Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, The German Guys said:

Hi Jim,
thanks for douple Check with Alexandra & Daniel from the worldclass bar. Arfin is also an outstanding staff member. He may also have told you that he is doing a training on board to become a bulter. We hope he looks after us one day. Please send him lovely greeting from "Mr. Bernd & Mr. Udo", when you meet him again. He ist a really great guy.
Thank you very much Jim!   ….and apologize that we misspelled Iain's name last time

I will pass it on.   I was asking him last night if he would like to be a waiter and he said no.    He didn't mention he would like to be a butler, but would make a good one.  

No problem with misspelling Iain's name.   It is the Scottish spelling of the British/Irish Ian .    Three vowels in a row confuse everyone. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will pass it on.   I was asking him last night if he would like to be a waiter and he said no.    He didn't mention he would like to be a butler, but would make a good one.  

No problem with misspelling Iain's name.   It is the Scottish spelling of the British/Irish Ian .    Three vowels in a row confuse everyone. 

Isn't Ewan another spelling?

2 hours ago, chamima said:

I would sure love to know the truth of whether or not the waiters have to share their tips.

We have had the same wonderful waiter for the last three years in Blu and his tips from us (cash in addition to the added-in gratuities attached to our reservation) have gotten larger and larger every year. He has certainly earned every cent but I've heard many rumors about all of the waiters in Blu having to share even their cash tips.

(And this would apply to Murano, Tuscan and Luminae as well)

it would make me sad if he really had to do this but I WOULD love to know what the truth is!

I've heard mixed remarks on when a staff can keep the tip as oppose to sharing it.   The consistent thing I hear is that if you give it to them cash in an envelope with their name on it they can personally keep it.   If you tip using the extra tipping against your on-board credit it is shared.   

It really rubs me the wrong way that if we received service above and beyond and wish to give the individual a personal thank you in the form of additional tips that they would have to split it with someone who may have given us less than stellar performance.  

3 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Isn't Ewan another spelling?

Just asked Iain and he said no... it's a totally different name.  

Decided to Google on it and this is what I came up with.   I learned something new today.

Ewan is a Scottish, male given name, most common throughout the United Kingdom and Canada, due to the influence of Scots in both nations. It is a derivative of the Pictish name, Vuen (or 'Wen'), which is the Pictish British cognate of Eoghan in Gaelic.[1] It is also, less commonly, a surname.

It is said to mean "born of the yew (tree)"[2] and is also associated loosely with the Scottish divinity of the glen. In Gaelic etymology, Ewan implies a plethoric (red-faced) individual.

Owain is the predominant Welsh spelling of the name (or Owen when Anglicized), but Iwan and Iuan are also found, as they are in Cornish. Ouen can be considered the French or Breton spelling of the name.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just asked Iain and he said no... it's a totally different name.  

Decided to Google on it and this is what I came up with.   I learned something new today.

Ewan is a Scottish, male given name, most common throughout the United Kingdom and Canada, due to the influence of Scots in both nations. It is a derivative of the Pictish name, Vuen (or 'Wen'), which is the Pictish British cognate of Eoghan in Gaelic.[1] It is also, less commonly, a surname.

It is said to mean "born of the yew (tree)"[2] and is also associated loosely with the Scottish divinity of the glen. In Gaelic etymology, Ewan implies a plethoric (red-faced) individual.

Owain is the predominant Welsh spelling of the name (or Owen when Anglicized), but Iwan and Iuan are also found, as they are in Cornish. Ouen can be considered the French or Breton spelling of the name.

Learn something new every day.  I think I once read that it was a Scottish derivative of Ian when Star Wars Episode 1 came, propelling Ewan McGregor to stardom.  (Bit of trivia - his uncle played Wedge Antilles in the original trilogy and Ewan spent his childhood playing mock lightsaber battles.  How cool is it that he got to do for as real as it gets.) 

• Like 1

November 15

Arrived at King's Warf this morning and could feel the ship shutter as the thrusters were turned on for docking.   The ship was cleared around 9:15.

We had breakfast in our room at 9:00 -   We have been in a rut and ordering 2 Poached Eggs on Toast, either bacon or sausage, Premium OJ and Tea for Iain and a Double Cappuccino for me every morning.   John, our butler, has been delivering it piping hot and on time.   He is truly one of the best butlers we have had.

Speaking of good service our stateroom attendants are probably the best we have had.    We actually have 2 as one of them just joined Celebrity and is being trained.   If I leave a shirt or jacket on the back of a chair she folds it and neatly places it on the chair.    Tonight I noticed she had folded our dirty laundry and had it arranged neatly on the floor of our closet.   Almost makes me embarrassed to leave anything laying out of place.... LOL.  

We decided to stay aboard until after 10:00 to allow the crowds to make way to the first Ferry.   

