20 September 2018 cruise

baljaffray

Travelled from Scotland, UK to Newark the day before, after the usual nearly 3 hours in Immigration (4 staff at 14.00), we caught the free hotel shuttle to The Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth. We dropped off our stuff and walked across the road to the Jersey Mills Mall, where we grabbed a bite to eat and looked around. Then an early night, as the time difference was taking effect! The hotel breakfast room was closed for refurb, so it was total chaos getting food, in a tiny area of the lobby, but otherwise an adequate overnight. We booked an Uber at 10.30, this cost 19 USD (hotel shuttle 17.50 plus tax PP!)

Check-in smooth, we had printed our sail pass, but hadn’t uploaded the photo which took 2 mins, and all aboard by 11.45.

Quick look round ship, and very impressed. Cabin’s ready at usual time, and suitcases in corridor, which we wheeled along ourselves.  We stayed in 12656, sofa at balcony, which we prefer. The room was not up to my standard of cleanliness, dusty shelves in bathroom, hairs in shower, earplugs under bed, lamps dusty…… I do wish they did a longer turnaround to ensure better cleaning, but anyway, I gave it a wipe round myself. I noted on debarkation day a squad of people in white t-shirts clearing the rooms, so not sure if they are brought on for this purpose, but our room attendant was very friendly, and kept things ticking over.

We bought a drinks package prior when it was on sale at $39. It was sold on board at $57. There was a flyer in our room stating you could buy drinks up to $12, but most ‘cocktails’ were $13 and we were never charged extra. We also used for Johnny Rockets milk shakes, and speciality coffees, my husband had a few Irish coffees too. We also used for fresh Orange juice every morning and bottled water for the room and port days. I would say I would only buy the package if sold at that price approx., as some days, we did not use the value.

I pre-booked shows- The Gift, We will Rock You (the best one), and Spectre (in Two70). We also enjoyed Landry the Comedian, and Travis the singer.  Cruise Director Dennis grew on me!

We enjoyed Schooner bar most evenings where we enjoyed Jafar on the Piano as well as other musicians.

Dining- We booked My Time, as enjoyed this on Eclipse and were seated within minutes, but this system on Anthem was terrible. We pre-booked the first night prior to sailing, and when we arrived (Icon and Silk) there was long lines. One line=reservations, other line= no reservation, other line= reserved but early or late! We were told it would be delayed. The manager from Jamie’s Italian was approaching people and offering a 2 for 1 deal, so we just went there, and had a great meal. The dining lines did not improve much over the cruise, and we tended not to reserve a time, as we had a lot of port days, and the average wait was 15-20 minutes. Otherwise food good, service so so.

Windjammer- usual nightmare for tables, food never hot, only warm, and this was mentioned by others. The food was good though with plenty choices. Only hot food was when it was made to order!

Two 70-   A great venue for everything, love the windows, comfy seats, and ideal for breakfasts/lunches/ coffees without the chaos.

Solarium Bistro- only had a small bite here but seemed nice.

Activities-

Pre-booked The North Star, which we did on a port day, also pre-booked I-Fly. This was great fun, though you only get 1-minute flying (it is timed) The weight limit is strict, and everyone gets weighed. I asked if I could book again, as the Royal app won’t let you book again. They said to come in person on the last few days. I managed to get another turn and loved it! We also did The Bumper Cars and played Pool. We also enjoyed the Solarium whirlpools, it’s a lovely area.

Ports-

Bar Harbor- very quaint and pretty. Tendered, and all smoothly run. We booked bike hire here to explore Acadia Park. All easy to do, and really enjoyed this on a beautiful sunny day. We also had time to explore at the port area too.

Portland-

Another nice port pity it was a short stay, it wasn’t long enough. Again, we hired bikes and cycled to the 3 lighthouses that were nearest.  The Bug light, Spring Point Ledge Light, and Portland Head light. These were all lovely, and we had another sunny day too! We just had time to grab a Holy Donut to eat as we made our way to the ship (no line at 14.00)

Boston-

A cloudy day, but we walked into the centre. We did the Freedom Trail, Cheers bar, and a bit of shopping, and generally explored.

Halifax-

A sunny day, though cooler. we walked to the Citadel, and explored the site, which was good, we then walked to the Titanic Cemetery.  This was further than expected, so we got transport back to the port area. All the lovely boardwalk venues were starting to close, which was disappointing, as when we walked through in the morning it all looked good. We managed to grab a ‘Beaver Tails’, before boarding.

St John’s NB-

Another sunny day, we walked along the harbour walkway to the area where you see the Reversing Falls Rapids, at the Bay of Fundy. This is where Skywalk is located. There are plenty of places to see without going to this venue. Nothing much to see, unless you are here for both tides. We also walked to Fort Howe Lookout, and generally explored.

By far the Maine ports were our favourites.

Debarkation-We were given tags for 7.45, but we were in no hurry, so swapped at guest services for 9.45. No issues getting off, all smooth. It was a bit chaotic outside as people were getting transport to leave, and transport was arriving! The lines of traffic were long. We booked an Uber to Manhattan (Financial District) where we were staying for 4 nights. We waited for approx. 15 minutes, and it cost $44. The ship offers a shuttle to Times Sq, for $45 PP!

So overall really enjoyed the cruise, and the ship. Would definitely sail on Anthem again, though not those ports. There was an older crowd on board (we are 55/50), and barely any kids. Never felt crowded, apart from dining!

Hopefully I’ve covered everything…..