I certainly can't say for sure, I suspect that this recent change was driven by cost. Running a message board costs money. Some of that money pays for storage on servers. Some posts would have a one word reply followed by three pages of signature. The storage of signatures costs the board host money.

FWIW - They just recently increased the size of the images allowed in our signatures.  It's up to:

Maximum of 2 images Images up to 447 x 204 pixels - Maximum of 3 URLs - Maximum of 10 lines   I just added a countdown clock, so let's see if this works,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, High Flyer said:

Trisha,  So good to see ya back on the boards.  I have reams of notes on your Hawaii and South Pacific adventures. You were instrumental in our booking the SP cruise twice.    Unfortunately we had to cancel both.  Then a little over a year ago I saw the Eurodam  (our favorite ship) was doing the SP in March 2019.  I couldn't get my deposit in fast enough.

To make matters even better;  I don't remember how it came about but because of you we met Rick and Connie aka G&G on the Eurodam in the Caribbean.  They were kind enough to invite us into their Signature Suite and we chatted for over an hour on their balcony.  They mentioned how much they enjoyed sailing with you and Virgil.  I was feeling like I've known all of you for years just by reading your sailing accounts.  Then I found out that G&G was on our Roll Call.  Small world.  He too is a wealth of information about the SP.

I'm sorry I can't help with the countdown clocks.  I'm CC challenged.

Safe travels, smooth seas (although I know how much you like moving floors) and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  AND good luck on the slots.

Warm Regards,

Tom & Jeri

Good to hear from you and good to be back. It's hard for me to spend as much time here as I used to. Too many memories and they still hurt. Best to G&G when you see them.

Thanks everyone POA1 did a great post and I have added my clock.

Edited by kakalina
add a line.

• 2 weeks later...

Countdown clocks are indeed back. The signature length limit was a good idea. It's certainly possible to have a cd clock as well as a list of where you've been - you just need to think before putting all 900 cruises on separate lines.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Yank_in_TX said:

Where did you find the link to add them, I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website.

This is much more than a "format change", it's a wholesale replacement of the old VBulletin system. The new system allows old clocks to function, but I believe there is no way to generate new ones easily.

Edited by catl331

3 hours ago, catl331 said:

This is much more than a "format change", it's a wholesale replacement of the old VBulletin system. The new system allows old clocks to function, but I believe there is no way to generate new ones easily.

Just follow this link:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm

It's exactly the same as before.  Special note with an International Flair™: From what people have said, they've taken the Cold Fusion clock gen code down from the UK and AU Cruise Critics. However, people from outside the US and Canada have been able to use the .com (US) version without a problem.