The ferry runs every 1 1/2 hours from Kings Wharf to Hamilton.   All day passes or individual fare tokens are purchased at the tourist office and it ran us $18.00 round trip for the two of us.   Our wait was only about 20 minutes before boarding the ferry for our scenic half hour ride.    

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've heard mixed remarks on when a staff can keep the tip as oppose to sharing it.   The consistent thing I hear is that if you give it to them cash in an envelope with their name on it they can personally keep it.   If you tip using the extra tipping against your on-board credit it is shared.   

It really rubs me the wrong way that if we received service above and beyond and wish to give the individual a personal thank you in the form of additional tips that they would have to split it with someone who may have given us less than stellar performance.  

I think I have the straight story as it pertains to Luminae. I have been told by a suite manager and two different Luminae mangers that, because it is such a team effort, all tips are pooled. The waiters keep an eye on each other to make sure that happens. The Luminae sommelier keeps whatever he/she receives as they are separate from the serving team.

All other positions,  throughout the ship, get to keep any cash they receive. Any tips charged to your ship account are pooled.

• Thanks 1

You pick up ferry tickets at the tourist office the proceed to ferry. 

FE4528BC-AAAE-4AA3-A103-A8BE950F9A94.thumb.jpeg.17d6f2677ec4ecbdceca48fb49faa65e.jpeg

D7604B03-073F-4E56-B1AC-85738BCC3603.thumb.jpeg.b1df6501c55d7ca67b08d27554925d57.jpeg

819CBAE3-CB1C-49D3-9906-31E3EA991F33.thumb.jpeg.54a8f63bd7234d89763ccf54a6378186.jpeg

We just strolled around Hamilton and enjoyed ourselves.   Weather was overcast and about 72 f with 10-20 mph winds. 

5E0F8D2D-36E9-4DFF-A920-5CFABDB426B7.thumb.jpeg.72efffc5623379a973f2f125147d9ff9.jpeg

9296606C-AF0D-469F-A185-B055748BF4B0.thumb.jpeg.89f3d30059e93b633e1c1741d2b07e37.jpeg

A66AF1BF-30DC-499F-B459-49ED34520635.thumb.jpeg.7e417b563f52e6090eb87f9992c01444.jpeg

AC798D98-92DD-4975-8D89-1E7A843207FA.thumb.jpeg.8819e3d5d130b37d70450cdd13b5793a.jpeg

836CAF44-6942-44FD-8B7B-CB71096C94DD.thumb.jpeg.b3c43fd404b7a1343a24d6e7e08980ae.jpeg

837A9AD6-B479-444A-B2FF-2F5E221BAA8D.thumb.jpeg.386cdafd0bffaf71a6253bbb573a4fd8.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I think I have the straight story as it pertains to Luminae. I have been told by a suite manager and two different Luminae mangers that, because it is such a team effort, all tips are pooled. The waiters keep an eye on each other to make sure that happens. The Luminae sommelier keeps whatever he/she receives as they are separate from the serving team.

All other positions,  throughout the ship, get to keep any cash they receive. Any tips charged to your ship account are pooled.

Interesting!    I can understand that.  It is a shame that our waiter Vincent who is excellent and has served us for the entire cruise has to share.  

28 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I was told the same thing by a maitre d' in Luminae.  But I was also told this by a maitre d' in Blu.  It really is a team effort in both those restaurants, so it makes sense to me.  If I ever sail with Maja or Bogdan (the suite managers I absolutely trust) again, I'll ask them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting!    I can understand that.  It is a shame that our waiter Vincent who is excellent and has served us for the entire cruise has to share.  

Here is my second experience, which may help Vincent get the reward he deserves. On my last cruise, the sommelier in Luminae was outstanding. After two nights of discussion about wine and several tastings, he “got” my wine preferences. His recommendations were spot on. As we know, there is a comment card, available at Guest Relations, which lets us comment on a crew member who has provided outstanding service. I wrote a very nice, detailed, card about the sommelier. (Sorry, I am awful with names, but would recognize him, if I saw him.)  About two days later, I sit down for dinner. He appears within minutes and places a glass of wine in front of me and says “I think you will like this.”  One taste, and I clearly knew this was a wine well above the premium package level. I thanked him for it. ( I am paraphrasing here.). He said that no, it is I who thank you. Your comment card about me was read at our meeting. Because of it, I get extra time off and it will help me toward a promotion. I jokingly said, you”ll get some extra sleep. He said no, I can read and study more about wine. I want to become a Master Sommelier. 

