Excursions + Self Exploration?

Waywardspirit

Hi, I am on a Celebrity Cruise which docks a day in Cozumel from 7am - 6pm.  I am looking at excursions on the Celebrity site, but am disappointed none of them list the departure/return times, only max length.

We are hoping to find a fun short excursion that leaves us room to explore Cozumel ourselves and hopefully see some culture/less touristy spots.

Any recommendations?

Either choose a shorter excursion that will leave you time to explore/shop downtown (a short under $10 cab ride) or skip the excursions and plan your own day. 

Cozumel is an island so most of the activities revolve around the beaches and water (snorkel, swim with the dolphins, etc.). Not much culture on the island - there is a small Mayan ruin (not worth it IMHO), but you can hire a driver or a taxi for a tour of the island - the East side is almost empty of tourists and offers some great scenery and funky bars. 

Cabs are fairly well regulated on Cozumel, especially compared to the crooks in Philly :classic_angry:), with fares to most of the popular tourist spots & downtown listed on a board near the taxi line.  Bring some small bills ($1 and $5) - cab drivers everywhere never seem to have any change when you pull out a $20.

Everywhere you are likely to go on Cozumel as a tourist will be happy to accept US dollars.  Most of the menus will list the prices in dollars.  Check the exchange rate before you go so that you can calculate any prices listed in Pesos in shops, etc.  No reason to exchange dollars to pesos unless you are going to be on the island for several days.

If you do a mock booking for the excursion, it will probably show you the times. You do not have to complete the transaction if the time does not work for you. Keep in mind that you might have to present yourself a half hour or so before the time listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel is the perfect destination for exploring on your own for several reasons.  

#1....  everyone is friendly and helpful, most speak perfect English.

#2...  taxis are available on the westside of island, anywhere anytime.  (this is the side of all cruise ports)

#3....  hundreds of restaurants, all reasonably priced.  

#4...  cheap beach clubs

#5....  water sports, snorkeling, diving, etc available

and the list goes on....

• 3 weeks later...

One of the times we went to Cozumel, we had a long port day. We rented a car, went to the “back side” of the island, ate at this little (amazing) place called Mezcalitos where they had free beach hammocks, went to the back beach, drove to Carlos & Charley’s, did a couple of other things but I wasn’t the driver and the trips kind of blend together lol. Anyway, it was fun. The island isn’t huge so getting lost isn’t easy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely rent a Jeep and explore the other side of the island. The beach’s there are gorgeous and I liked the Mayan Ruins. They are a lot smaller than others but if you are into history it’s interesting. If you see The Amazing Secret River excursion on your list I highly recommend it. It’s a beautiful underground cave system that you get guided through and it truly is amazing. I know Carnival offers it only on the longer port days because it’s on the mainland and you have to ferry over. We loved the ferry ride because we saw hundreds of flying fish. I never seen them before and it seemed liked they were following the boat.