Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

following on guys as usual and enjoying the write ups........I hope you remembered your big coats I suggested.

Wind and rain....we get enough of this in Scotland so that's why we never pick the sailing you are on lol..........

We did indeed bring our heavy jackets as well as lighter puffer jackets.   In Silicon Valley we only get rain between November and March and only occasionally get frost so not as accustomed to wearing the heavier one very often.  Today has been a pleasant 22C and rain more of the Irish Mist variety.   

What area of Scotland are you from?   I may have mentioned that Iain is a Scott by birth and his entire family is still in Ayrshire.   I swear at times he has THICK SKIN as he often doesn't even have a sweater on while I am bundled up.  

So far the crossing has been pleasant temperature wise.    I heard from a friend that just arrived in FLL on Reflection.   She said the Southern Crossing was rough and they arrived a day early to drop off a medial emergency but then went immediately back out for their final day at sea.   

Edited by Jim_Iain

2 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have received plastic straws at breakfast in Luminae with juice and with smoothies.  We did not request them.   They are already opened and in the drink.

Interesting to hear. 

We never dine in Luminae for breakfast, preferring instead to have breakfast delivered daily.   I have, however probably mentioned, that Iain is a very late raiser and hardly ever gets up before 9:00.   I'm sure he is sill recovering from having to get up at 5:00 AM for so many years before retirement.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Love it.... Autocorrect can really put some funny things at times.   Thanks for pointing it out.   

My favorites of all time was a couple years ago.   The Canopy that they open at the Gang Way had Millennium spelled incorrectly.  

When Summit had Normandie, the guest invoice would say "Normandy" :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

Hi Jim

Could you find out who the World Class bartenders are , if you get a chance, and how long they'll be on the ship.

We tend to spend a good amount of time there and a good bartender really makes a difference.

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Went up to do some walking this morning.  The winds are too strong to comfortably walk and it did a little drizzle earlier.   I ended up in the Gym instead and got a long workout on the Elliptical.   Surprisingly the gym wasn't very busy. 

I also went out walking this morning on Deck 14, around 7:30am. Definitely too windy.  So I bailed as well and swam laps in the outside pool, which was a comfortable temperature, although getting in and out was really crazy in that wind.  Still no water in the solarium pool, as your photo shows. 

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I also went out walking this morning on Deck 14, around 7:30am. Definitely too windy.  So I bailed as well and swam laps in the outside pool, which was a comfortable temperature, although getting in and out was really crazy in that wind.  Still no water in the solarium pool, as your photo shows. 

Curious - Do you know why there is no water in the solarium pool?

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Still no water in the solarium pool, as your photo shows. 

They must have emptied it again as there was water in it on Wednesday.

I’ve posted photos and videos to my Instagram page, one shows water in the Solarium pool. I find it easier to upload there than with the limitations here. My instagram is also ukpete71.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

I’ve posted photos and videos to my Instagram page, one shows water in the Solarium pool. I find it easier to upload there than with the limitations here. My instagram is also ukpete71.

Just found you on Instagram and following.

Seems odd thar the solarium pool is closed when the weather has stopped swimming outside.

Edited by upwarduk

On 11/8/2018 at 8:47 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

You are as ever correct but we travel in suites because we like the extra space. We only pick an RS if the price is good or it is around a special birthday or a special anniversary. Most times we are in a CS with the larger balcony or a Sky suite at the back. I suspect our pattern will not change on reaching Zenith.  

There isn’t a need to be defensive.  I’m not questioning your choice, just your reply to another poster and the speed of being able to achieve Zenith which doesn’t tell the whole story.  Of course when you reach Zenith your perks for reaching that level will be similar to or possibly less than those you are used to in your suite anyway.

Phil

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There isn’t a need to be defensive.  I’m not questioning your choice, just your reply to another poster and the speed of being able to achieve Zenith which doesn’t tell the whole story.  Of course when you reach Zenith your perks for reaching that level will be similar to or possibly less than those you are used to in your suite anyway. 

Phil

We actually did the bit up to Elite in AQ under the old system, where you got an extra point for staying in an AQ cabin and an extra for doing more than a number of nights that I can't remember now but 14 night cruises in AQ gave 3 points times 3. Between Nov 2012 and September 2013 we did 3 14 night cruises and an 8 night tagged on to the first cruise. At the time we couldn't believe how quick you could move through the different loyalty levels to Elite which was as high as it went then. We had done 6 cruises with Princess and we had just reached Platinum there.