A really nice comment card about Vincent may be a good thing, if you haven’t already done that.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 3

BTW, I shall be requesting Vincent on the Nov. 30 cruise. Please alert him that a solo, older, light  (almost silver) haired lady, who takes lemon in her morning tea and loves wine, will be on the lookout for him, based on Jim’s and Iain’s recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

Here is my second experience, which may help Vincent get the reward he deserves. On my last cruise, the sommelier in Luminae was outstanding. After two nights of discussion about wine and several tastings, he “got” my wine preferences. His recommendations were spot on. As we know, there is a comment card, available at Guest Relations, which lets us comment on a crew member who has provided outstanding service. I wrote a very nice, detailed, card about the sommelier. (Sorry, I am awful with names, but would recognize him, if I saw him.)  About two days later, I sit down for dinner. He appears within minutes and places a glass of wine in front of me and says “I think you will like this.”  One taste, and I clearly knew this was a wine well above the premium package level. I thanked him for it. ( I am paraphrasing here.). He said that no, it is I who thank you. Your comment card about me was read at our meeting. Because of it, I get extra time off and it will help me toward a promotion. I jokingly said, you”ll get some extra sleep. He said no, I can read and study more about wine. I want to become a Master Sommelier. 

A really nice comment card about Vincent may be a good thing, if you haven’t already done that.

We try to do the comment card at least several times during a cruise! We recognize "anyone" that goes above and beyond their duties, or is outstanding in their job they are assigned. My favorite comment card went to a restroom attendant - for the job they had, always a smile, hand towels were folded ready to hand you one, everything was always sparkling clean or they were cleaning, always spoke with such a happy, positive perspective - that was their assigned position for the 10 nights we were on board the Reflections - they needed recognized for such a great job they did! I think if more people would look for the good in the crew there would be much less complaining. It can also change their lives in a positive way too. (the crew member or their own depending on the experience)

Our Sommelier on that same cruise was very good, but run ragged, every evening he was on triple duty in the Blu, Tuscan & Luminae - He would come and talk for just a quick moment,  pour and then make a mad dash to the next glass to refill. I sadly don't remember his name, but he also brought wines that were great. 

Edited by cruizefam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We headed back to the ship around 3:00. Last ferry is at 6:00 pm

The last ferry was 4.30pm. There was a sign up showing ferries at 6, 7.30 and 9 but only on selected dates. Ours wasn’t one of them. 

Buses were here running later. We got the 6.15 bus from the terminal but there were a couple that would have left later had we wanted to hang out in Hamilton longer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Straughn said:

That is an interesting way of providing extra reward.   Last year the bartender and the MCC on Constellation were exceptional.   While in port we purchased them both a beautiful silver necklace and charm.   They were both very pleased and thanked us many times over.   We also found out our Assistant Waiter really LOVED Chocolate.   We would pick her up a little box of chocolate in each port.   

11 hours ago, Straughn said:

BTW, I shall be requesting Vincent on the Nov. 30 cruise. Please alert him that a solo, older, light  (almost silver) haired lady, who takes lemon in her morning tea and loves wine, will be on the lookout for him, based on Jim’s and Iain’s recommendations.

I am sure he will be pleased.   On this cruise he works the back room along with Davud (David in Turkish) who is also very good.   

Vincent is from Mauritius and is consistently efficient.    

10 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

The last ferry was 4.30pm. There was a sign up showing ferries at 6, 7.30 and 9 but only on selected dates. Ours wasn’t one of them. 

Buses were here running later. We got the 6.15 bus from the terminal but there were a couple that would have left later had we wanted to hang out in Hamilton longer.

Thanks for the correction.   We came back much earlier.   

11/16/18 

Awoke to bright sunny skies and smooth seas.   I didn't even feel Silhouette depart early this morning.   We are on our last leg and will be arriving FLL on Sunday morning.   

Tonight we will be dining at Murano's as a guest of The Future Cruise Manager sent us a certificate for 2 free dinners at any specialty restaurant we chose.  Looking forward to it as it is my favorite.   

Classic Beverage Package -

I don't recall if I already posted.    I checked with a bartender and he confirmed that the new limit is $11 for the Classic Beverage package.   

A question I also received was what the price of Chivas Regal trying to figure out if they were going to upgrade.   The Price of Chivas is now $12 so only a upcharge of $1.00 

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can easily bypass the system. Ask Vincent where he works outside of Luminae, then slip him some cash outside of that venue then he's able to keep the tip for himself.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Straughn said:

We were on the cruise before this one and we were told by Franco that the tips were all pooled and that is how I have always assumed that it happened in all Luminaes but I may be wrong. I gave our waitress a little extra and she also told me that the tips were shared. I prefer that as I don not like walking in with a bundle of envelopes. I just put it all in one envelope and hand to the Maitre (having asked him to make sure that they are still shared). Almost everyone in Luminae helps us at some part of the cruise and they all work to create the atmosphere in the restaurant.

Going back to the first time in Luminae, on the Eclipse three years ago, the Maitre had a book that she recorded all the tips in and made sure all of the staff knew if you had left extra before you left.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Doesn't matter who served you in Luminae.

They all worked very hard and give excellent services to their Customers.

They are specially selected to work at Luminae what ever ship they have contract with.

I recently met one waiter on Infinity that remember me that used to worked on Eclipse.