Baseball caps in restaurants

cruiser man 60

IMHO....It's unfortunately normal to see this. I find it rude when men do not remove hats indoors. I attend many events where our National Anthem is played and there are people that leave them on during. :classic_sad: Decency and respect have gone out the window. 

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/03/why-we-are-supposed-to-take-our-hats-off-for-the-national-anthem/

• Like 5

This has been current "fashion" for years.  I used to forbid my teenaged son from wearing any sort of hat in a restaurant other than a luncheonette (as my father had previously done to me), until he pointed out the large number of men wearing ball caps.  I can't say I'm happy about it, but customs change.  In the early 1960s I had to wear a suit to go to theater in New York.  I lived in Colorado for 20 years and saw many, many cowboy hats worn in restaurants.

Edited by FLAHAM

There are always a certain percentage of men who wear baseball hats to the buffet or MDR or specialty restaurants. 

I find it distasteful but whom am I to encroach on someone else's vacation enjoyment.  that said, I always think those folks are just covering up unwashed hair, the cruise ship equivalent of the walk of shame.  ha!

I'm 51 now but I recall as a kid that if I ever sat down at the table with a cap on my dad would remove it with the back of his hand with a swift swat landing just above the ear. I recall not forgetting to remove my cap too many times 😉. Times, however, have changed and I really try to not let what other people choose to wear interfere with my enjoyment. I think it proper for a no cap ethos to be respected in more formal environments (like specialties or the MDR) even if the dress code is casual. That said, in the buffet, its okay IMO. I'm actually more disturbed by the use of smart phones in dining situations truth be told.

• Like 7

i could personally care less what anyone else is wearing when I go out to eat as ling as they have cloths on.  I personally would not wear a hat to dinner but I am not going to worry for one second on my vacation what others wear or dont

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pieshops said:

i could personally care less what anyone else is wearing when I go out to eat as ling as they have cloths on.  I personally would not wear a hat to dinner but I am not going to worry for one second on my vacation what others wear or dont

I cannot agree more. Seems busy body to worry about a cap worn in restaurants in 2018. I see people with their face in phones in the ships' restaurants too. That's what people do in the 21st Century.

Edited by IrieBajan54
punctuation
  • Like 1

On my first NCL cruise, I was surprised to see a man wearing a baseball cap in Cagney's, as my dad had always said that a gentleman doesn't wear a hat indoors.  I never saw it on the other cruise lines I cruise on (Celebrity and Crystal) and I haven't seen it lately on NCL.  I really don't care what anyone wears, it just shows me their character if they wear a hat indoors or they don't take it off for the national anthem.

58 minutes ago, cdnsteelman said:

I'm 51 now but I recall as a kid that if I ever sat down at the table with a cap on my dad would remove it with the back of his hand with a swift swat landing just above the ear. I recall not forgetting to remove my cap too many times 😉. Times, however, have changed and I really try to not let what other people choose to wear interfere with my enjoyment. I think it proper for a no cap ethos to be respected in more formal environments (like specialties or the MDR) even if the dress code is casual. That said, in the buffet, its okay IMO. I'm actually more disturbed by the use of smart phones in dining situations truth be told.

I was at Mom's Diner at the MGM Studio at Disney World a couple of years ago. This is a 50's themed restaurant. The waitress would not take my order, or even give me a menu, until I took off my hat.

• Like 2

I have to agree.  Most men today have no sense of etiquette, have no class, and style is an unknown word to them.  In today’s world, many men won’t even wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral.

I really get upset with those who wear baseball caps in a restaurant proclaiming their military service.  One of the first things they teach during basic training is to remove the hat/cap as you enter a building. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even NCL doesn't allow baseball hats/visors in the MDR or specialty restaurants according to the dress code but I can't imagine the staff asking a guest to remove a hat.

As for the hats being used to hide baldness/receding hairline, I agree with your suspicion.

Please point out where on the NCL website is says hats and visors violate the dress code.

5 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Please point out where on the NCL website is says hats and visors violate the dress code.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.  

LINK

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.  

LINK

Thank you.  I had not seen that.

I have seen much worst on a cruise ship. Wearing a cap or hat in a restaurant is certainly not something I would use to determine a person as being rude, offensive, classless and/or having no sense of etiquette. I would never prejudge a person based on something so trivial as wearing a cap or hat in a restaurant. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I have to agree.  Most men today have no sense of etiquette, have no class, and style is an unknown word to them.  In today’s world, many men won’t even wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral.

I really get upset with those who wear baseball caps in a restaurant proclaiming their military service.  One of the first things they teach during basic training is to remove the hat/cap as you enter a building.

I hope you have the same opinion when you see a woman not removing their baseball cap etc. They also have no class or etiquette or style.....  men are not exclusive to not wearing something clean to a funeral etc.....  This isn't the 1920s where a woman's hat was pinned, had flowers, decorations weaved in and was part of an elaborate outfit....... pulling a pony tail through the back doesn't count.

No excuse for women not to be held accountable as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The worst offenders are the guys who enter a restaurant with their hats on and eventually remove them and place them on the table!  Like would they place their socks or underwear on the table? They probably would, as there are some that just don't get it. 

• Like 2