I suspect the speed of build up is down to me not liking short cruises but it is becoming harder to find 14 plus night cruises with Celebrity at a time that fits in with my work. If we do a 7 night it is always tagged on to a longer cruise. I am never ready to leave a cruise ship no matter how long I have been on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We actually did the bit up to Elite in AQ under the old system, where you got an extra point for staying in an AQ cabin and an extra for doing more than a number of nights that I can't remember now but 14 night cruises in AQ gave 3 points times 3. Between Nov 2012 and September 2013 we did 3 14 night cruises and an 8 night tagged on to the first cruise. At the time we couldn't believe how quick you could move through the different loyalty levels to Elite which was as high as it went then. We had done 6 cruises with Princess and we had just reached Platinum there.

I suspect the speed of build up is down to me not liking short cruises but it is becoming harder to find 14 plus night cruises with Celebrity at a time that fits in with my work. If we do a 7 night it is always tagged on to a longer cruise. I am never ready to leave a cruise ship no matter how long I have been on.

I got to Elite after 7 Cruises under similar terms.  It was an extra point for sailing in a suite, concierge or later, AQ and another extra point for 12 night sailings or longer.  I couldn't help feeling a bit of a fraud for getting to Elite so quickly, but that is the way Celebrity worked it out.  I should think with all the free drinks they’ve had to give away (more latterly negated by all the inclusive drinks packages and subsequent rise in fares), they must have rued the idea.

Anyway, I feel I’ve taken this off track a bit.  Sorry Jim.  Hope the sea is calmer now as you approach Miami.  

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

Thanks Pete/Kath.  I guess I wasn’t walking by on Wednesday. :classic_blink:  But they’ve definitely had it drained at times when the outdoor pools were open, which is weird. Maybe they think it’s just too far forward for the motion we’ve been having (although we have rarely been pitching, just rolling).

As for the outer decks, Deck 5 has been closed every time I’ve passed a door. Deck 14 has had frequent door closures, especially midships near the buffet, though often only on one side, and the forward doors near the Sky Lounge have generally been open.  And, as noted above, you can access Deck 14 from the outside stairs on Deck 12.

Yesterday afternoon, I walked up to the stern on Deck 15 outside from Deck 14 midship and it was so windy I was surprised it was open up there. 

Edited to add: I just walked by the pools, and there’s water now in all of them, including the solarium. 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chamima said:

Hi Jim

Could you find out who the World Class bartenders are , if you get a chance, and how long they'll be on the ship.

We tend to spend a good amount of time there and a good bartender really makes a difference.

Thanks!

Will check it out and get back to you.

7 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

I shot that one really early one morning.   I wonder if they later filled it up.   I believe I remember seeing the main pool full of water yesterday. 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I got to Elite after 7 Cruises under similar terms.  It was an extra point for sailing in a suite, concierge or later, AQ and another extra point for 12 night sailings or longer.  I couldn't help feeling a bit of a fraud for getting to Elite so quickly, but that is the way Celebrity worked it out.  I should think with all the free drinks they’ve had to give away (more latterly negated by all the inclusive drinks packages and subsequent rise in fares), they must have rued the idea.

Anyway, I feel I’ve taken this off track a bit.  Sorry Jim.  Hope the sea is calmer now as you approach Miami.  

Phil

Not a problem.    I learn from our other members all the time.  

45 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Pete/Kath.  I guess I wasn’t walking by on Wednesday. :classic_blink:  But they’ve definitely had it drained at times when the outdoor pools were open, which is weird. Maybe they think it’s just too far forward for the motion we’ve been having (although we have rarely been pitching, just rolling).

As for the outer decks, Deck 5 has been closed every time I’ve passed a door. Deck 14 has had frequent door closures, especially midships near the buffet, though often only on one side, and the forward doors near the Sky Lounge have generally been open.  And, as noted above, you can access Deck 14 from the outside stairs on Deck 12.

Yesterday afternoon, I walked up to the stern on Deck 15 outside from Deck 14 midship and it was so windy I was surprised it was open up there. 

Edited to add: I just walked by the pools, and there’s water now in all of them, including the solarium. 

I did the same yesterday.   I was only able to make one lap and gave up because the wind was so strong.    I ended up overdoing it on the elliptical for 2 hours.   My calves feel like cows this morning.