Christmas Day - What to expect?

POA1

Our upcoming cruise has a sea day on December 25th, but it's our last day, so I know it won't be a gala night. Do they do anything special or will it be the usual Culinary Council menu? 

Christmas Eve tends to be the more special event and Christmas Day is usually very quiet. We have been noticing a lot of changes in the Gala Night as well as the final dinner night menu- all for the better.  More variety, new items but with many of the same standards too - often depends on the length of the cruise.

Last 34 day segment cruise the wonderful head chef knew he could not keep serving the same menus for every Gala Night. Final night menu as I recall was a fairly standard array of offerings - nothing contrived as in the past. A small recognition of the culinary team was all that was featured on the final evening.

I agree that the Christmas Eve dinner menu probably will be more of the "gala night" type than on Christmas Day.  On Christmas Day, there will be a morning program in the Showroom (whatever its name) with the cruise staff leading a carol sing and featuring a video of the arrival on the ship of Santa.  It is a program not to be missed!  The Captain participates with a Voice from the Bridge type of updates as Santa approaches the ship.  Children and youth are presented with gifts by Santa and everyone who wishes a photo with Mr. Claus is welcomed onto the stage for such.

Depending upon the date of your cruise departure, a Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony is held in the Atrium.  Staff members lead the singing of Christmas carols and Stewards distribute Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, and maybe warm apple cider.  On  cruises sailing just a few days before Christmas, i.e. December 23rd, this ceremony will be held soon after sailing.  For those sailing earlier in December, but the cruise includes Christmas Day, the Tree Lighting will be held a few days before the 25th.

I have been fortunate to attend these programs both when we at sea on the 25th as well as in a port.  At sea, the Christmas celebration was a bit more "special", I thought.  But, that could also have been due to a different crew on the ship.

• Like 2

Thanks, all!  Based on our itinerary and the fact that our cruise ends on the 26th, our 2nd Gala Night will probably be the 24th, a sea day. Christmas is a sea day, but since it's our last day, they won't schedule a Gala Night regardless.

Looking forward to it!

If you're Catholic or even if you're not, they will hold Midnight Mass. On my cruise it was in the Main Show Lounge and was ope to both passengers and staff. A number of passengers complained about (1) the late hour of the service, which actually began closer to 11pm than Midnight, and (2) that the staff were allowed to attend. (I have been on cruises with some really rude people.) 

Afternoon Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were pretty low-key on my cruise because we were crossing the Pacific and the seas were incredibly rough and many of the ship's services were cancelled and outside desk were closed off. I understand this was an unusual Christmas at Sea.

We've spent every Christmas with HA since 2011.  The one event that stands out over the years was the Noordam carol sing-along on Christmas morning.  Held in the Atrium, "snow" fell from the top floor, and afterwards, the crew served hot cider and Christmas cookies.  It was quite spectacular, as the snow sparkled.  I can remember the children playing in the 4 or so inches of "snow" before the crew had a chance to vacuum it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We've spent every Christmas with HA since 2011.  The one event that stands out over the years was the Noordam carol sing-along on Christmas morning.  Held in the Atrium, "snow" fell from the top floor, and afterwards, the crew served hot cider and Christmas cookies.  It was quite spectacular, as the snow sparkled.  I can remember the children playing in the 4 or so inches of "snow" before the crew had a chance to vacuum it.  

Something like that was scheduled for Christmas on my cruise, but with the rough seas pretty much everything but meal services were canceled. That would have been a great deal of fun!

16 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We will be on the Noordam this Christmas. I am really looking forward to it.